Valve Cover Gasket replacement | FerrariChat

Valve Cover Gasket replacement

Discussion in '360/430' started by whatheheck, Jan 17, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    I did a search and didnt come up with anything solid.

As most of you know, a known weak point on the 360 & F430 are the valve cover gaskets. They tend to start leaking after a few thousand miles.

Mine was replaced by the dealer at 21K miles. I now have 29K miles and during last service the dealer noted there are signs of oil leaking again.......dang.....

Im asking if anyone has done the replacement of the valve cover gasket themselves or this is a difficult task and should be just left done by the dealer. Also is there any recommended tips to prevent them from leaking again.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Dan

2. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Those are usually straightfoward, but since i will be doing my coils and plugs soon, I'd be interested to know whether it requires removal of the crossmember. If thats the case, might as well do the tranny mount, intake gaskets, and possibly heat exchanger while the whole thing is torn apart. I would venture to guess by looking though, it doesn't. My cam cover gaskets were replaced last year and they are leaking again..

whatheheck likes this.
  3. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    By the way, I used to own a 360 Spider and now own an F430 Spider if that matters on valve cover gasket replacement.

And my understanding is "valve cover gasket" and "Cam cover gasket" is the same. Someone correct me please if I am wrong.

Dan

4. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Dang........Sorry to hear that.
    There has got to be a solution to this by now to make them last longer.

Dan

5. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    There is a separate cam cover and valve cover gasket. One on top, one on the end...at least in the 360. After looking at the diagram for the 430, it looks like you only have the valve cover gasket.

https://www.ricambiamerica.com/car-diagrams/ferrari/v6-v8/430-group/f430-05-08/r-h-cylinder-head.html

whatheheck likes this.
  6. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    RedNeck likes this.
  7. asgor

asgor Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    Just a suggestion that may or may not work in your case: try re-torquing the valve cover bolts and see it the oil leak lessens or stops altogether. I have been successful in about 60-70% of the cases when this issues has occurred across a wide variety of vehicles (including my current Ferrari 456).

In some cases the valve cover bolts had come loose and were less-than-finger-tight. Hence the seepage.

Mimmo Blue and whatheheck like this.
  8. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Excellent suggestion! I will check the WSM for recommended torque value and re-torque all the valve cover bolts.

Thank you!

Dan

9. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I just had this done by the dealer last week on my 08 430 with 20K miles.Both side leaking just a bit. Labor intensive... while in there, replace the spark plugs or clean them up and put in new gaskets.$$$$

whatheheck likes this.
  10. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    How much if you don't mind sharing?

11. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Thanks for sharing info Bob.

As Matt have asked, can you kindly share with us what the dealership usually charges for valve cover gasket replacement?

Dan

12. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    IF the FNA dealer did the work, there is a two year warranty (need receipt). I am pretty certain it is transferable to the new owner.

13. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Hi Dave,

I have the service record. It was done by Ferrari of Scottsdale back on Feb 9, 2015 at 21,XXX miles.

I guess warranty expired already and its too far to drive to Arizona :(

Dan

14. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    I believe it is a Ferrari warranty and not a dealer warranty - you should be able to take it to any Ferrari dealer, I think.

f355spider and whatheheck like this.
  15. CarAholic

CarAholic Formula Junior

May 10, 2016
    My driver side was leaking slightly last year. Took it to my Shop and had it replaced. After it was replaced they said it really didn’t need it. Was going to do it myself but didn’t have the time for it. I didn’t think it was all that expensive to get done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whatheheck likes this.
  16. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    It's was $1900 and they had the car for a little over a week. From what I remember, they said they have to remove a lot of stuff to get to the gaskets. Parts were only $200ish, the rest was labor. But they were doing the annual too. FoA was VERY thorough and did a good job.
    FoA moved into their new digs and I wanted to give them a try and see how they'd do.

whatheheck likes this.
  17. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    This is correct, the warranty is honored at any FNA dealership...even in Canada or Puerto Rico.

18. Mickster

Mickster Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2015
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Mikael Andersson
    I noticed this as well working on mine.

However; My major problem was leakage from worn cam gaskets on drivers side. Some of you might actually find this to be the case on your 360’s as well...

Oh, that’s right - I almost forgot: I was missing the ”green dot” on my variators and hence now is also replacing those...

19. CarAholic

CarAholic Formula Junior

May 10, 2016
    Wow that is a lot more then I paid. Guess it really depends on where you go. I also recommend everyone buys their parts themselves and take them to the dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whatheheck likes this.
  20. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    There are some problems with that advice. One, you no longer have the 24 month, unlimited mileage warranty of the FNA dealer, if the part fails. Also, some dealers may not allow owner supplied parts, and lastly, it does not build a very good relationship with the dealership if you are bringing your own parts. Do you bring your own composite material to your dentist, or your own suture to your surgeon? ;)

I like the ideal of bringing your own parts, and on occasion, my local dealer has acquiesced to my request to do so, but I try not to make a habit of it, and I accept the warranty exemption when I do.

21. Tony H

Tony H Karting

Sep 3, 2013
    To stop leaks you have to understand how these cam gaskets work. I own a Maserati Spyder and it's cam cover gasket is essentially identical to an F430, but if you're Ferrari owner that can't stomach advice from a Maserati owner then you can stop here and good luck to you.

The gasket isn't a gasket in the normal sense. It's a rubber seal that fits in a channel in the cam cover. The seal leaks because the rubber hardens from the heat and then it leaks. A beautiful design but not what you need. Tightening the cover bolts doesn't help because the seal is in a channel. So what you have to do is use high temperature (red) silicone and and put a sensible amount in the clean, oil-free channel. Then put the seal into the channel and for easier handling I let it set up a bit. My seal was from a Maserati supplier but I had to trim it to make it work. The seal I got had "ears" around the bolt holes and if I'd used it as it came it would have prevented the cover from evenly sitting on the head and leakage would soon start. Just sit and look at it for a few minutes and it will become obvious. So the last step is to apply a second layer of silicone on the seal in the cam cover and then install it on the head. I did mine a couple of years ago and no leaks.

22. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    That's a lot but not "terrible" if they also performed the annual. I had a full fluid/annual service done at an indy an it was still $1500..

23. F-Serge

F-Serge Formula 3

Aug 3, 2004
    UAE
    Full Name:
    Serge
    on a related note, my 2002 360 Spider is in for a major service, and one of the cam cover gaskets has been weeping (not even leaking) for some time now.
    I got a call from the dealer the other day with the quote for having it fixed while they're in it - $2700, allegedly the whole top assembly must come out for them to get access to the cam covers. I did a quick search on here, and it seems on later cars with access holes in the top assembly it is possible to do this job while leaving the top in place and removing the frame (bolts holding the frame to the firewall can be accessed through the access holes) to get access to the cam covers.
    Do you think the dealer is trying to take advantage of the situation and sell more work that is actually required, or does the claim about removing the top appear to be legitimate?

Muin1963 likes this.
  24. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Wow...even if that is the case, 2700 seems like a lot....

25. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Thanks for the great info and advice. I will certainly look into doing that.

Dan