VALUE OF THE F512M | Page 2 | FerrariChat

VALUE OF THE F512M

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by geno berns, Mar 1, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    I own a 512tr and it has about 3k on the clock. That said , I think it is the best of the 3. I also owned a '90 tr that was gorgeous. I just don't warm up to the M. I can see where some do but for me it is just not right. The market on the used to be about 175k 10 years ago. I suspect they have jumped somewhat. I think 200k or more is the market. I wouldn't take 135k for my 512. It is a perfect car and drives like a dream.

2. gsjohnson

gsjohnson Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    GS Johnson
    The 512tr is my next purchase. I love that car. It is not as crude as the Testa (No slight to Testa owners) but retained the looks with a few minor tweeks. I then the mechanical improvements have already been discussed. I may not prefer the M, but I'd take one in a heart beat...the last and most refined Testarossa.

3. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    When I got serious about a Testarossa, I had a copy of Octane in which they did a writeup on the 512M, a Daytona coupe, and the 550 Maranello. I somehow had the idea that it would be, maybe, 20K more than a late model 512TR...ha.

The first Testarossa that I actually saw up close was a 512TR, and it was at Boardwalk Ferrari here in Dallas. It was just a couple 10K over my budget, but a beutiful car; low mileage and immaculate.

Personally looked at 2 more 512TR cars; one was a records mess in Arizona, the second just as nice (and expensive) as the Boardwalk car - James Patterson at Norwoods told me about it and had me come in when it was in the shop. Owner was a great guy who wanted to sell, but again I felt it was over budget unless I was willing to sell my other collector.

So, went down in expectation to an 87.5 car; dual mirrors and single bolts - looked at two (one personally in Chicago, one in KC Missouri by an Fchatter) ; both had issues.

Having gone through all this, I started going to local events & met Don Rose and his wife. Finally I got to see a real 512M in the flesh, Don told me he even had one of his three up for sale at the time. I did not of course dare ask what he might want, and of course it was Yellow, which my lady does not much care for.

So, about half a year goes by and finally the red/tan single mirror 86 comes up via Ruf Porsche; this I could finally afford, keep the Porsche and the ZR1, and actually hope to have some money left over for maintenance.

This all could kind of be taken as a coulda/woulda/shoulda, but I do not offer any regret or apology. I think that all these are pretty great cars, and so closely related that any of them is at the very top of the car spectrum.

Back on thread topic - my little 3 year search and evaluation of this market says: (all non-junk, non-salvage) Early single mirror - 55K to 69.5K depending on maintenance miles and condition; later Testarossa - maybe 70K to 90K; 512TR - 95K to 125K (and this may have gone up some since I looked), 512M - I would guess in the 175K ++ range or more.

Now that I have it, I find I like the pure design of the early single mirror the best. I have a few issues with the engine cover design of the 512TR and of course I still kind of wish they had kept the folding headlights on the M...but, still all great cars. I just have a feeling that if you want any of these in excellent order for under 100K, now is the time to act.

4. barabus

barabus F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2004
    12 Cylinder Village
    Full Name:
    Si
    Bloody hell sky high prices in the US, my mate recently sold one for around $95,000 (the one in my profile pic), tho it was a high miler, but you can get a really nice low miler over here for $120,000.

5. gsjohnson

gsjohnson Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    GS Johnson
    Yea but you have 425 of them over there and we only have 75 units over here.

6. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Where is "over here" ?

7. gsjohnson

gsjohnson Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    GS Johnson

Only 75 512Ms were imported to the U.S. market. Sorry I assumed that everyone new that.

8. WDR328

WDR328 Formula 3

Dec 11, 2003
    The Bugscuffle Inn
    Full Name:
    D. Rose
    Geno, simply the value equation is how much is the seller willing to take and how much is the buyer willing to pay! You only have a universe of 75 cars from which to select-actually only 74 -one is under a salvage title. It is the last of the mid engine V-12 Ferrari's and although dated is really beginning to see a resurgence in popularity. If Ferrari ceases production of the V12 vehicle you will see a real bump in these cars and all of the 12's

9. WDR328

WDR328 Formula 3

Dec 11, 2003
    The Bugscuffle Inn
    Full Name:
    D. Rose
    Actually, Sean, Ferrari and Speedline did realize that you needed a right and a left hand wheel so the the "propeller" wheels all turn in the same direction! At least they did on my M.:)

10. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    Yes the F512M is some what rare, but consider that it's one varient out of thousands of Testarossas produced. What does not help this car's value are the super low prices of similar cars. There are hundreds of $45k-$65K Testarossas always available in the market place. I have researched the actual sale prices of the F512M (not the asking prices) and have not found any that traded hands for $200K or more. The 75 produced can be considered a low number, however if only 3 or 5 were made the car would have a much better chance. I still think the car will always be a desirable and collectable model, but I do not see this car at $300K any time soon. Based on certain Ferrari guru's assessments, most average to very clean F512M's are worth any where from $130K-$175K today. The cars with ultra low miles should bring $10K more or up to $185K. Not bad when you consider that a good 512 TR costs half. Gene

11. gsjohnson

gsjohnson Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    GS Johnson
    Show me a 512M for 130K and I'll buy it right now! I've been closely watching TRs, 512TRs and 512Ms over the last several months and I've got say that you are out of touch on your 512tr and 512M values. I am in the market for a 512tr and the cheapest I have found one was at 92K...and that car had 40,000 miles on it, no records, books or tools...no owner trail and the engine was replaced at 27,000 miles. Not really the ideal cannidate. I will say, that very few are changing hands right now.

12. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    i think your pretty accurate....its hard to find a great car. Even the early model TRs, its hard to find a very strong car, easy to find alot for sale. Great cars im convinced dont hit ebay, or autotraders....they are sold before the dealers get there hands on them.

The search must continue. :D:D

13. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    I can't show you a F512M priced at $130K since the asking prices have been higher, but no sales.... There is a local car here for sale for $145K with 23,000 miles. It might be bought for less?? You have not been watching very closely as there are 512 TR for under $100K for sale all the time and they do not have 40,000 miles with none original engines. Here is a 10,000 mile example among many others for sale around the country for less than $100K. Wire me $10K deposit and I will find you a super car!! : http://www.ferraris-online.com/pages/carintro.php?reqcardir=FE-512TR-92163

14. gsjohnson

gsjohnson Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    GS Johnson

Yes, you are correct, I have seen that blue 512tr (It is local to me) and it is currently the nicest example for under a 100K on the market (95K). I think the color is hurting this car but the car is a very correct and flawless example, other than the exhaust mod, which I would prefer anyway. The car looks as good in person as in the pics. The color is what motivated me to move on, but still, a very nice example. There is also a high mileage (36,000 miles) one owner red over tan 512tr out by me for 92K, but it needs an engine out major. There are a couple of white ones for under a 100K, but I just can't stomach that color. If you leave the red-black-yellow color arena, the prices are lower for sure. I do think you were closer on the 512tr pricing than the M in pricing. My ideal candidate is yellow over black 512tr, under 20,000 miles and under 110K. The yellow over black one at Lamborghini of Houston is a 124K and they are firm on that one. The yellow over tan one by me is 117K and they are firm on the price as well. The black Michael Jordon 512 tr is priced at 160K where I live as well. The Jordon car is over priced though. There is a very nice low mileage black on black 512 example in Indy for 109K. I have given some thought to flying out there and taking a look at it, but I'm not ready to give up on the yellow over black 512 just yet. So, if you have a line on that yellow over black 512tr for a 110k, the check is in fact, in the mail.

15. gsjohnson

gsjohnson Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    GS Johnson
    Would you PM me the info on that M for 145K?
    Thank you

16. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    I too would like a yellow 512 TR or M. I think they look great in that color. The Lambo of Huston car was $118K about 5 months ago. Now they want more, possibly because it got the major. You are right about the price vs. color. The red, yellow and black cars tend to sell for more. I will try to find the number of the seller of the 512M. Gene

17. gsjohnson

gsjohnson Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    GS Johnson
    I'm sure you noticed the dark blue over cream 512tr that just sold on ebay (if it's a real sale-only 2 bidders) for 90K. 20,000 miles, but I never saw this one in person despite it being out by me. Another off color.

18. Jackmb1

Jackmb1 F1 Rookie

Dec 27, 2005
    Where is this $145K F512M advertised?

19. gsjohnson

gsjohnson Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    GS Johnson
    I requested the same info.

20. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    The car #8 Yellow/Blk with 23,900 miles is about a 7 out of 10 condition. I have access to the car at $145K. If you are interested my friend will broker the deal at a $5K commission paid as a finder's fee. I personally inspected the car and a PPI can be done at LFSC. Let me know if there are questions I can answer only if there is serious interest. Thanks Gene

21. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    It will be interesting to see what this low mileage (3,620) car goes for next weekend.

http://www.murphyauctions.net/ferrari08mar.html

1995 FERRARI 512M (U.S. Marshal seizure)

11AM - SATURDAY - MARCH 22
    Preview 8 to 5 Friday March 21
    18226 68th Avenue NE, Kenmore, WA

LOTS
    FERRARI F512M, 432 hp 4.9L flat 12 engine, 5 spd, A/C, P/W, P/L, Top speed 196 mph, 3620 miles

TERMS & CONDITIONS

Washington Auctioneers License #1960

22. gsjohnson

gsjohnson Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    GS Johnson
    Wow...So 5K to get to the car? I guess we're not all one happy family here at F-Chat.

23. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    sold mine end of last year for £47000 thats $96000 it had 40 thousand miles on it but had factory sports seats seem to be worth a lot more in the us than the uk

24. Godber

Godber Rookie

Mar 7, 2007
    Sheffield, England
    Full Name:
    Andrew Fletcher
  25. Prancing 12

Prancing 12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2004
    The long way home
    You say "most average to very clean F512M's are worth any where from $130K-$175K today." and then go on to offer what sounds to be a bottom 10 (out of 74 ;)) car for basically $150... I don't see the logic in your opinion of the market.