Vegas Golden Knights make NHL history | FerrariChat

Vegas Golden Knights make NHL history

Discussion in 'Las Vegas' started by TheMayor, Feb 1, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
  2. alum04org

alum04org F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2009
    Plymouth, MI
    Credit Coach Gerard "Spuddy" Gallant - a winger playing alongside Red Wings center Steve Yzerman!
    I guess G M George McPhee may have had something to do with this, as well. . . ..

3. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
  4. joker57676

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    For the first time in a very long time, I yelled during a sporting event. That overtime, and their goal, was great.

NeuroBeaker likes this.
  5. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    This is fantastic. I'm actually happy for Vegas for getting a team and then seeing them exceed all expectations. I was out there a few weeks ago and one of my friends went to the GK/Oilers game and said the atmosphere was amazing. There were a lot of cannucks around but I was surprised by how many people I saw in GK jerseys and hats. Of course if it comes down to a GK/Caps final I'll take it all back :D

6. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    This has exceeded all expectations - Vegas really needed something like this to rally around, especially since their season started the week after the massacre. And its a good lead in before an NFL team, VGK might have gotten lost in the noise if the Raiders came first. Ultimately, I'm quite impressed with the producers and directors who keep the live game experience moving at such a fast pace - I've never seen so many live interludes, video clips, online interactions (memes, tweets and IG posts on the big screen) - along with the pounding music. I suppose that's what happens when you have production talent from the best live variety and circus shows in town to do work for the game.

Of course, my friends with season tickets are not too thrilled with the 40% price bump for next year, but that's the free market at work.

7. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    ^they are using that money to sign the players to long term contracts. It's the one weakness of the franchise which, as you would expect, didn't make any long term deals when it started.

8. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Slightly off topic funny...

As most know my GF and I moved out to Vegas couple weeks ago. Been seeing the Knights helmet logo on cars and clothing. My GF turns to me and says...'does everyone in this town really like Magneto?'

tomc and TheMayor like this.
  9. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I was out at a mall the other day and was proud to see a huge % of all men and boys wearing something Knights. I have a few hats I cycle through now. My boys have various clothing and hats too. I recognized that there was a sense of camaraderie that can be a benefit of the pro sports team (even if there are dubious net financial gains to the community, it's often a net wealth transfer from public coffers to few private individuals - especially stadium finance).

10. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I was at the game the other day (probably their worst game of their year in their loss to the Kings) but what amazes me is the number of KIDS and WOMEN at the games.

It was their second highest game attendance of the year -- on a Tuesday night -- over 18K including standing room only. Some Kings fans also but mainly VGK.

11. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I went to the first Blackhawks game early in the season, and the audience was probably 2/3 red jerseys. Then a few weeks ago for the Columbus game, it was pretty much all grey.

As far as fan composition what surprised me is how diverse it is. I'm from Canada and despite the "diversity" there, if you go to a game other than Toronto or Vancouver, the crowd going to be as nearly as white as the players. But I was pleasantly to see a lot of Hispanic, Asian/Filipino and Afro/Am fans at the VGK games. Very representative of the county demographics, despite the fact that given ticket prices we're seeing perhaps more middle class and up.

12. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I agree with that also.

13. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    saw them in LA last Monday as they almost beat the kings. Heck of a team! Looks like Vegas is getting the Raiders as well.

14. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I saw them lose 2 times this week at home.... the season ain't over yet!

The fans though are really wonderful. The game they played at home against the kings was probably their worst game of the year. But the fans did not boo and cheered them until the very end. Some left with 5 minutes to go but most stayed until the final second.

15. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I got tickets to see them against Calgary, should be a fun time.

16. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    The owner is a 1967 West point grad. The Army team was always called the Black Knights of the Hudson and the owner's sports firm is called Black Knight Investments, or something like that. He wanted to call the team the black knights, but I guess he couldn't, so he changed it to the golden knights. The West Point colors are black, grey, and gold, and they represent the ingredients of gunpowder, sulfur, charcoal, and saltpeter.

17. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
  18. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Interesting story about the VGK from Buffalo. But it is their style to just take one game at a time ---even one period at a time. And the fans at T Mobile are just amazing and have been since the start.

http://buffalonews.com/2018/03/10/mike-harrington-two-points-after-two-points-golden-knights-keep-grinding-out-wins/

"Early on in the year, everyone was talking about the 'Vegas Flu' and how this team couldn't win on the road," said forward David Perron, whose overtime goal beat the Sabres at T-Mobile Arena in October. "But we're happy we're finding a way to win a lot of games on the road now and turn that around."

Ah, the Vegas Flu. It's what's allegedly been afflicting teams in Sin City all year. The Golden Knights are 24-7-2 at home and the thinking goes that lots of teams are likely taking advantage of the Strip's vast temptations

The day before the All-Star Game in Tampa, Washington star Alex Ovechkin had the media rolling when he was asked why the Golden Knights are such a thing.

"I think it’s the atmosphere over there. It’s not a regular rink," Ovechkin said of rollicking good time in T-Mobile. "It’s kind of like an unbelievable show. You get excited. It’s like you're in a nightclub. It’s like a party. Everybody dancing over there. It’s like, ‘Holy jeez, are we in a hockey game or is this like a pool party out there?’"

19. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    VGK beat Flyers in South Philly last night. They just keep rolling along

20. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

Fleury now with 400 wins. I bet most people thought with the move to Vegas he might never have gotten it.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. joker57676

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    I'm very happy for Flower. Who would have thought the success he would have here? It's always great to see one of the (supposedly) nicest guys around go so well.

22. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
  23. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Even though we don't have tickets to the game tonight we heard it is fun just to be down there so the wife and I are going to head over and see what it's like down there at the park etc.during playoff time!

24. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
  25. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    We had a great time Friday night watching the game at the Park. We ate dinner down there, bought some VGK gear but I got too tired to make it to the end of the game. Heck it was still going on when I got home. Watched part of the first overtime and all of the second while back in my bed. What a game!

All of these playoff games have been really fun to watch.