Valve Cover Gasket replacement | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Valve Cover Gasket replacement

Discussion in '360/430' started by whatheheck, Jan 17, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CarAholic

CarAholic Formula Junior

May 10, 2016
    I do agree for the most part. I guess it really depends on what your replacing I wouldn’t be worried about a 24 month warranty on a gasket but something mechanical I can see. It just seems like a lot of people are getting gauged in parts prices which I don’t believe is a good relationship with a dealer. A good relationship goes both ways not just one side getting raked over the coals and having to take it. For example the parts prices listed above were $200 dealer supplied while in reality I bought all the parts my self for under $50. I have a good relationship with my shop and they don’t gauge me on parts prices. Only reason I had the parts this time was because I planned on doing it myself but got too busy and just had them do it. Now the majority of the people on this board a couple hundred or thousand doesn’t really matter to them. I just don’t like significantly over paying for things when I don’t have too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

recoil likes this.
  2. klointheridge

klointheridge Karting

Jun 5, 2017
    Westchester Cty, NY
    Full Name:
    Kevin Long
    Hey Dan, my mechanic just said I will have to replace my valve cover gaskets also...what did you end up doing?

3. JoeTSI

JoeTSI Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2015
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Joe K.
    When I purchased my 2004 360 Spider last year, I had the major done and during the course of this FoA called to let me know both the cam seals and valve cover seals were weeping. Cost to fix while they were in there: $3500 which to dealer I was buying the car from declined to cover and since they were only weeping I declined as well. The service manager did state that if they did it separately I would be looking at $4-4500 which I think is a bit extreme. Just an FYI for those seeking metrics data.

whatheheck likes this.
  4. vwpartsman

vwpartsman Karting

Aug 19, 2013
    Washington
    I just did mine on my 360 and they were paper and the only thing I had to remove to do it was the fuel rail, other then the coil packs and what not. I unbolted it and zip tied it to the cross member. Wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. I was doing the 30k service and was doing the belts and cam seals at the same time. That made the job a lot easier. Didn't like how you have the center bolt and have to cut that piece out to put it on.

78bonanza likes this.
  5. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    That is exactly how I would do it.

6. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Hi Kevin,

Sorry just now getting the chance to update this thread.

Similar to most 360 & F430, my valve covers were not really leaking. They are "weeping" meaning very slight oil leak.
    Over time the oil accumulates on that area and it looks bad.
    I found this weeping oil to also be the root cause of Variator Solenoid Control Valve failing as the oil gets in the connector thereby giving the ECU faulty reading.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/check-engine-light-p0024-on-f430.572951/

The cost to replace the valve cover gaskets is outrageous especially given the fact most likely it will leak again as mine were just replaced by the previous owner 3 years ago.

So, here's what I did. I cleaned my engine using the scrubbing bubbles method which I have a post on here. See link below.

Scrubbing bubbles not only cleaned the entire engine getting rid of all the valve cover gasket oil leak residue, it also cleaned the variator control solenoid valve connections. My P0024 fault code went away. I reset it 120 miles miles ago and it hasnt come back (knock on wood).

My next step is also to clean the variator solenoid control valve connectors with electrical contact cleaner and hopefully the fault code will stay away.

Back to the original question and my recommendation is to just let the valve cover weep oil. It is not worth $3,500.00 I was quoted.

I will clean my engine using scrubbing bubbles quarterly since its so easy to do to keep the engine clean and make the P0024 fault code stay away.
    Hope that helps.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/diy-best-and-easiest-way-to-clean-your-engine.574877/

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/check-engine-light-p0024-on-f430.572951/

Dan

f355spider likes this.
  7. klointheridge

klointheridge Karting

Jun 5, 2017
    Westchester Cty, NY
    Full Name:
    Kevin Long
    I’ll have to see what he quotes since he’ll be in there doing the headers anyway. I apparently did a bad job finding the maintenance history of my car and the ppi guy did a rather lousy job identifying a lot of the issues that should have been caught...so I’m wondering if I should take advantage of the car being opened up anyway. What a dilemma.

You don’t remove anything when you wash the engine, rt? Just spray, set and flush?

8. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Yep, I dont remove anything when cleaning the engine.

I just make sure the engine is cool.
    Spray Scrubbing Bubbles all over the engine.
    Let it soak and let it do its job for about 10 minutes, then hose it off with a stream of water using garden hose.

Wipe side panels dry to avoid water spots.
    Start the engine and let it warm up.
    Now take a look at your engine and see if its sparkling clean.

For added shine - spray with Griots Garage Engine Bay Dressing, then wipe it down with microfiber cloth.

Hope that helps.

Dan

Red 27 likes this.
  9. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    But isn´t the variator solenoid valve leaking internally? They are known to do that.

10. Ms360

Ms360 Rookie

Dec 16, 2013
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Just did my cover gaskets on the 360.They are not to bad but time consuming and parts are about $180 Australian dollars.The best way remove the inner guards and front engine cover which are behind the seats.

Ps check the breather hose on top of the valve covers the clap comes loose.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

78bonanza, CrazyMD and whatheheck like this.
  11. kommons

kommons Karting

Sep 30, 2013
    Silicon Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    A lot of the oil comes through the breather hoses from overfilling or expected venting. These short hoses harden and leak regardless of tightness. For the breather hoses, get new hose and oetiker clamps and it should hold the leaking for a while.

Cam end covers, warp rapidly, you can use sandpaper on calibrated flat surface to deck them a bit. I have chosen to re-buy these from time to time because they are only 33 dollars a piece.

Both Cam end and valve cover gaskets (which are paper, no rubber seal) need a little 1211 in key areas, especially on the cut-out (cam sprocket side). A thin dab, assemble lightly, let it dry a bit then tighten to prescribed torque.

