Vantage V12 vs F430 | FerrariChat

Vantage V12 vs F430

Discussion in 'British' started by Cayenne06, Jul 13, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Cayenne06

Cayenne06 Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2008
    God's Country, NC
    Full Name:
    David J
    I am considering replacing my F430 with the new V12 Vantage since it will be available in the US. Is there anyone on this forum from Europe that has made this switch or owns both of these cars and could give me a comparison?

2. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    When are deliveries starting?

3. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    my partner has a v8 vantage and to me its a 2 seat jag xk. cant imagine another 100 hp (dont forget about the unwanted extra weight over front axle) will make much difference. 430 is in another league. dont do it

4. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Maybe he wants the traditional style and the conventional gearbox.

5. kosmo

kosmo Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    BIg D
    i really like Aston, but that v12 doesnt doesnt do it for me.

6. AlexO91

AlexO91 F1 Rookie

Sep 26, 2008
    NW England
    Full Name:
    Alex
  7. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    british reviewers always seem to pick the british cars during comparisons. i would be very sure before you trade the 430 in

8. Cayenne06

Cayenne06 Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2008
    God's Country, NC
    Full Name:
    David J
    I had a V8 Vantage before I got the 430 so I am familiar with the breed. I went to the 430 because I wanted more power. Now I have more than enough power, but I miss some of the GT aspects of the Vantage. I'm really intriuged by the torque of that Aston V-12. Not interested in tracking the car, and am getting tired of the constant attention the 430 brings.

9. Cayenne06

Cayenne06 Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2008
    God's Country, NC
    Full Name:
    David J
    I do miss the 6 speed manual in the Aston.

10. Cayenne06

Cayenne06 Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2008
    God's Country, NC
    Full Name:
    David J
    I have heard this winter, late 2010, early 2011.

11. AlexO91

AlexO91 F1 Rookie

Sep 26, 2008
    NW England
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Depends who it is, Clarkson worships Ferrari's.

12. pamparius

pamparius Formula Junior

May 16, 2007
    germany
    #12 pamparius, Jul 15, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  13. AlexO91

AlexO91 F1 Rookie

Sep 26, 2008
    NW England
    Full Name:
    Alex
    So your saying he's not allowed to like any other cars except Ferrari's? Of course he's going to like other cars, but he's always loved Ferrari's he even said in the road test of the SC I think it was that he thinks of a Ferrari as a scaled down version of God.

Plus what isn't there to live about the V12 Vantage for the British point of view?

14. ThePusher

ThePusher Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2004
    I own a 430 Scud and just spent the day at Willow Springs with the V12 Vantage (and V8, N420, DB9, and Rapide).

Very different cars. The Scud and Vantage have basically the same horsepower but it is delivered in a very different fashion. The Scud loves to scream to redline but the Vantage is still more GT and has tons of torque. Driving around the track was a 3rd gear affair. No need for second as there was enough torque in 3rd to break traction. High gears only for the straights.

The Scud is much lighter and nimbler... much faster in a many respects. But I walked away very impressed with the V12 Vantage. I was an owner of a V8 Vantage and the extra power really makes the car. The chassis can easily handle it. Sounds great BTW.

In the end the V12 is still a GT and not a sports car. But an amazing GT it is! Probably the best I have driven... I am tempted but will likely wait for the depreciation curve to take affect and buy a used on in 2 years or so. We'll see if they are dealing...

I know this is not a direct comparison with a normal 430 but hopefully this helps.

15. ThePusher

ThePusher Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2004
    BTW

First orders for V12 are sent in and cars will come in Oct.

Demo cars for dealers are probably Sept.

If you order in the next 30 days you will likely get it before end of year.

16. Cayenne06

Cayenne06 Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2008
    God's Country, NC
    Full Name:
    David J

Thanks, this does help. My dealer has a spot available now and delivery would be before year end. I love my 430 but I do miss the GT qualities of the Vantage and a 599 is too much $$$. Since I will not borrow money to purchase a car the V12 Vantage is more in my budget. Do you feel the V12 Vantage is the best in the Aston line up?

17. ThePusher

ThePusher Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2004
    If you want to be on the sportier end of the GT category... it is the best Aston Martin in the line up by far. I have driven V8 Vantage, N400, N420, V12 Vantage, DB9, DBS, DBS Volante... The V12 is the most sorted driver's car in the line up.

The handling was very impressive. Turn in was much sharper and accurate than anything else at the track that day. And the V12 really came into its own. The DBS is the only other car close but it feels big and does not change directions as quickly. The back seats are near useless anyway so the V12 Vantage is the best package.

I think the V12 Vantage is one of the best GT cars ever made to be honest.

My only gripes:
    1. Terrible shifting lever - looks ridiculous and does not feel right in the hand
    2. Depreciation
    3. ehhhh... ok that is it... can't think of another one

If you want a sporty GT and don't need a ton of luggage space or psuedo-back seats... you will not be disappointed.

18. pamparius

pamparius Formula Junior

May 16, 2007
    germany
    i just wanted to say, that he loves the v12, too, nothing more.

the question was " v12 vantage or f430?" you said "clarkson loves ferrari" i said "clarkson loves the v12, too" nothing more. ;)

19. f328nvl

f328nvl Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2004
    Herts
    Full Name:
    John
    Oh dear, IMHO couldn't be more wrong. The V8 is indeed a gutless thing and even with its new 4.7ltr engine is no comparison with a 430.

The V12 is a different animal entirely. It's not only much more powerful but it is also much, much harder and faster. Think 360 V 360 Scuderia and you are on the right lines.

The 430 has much cleverer electronics making it easier to drive faster than a V12, but I'm not sure that's always a good thing, some of the fun is wrestling with the power. tHE Suspension is much firmer (in Euro spec, they tend to soften it for the US, no idea if that's what's planned).

The noise, is to use a "Clarksonism", Epic. F430 eventualy got on my nerves with it's tricky valve exhaust boom (my girlfriend said "I never realised that something could be literally toe-curlingly embarrassing") V12V is not quite as good at making noises as a Vanquish but, just listen to it and smile.

http://il.youtube.com/watch?v=W33V5Xfuzis

(This is the actual car I drove)

For my money, the F430 is a better piece of engineering, but the V12V has the edge for making life a better place to be. What alovely problem to have

20. Cayenne06

Cayenne06 Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2008
    God's Country, NC
    Full Name:
    David J

21. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    10 years from now, the F430 really won’t be remembered- it will continue to be replaced by something faster and better looking, whereas something like the V12 Vantage only comes along once in a blue moon.

22. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    I reread the Road & Track first drive, and I think I too am taken with the Vantage.

23. drgek

drgek Formula 3

Jun 21, 2004
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I currently own an '09 V8 Vantage Roadster with the sport package and 4.7 engine. I've put 8400 miles on it in 10 months, which included a Chicago winter. For purposes of comparison, I put 13K miles on my '06 F430 Spider and 5K miles on my '08 599.

To call the engine gutless is, IMHO, misguided. Of course it doesn't have the power of a 599, which was scary fast. But in real world driving conditions, the power is MORE than sufficient and its handling is crisper with much less body roll in corners. The 599 is a large car and, at least in pre-HGTE guise, you felt it.

The 430 was a hoot to drive; it's probably the car I should have kept. But the Aston is far more usable day-to-day and at my age I don't need the boy racer appeal of the Ferrari.

This is the best review of the car I have seen:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2009-aston-martin-vantage-roadster-review/

24. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    How much will the V12 be?

25. Cayenne06

Cayenne06 Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2008