VECTOR cars! | Page 30 | FerrariChat

VECTOR cars!

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by philt68, Aug 31, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.

Now there's a manufacturer I haven't seen mentioned in a VERY long while. They had a couple really nifty designs.

2. AxerJk

AxerJk Formula 3

Jan 28, 2009
    Livonia, MI
    Full Name:
    Chris Ashworth
  3. CK7684

CK7684 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2011
    MN
    Full Name:
    Jason
  4. vectorfiles

vectorfiles Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2004
  5. Supercar Ace

Supercar Ace Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    Sunny So Cal - LA
    I would not lump Koenigsegg or Pagani in the list with Spyker...Both of them only make cars to order while Spyker has failed to find a foothold. McLaren was set on producing 300 F1's yet only made 65 road cars and, 5 LM's and 40 race cars bringing the total up to 105 cars...195 cars or 2/3rd short of their goal. Most makers did not hit their production targets in the 1990's...Jaguar missed with the XJ220 and even Ferrari never made 349 F50s...the real number is roughly 230 of them.

I'd say McLaren was unsuccessful from a pure numbers point, but they made up for it with racing wins and great PR. Pagani and Koenigsegg I would say are very successful, specifically Pagani, seeing as to how their boutique made-to-order model has worked well for them and even today, you can still get a new Zonda built event though it's been "officially" retired for a few years.

Spyker on the other hand had a great concept but couldn't make the climb, so I would place them in the less-than-successful bucket. Its still very impressive that these makers made cars and got them on the world stage at one point, considering just how difficult it is to do so.

6. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    #731 zudnic, Feb 27, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
    Granted I have not seen one in person. The Vector doesn't look like a very well built car, even looks junky. If they built a better car it would have survived, despite the 90's recession.

Pictures make it look cheap especially inside. Kind of like another American super car the Saleen S7 (I have seen this one in person) its like a kit car in build quality.

7. CK7684

CK7684 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2011
    MN
    Full Name:
    Jason
    M12

8. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    The U.S. has never built a quality supercar. They might be fast, but all have lacked quality. From the cheap gauges to seat leather. America will never build a supercar, better then any European manufacture.

9. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Ford GT kicks ass

10. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    #735 Str8shooter, Mar 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    You might have got away saying that a few days ago but now America has this :D

BTW I have seen a Vector and posted a few pics of it in this thread and not knowing what it is at first might bring thoughts of a kit car
    but it still is pretty good for that time. The interior is plain like it is in the Countach that preceded it.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    Copy that, zudnic. Though maybe one day they'll develop a proper formula for sticky switches? Never give up hope!

12. AxerJk

AxerJk Formula 3

Jan 28, 2009
    Livonia, MI
    Full Name:
    Chris Ashworth
    X2. The Vector W8 was a very well made car. The Vector M12 was the one that was kit car-ish.

Chris

13. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    The world disagrees w you

Compare values of Ford GT to its contemporaries, it's destroys the 360, AM etc

14. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    Talking more supercars. The American efforts are fancy kit cars. The Ford GT is a regular sports car, like the Corvette or 360. Not a supercar.

15. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Except the GT40 won LeMans Overall THREE times

Corvette & 360 never did that

GT is every inch a Supercar, I know, I own 2 + several Italian Supercars

There is NOTHING regular about a GT. People react to a GT like any other Supercar, nothing like a Vette

16. CK7684

CK7684 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2011
    MN
    Full Name:
    Jason
    The Vector W8s were praised for build quality, considered over built even. Everything was built to last & very robust. Although interior ergonomics are questionable, all buttons & switches are within reach of the driver. The displays & switchgear could hardly be considered "cheap", as they come directly from jet fighter aircraft. Seats are Recaro & fully powered. The location of the main display may not be the greatest, but I believe this is because a HUD system was intended but never implemented.
    I'm not sure any aspect of the W8 could be considered "cheap".
    The M12 on the other hand was essentially a kit car of the AWX3 prototype, using a Lamborghini V12. As far as cars such as the Saleen S7 looking like a kit car, well, imho I think this is because they are built more like a racecar, with a light body & sparse interior. I've always thought the F40 looked rather kit-ish myself, not that that makes it any less impressive.

17. AxerJk

AxerJk Formula 3

Jan 28, 2009
    Livonia, MI
    Full Name:
    Chris Ashworth
    Well said, Jason. I have always thought the same about the F40. In my opinion, the F40 is far more kit-carish than most cars that get labeled as such, but it is forgiven because it is such a legend. I agree as well about the Saleen S7, that it was not made to be a fast luxury grand tourer, but, as you said, a race car for the streets.

Chris

18. Anthony bentley

Anthony bentley Formula Junior

May 20, 2006
    London
    Full Name:
    Anthony Bentley
    Or does the F40 look kit carish because so many kit cars were built to emulate it?

19. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    I cannot agree at all that the 40 feels or looks like a kit car. The S7 is a tube frame race car with some plush interior appointments, and a few odd stickers. The Vector was closer to EB110/ XJ220 in terms of the materials use than the F40, which was little more than what somebody would need.

The biggest thing about a kit car to me is how the panels feel... that is, they are flimsy. The F40's body isn't flimsy in the least; even if the alignment when closing the hood and decklid requires some finesse.

20. CK7684

CK7684 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2011
    MN
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I don't mean to imply that the F40 is cheap or flimsy looking, but rather that it has a very lightweight sparse look to it, as it should, being a racecar for the street. Just my opinion that its looks alone, to my eye, seems kit-ish.

21. LNtoast

LNtoast Karting

Jul 11, 2013
    Cat's Exotics ha an M12 for sale

1997 - Yellow / Black - 14909 miles - $159888

22. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Huh? It rivaled the Carrera GT and Enzo in terms of performance.

Hardly the equivalent of a 360 or a 'Vette, sorry.

23. vectorfiles

Mar 15, 2004
    Price went up by 20k$ within 24 hours:
    Cats Exotics | Vehicles for Sale

That would be the highest sale since these were built and sold for 189k$

24. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    Anybody who thinks that a Ford GT is even close to "kit" is simply an armchair enthusiast.

25. vectorfiles

Mar 15, 2004
    May I suggest that we open a separate OT thread for the non Vector related discussion?