In terms of cleaning, I'm not familiar with scrubbing bubbles and what it can or cannot react with. When cleaning engine parts, I have been using dawn power dissolver. It's a gel degreaser and it has been fairly safe to use while removing baked on oil fairly easily. Hope any of this helps.

78bonanza and whatheheck like this.
  12. Jim E

Jim E Rookie

Jan 13, 2019
    Full Name:
    Jim Eggleston
    My ferrari 458 is in the shop. They said the valve gaskets are leaking. $7,000. They also said I cannot purchase another year warranty without replacing them. I said ok replace them. Then a few days later they emailed me saying they were having trouble setting a bolt out and wanted to remove the engine. $20,000+ I said no. Two days later they were able to get the bolt out. It seems fishy to me. The service manager told me on two different occasions that he has been disappointed that the Ferrari’s don’t need more repairs. Any thoughts?

13. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Valve cover gaskets on an F430 are not difficult to replace. Just time consuming. And there is no way they cost $7K to remove and replace.

And if anyone wants to charge you $20K for something I think its time to get a second and third opinion.

Flea7 and f355spider like this.
  14. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Is this a dealer or an indy? Either way, run as far as you can. I think a lot of shops see a Ferrari and automatically assume "rich sucker".

15. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    I just checked service records of my 2006 F430 Spider. Valve cover gaskets were replaced 3 years ago by the previous owner, and its seeping again......

Parts (L & R cover gasket, Spark Plug rubber boot) were $204.00.
    Labor was 8 hours / around $1.480.00 so less than $2K for parts and labor. This is from a Ferrari dealer. Im sure its much less from an Indi.

There are some other threads here that I read that this appears to be a common problem and there is no permanent fix that I am aware of....

Dan

Flea7 and f355spider like this.
  16. Ferrari1221

Ferrari1221 Karting

Jan 14, 2017
    Yes, if they are loose, however be careful, since these are rubber gaskets my experience, with other vehicles I work on that have rubber gaskets, if you over-tighten them the gaskets can begin to pop out as they flatten (you can see this when the gasket is not flush with cylinder head, which can cause them to leak even more, that is my two cents.

17. Ferrari1221

Ferrari1221 Karting

Jan 14, 2017
    I also wanted to add that torquing sequence is extremely important in order that all the bolts have an even pressure on the gasket, areas where is less pressure on the gasket will potentially be areas that will leak in the future. Rubber shrinks over time, so I imagine some tightening may be possible, but unless they are extremly loose be careful. FYI, the general rule if you do not have a tightening sequence available is to first tighten in a cross pattern from the inside out. For example, if you make the mistake of tightening the ends first, there may be a bow in the middle of the valve cover, but if you tighten from the inside out in a cross patter the valve cover will settle down and squeeze out towards the ends. I recommend you follow manufacture tightening sequence. Also, often when I am tightening such things I will do it in a few passes so the gasket slowly seats itself evenly.

whatheheck likes this.
  18. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Here's my experience with valve cover gaskets for sharing:

As mentioned above, we need to follow the torque requirements precisely as if the bolts were torqued lightly the oil will seep as the rubber and cover wont provide a good seal.

At the same time if its torqued too tight the rubber gasket will pop out and oil will also seep.

I also learned that the valve cover gasket bolts needs to be checked on a regular basis, perhaps annually every oil service to ensure its proper torque requirements is still in place as the bolts can loosen and lift up due to engine vibration. This is what my mechanic found after checking why the oil was seeping under the valve covers (bolt was loose)

AandSC and Flea7 like this.
  19. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

one of the lessons I learned is that this job requires utter carefulness. it damages paints on the side of the car easily , even if you have covers on the sides.
    Jim Nastic body positions are a norm in this job.

whatheheck likes this.
  20. Neil22

Neil22 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2018
    Oxford CT
    Full Name:
    Neil Silberkleit
    I just did my 360 cover on the drivers side with some great advice from this forum!
    I have a spider and found it easier to remove the inner fender well - a bit more work but made lots of room to work.
    Spiders have the top well that covers the front section of the motor reducing access and room to work from the top.
    Another suggestion for a 360 was to remove the front bearing cover this give easier access to the small piece of gasket required between the cams
    Don't forget to get the spark plug 'O' Rings I used some grease to hold them in place
    ThreeBond 1211 was recommend to help seal the gaskets
    Use lots of blankets to cover the painted surfaces.
    Take your time it not hard just time consuming !

AandSC and whatheheck like this.
  21. NMNMNMN

NMNMNMN Formula Junior
    BANNED

Quote is $3431 to change at local dealer plus 10 percent sales tax.

22. Neil22

Neil22 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2018
    Oxford CT
    Full Name:
    Neil Silberkleit
    Ferrari book time is 30 minutes to change each gasket - @ 150.00 / hour that is less than $500.00 even if you include the gasket at $100

23. Scottslaw

Scottslaw Formula Junior

That can't be right. I would have paid double that to do it. The job (at least for me) was very time consuming. For the record, I used the threebond 1211 adhesive in addition to the gasket and after about 1,000 miles they are still bone dry (fingers crossed). Using the sealant in the channel of the cover, before you insert the gasket into that channel, also helps keep it in place as you go to install (without sealant that gasket will want to fall out/slip out given all the jostling and repositioning that is required to get everything into place).

24. Neil22

Neil22 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2018
    Oxford CT
    Full Name:
    Neil Silberkleit
  25. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Ferrari assumes the engine is on a stand when you do a cam cover gasket change. There is no way in hell anybody can change the 360 Cam cover gasket in 30 minutes with the engine in the car. Spider is MUCH more difficult.

2NA and armedferret like this.