Valve Clearance Measuring and Adjustment Video | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Valve Clearance Measuring and Adjustment Video

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Bell Bloke, Mar 24, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Damn Soucorp, your engine bay is a joy to behold nay it's just plain beautiful. When my engine bay grows up it's going to be just like yours. Mind you something needs to be done about that white oil filter ;-)
    How many miles have you done?

2. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks mate, she's got 27k miles of smiles.

cheers

3. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    #28 andyww, Mar 31, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Whats wrong with white oil filters? Thats the Ferrari OEM fitment. Here is my white oil filter (with an engine attached)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    I once owned a 1969 Spyder and now sort of miss it. Butterscotch in color as seen briefly in The Exorcist. I lived in DC in the early 1970s and have always wondered if it was mine prior to my purchase.

Very very Italian. I have thought my 3.2 QV Mondial as an adult 850.

5. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    #30 Bell Bloke, Mar 31, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
    Wow! Andy that is a peach of an engine and a nice clean shot for me to referance.
    That just has to be another really low milage car just like Soucorp.
    Can either of you take some nice clear pics of your firewall, I need to see what colour and shade it is. Silver I think..?
    That's a great ref for my fuel injection stuff too, my zinc plating kit arrived today so I'm set.
    Wow,keep looking at that pic....stunning!
    Filter is pug ugly though ha ha, although technically correct.
    I painted mine black ;-)
    All the best, Bell

Rapalyea, you have the Fiat that appearedin the Exorcist?.... Coool!!
    'can you help an old altar boy father?'........a very creepy line in the film. I think because of the context of its repetition suggests the omnipresence of the demon.

6. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Blimey! That is showroom state! Marvelous! Don't keep this hatch open on a F day else we all dive in! ;) Ps Where is the white filter? There is so much more to look at in your engine bay! :D Wonder full work Andy. Like Bell mentioned can you share some more pics?

btw nothing wrong with a white filter. It just and eye catcher on a dirty engine. I have a black MANN filter as white is quickly dirty/rusty. There it is. my decision in taking a black filter. :)

7. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Quote 'btw nothing wrong with a white filter. It just and eye catcher on a dirty engine'

Yeh that's why I hate my mine so much ;-)

8. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    #33 andyww, Apr 1, 2014
    Its quite low but mainly owing to many hours spent over the winter!

I am not sure how useful a firewall pic would be as its a 328 and likely different to Mondy. UK 328s have the firewall covered in dark grey foam. Well its a good excuse for another pic though :)

9. Antwan

Antwan Karting

Nov 22, 2013
    Manchester UK
    #34 Antwan, Apr 6, 2014
    Got to say thanks for this thread. I bit ago I asked about what would happen if valve clearances had not been done, I didn't like the reply!! So ive nothing else to do today so in feet first...

I checked all the clearances on the rear bank and good news all were in range apart from 2 which were 0.01mm out. That will do me until I get the engine out after summer and I can do them all with ease.

One problem though, threads have been stripped previously on the cover shown in the pic. (I have also found a split hose if you can help identify - see other thread). What do you suggest? The studs are M6, should I drill out at 6.5mm and tap to 8mm or is there a less brutal way?

Regards, ant

10. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    #35 Bell Bloke, Apr 6, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
    Hi Ant, the engineers way would be to helicoil it that way you can still stick with your 6mm studs. However if the studs didn't really need to come out and you would rather not drill anything you could glue them in with one of the many insanely strong epoxy compounds available and that will be stronger than the original threads if you use the correct stuff. ie I use the stuff that Lotus use on their chassis, it's only 16 pounds for a massive double tube.
    However the ones here do need to come out so you would be better off useing a helicoil.
    If you have never done one before I suggest you practice before hand on some scrap alloy first.
    Hope this helps all the best, Bell

11. Antwan

Antwan Karting

Nov 22, 2013
    Manchester UK
    Great, 2 of 4 studs did not tighten at all and the stud and nut came out whole. I like the sound of the adhesive.

Thank you

12. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Hi Antwan, as long as the stud doesn't need to come out you can use this product. Contact these people and tell them what you are doing,
    http://adtech-industrial.co.uk
    They are very helpful.
    If you go with it then clean out all the oil with thinner or other non oil based cleaner and use the product as per instructions. If for some reason you do it wrong you can just go again with no harm done.

13. Antwan

Antwan Karting

Nov 22, 2013
    Manchester UK
    Good man, thanks

14. Antwan

Antwan Karting

Nov 22, 2013
    Manchester UK
    Bit of a result, the studs are longer on one side than the other. For the holes with stripped threads, I tapped the holes clean and slightly deeper until the tap bottomed out in the hole. I would imagine there is around 5 mm of good thread engagement now and they are holding very well. Locknuts have been replaced with a shallower type so the nylon still grips. Not as original but OK without any major surgery!
    Thanks

15. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Ah good fix! like the sound of that ;-)

16. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
  17. Dave MacLeod

Dave MacLeod Karting

Mar 22, 2008
    Sydney, Australia.
    Awesome. Keep it up Bell.!!

18. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
  19. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
  20. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    That was my first Italian car. It had the heart of a humming bird and a similar life span. I like to joke my 1986 3.2 is the adult version.