Vent removal on my 360.... | FerrariChat

Vent removal on my 360....

Discussion in '360/430' started by brokenarrow, Dec 20, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. brokenarrow

brokenarrow F1 Rookie

Sep 25, 2006
    Txass
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I am looking to remove the tar crap from a couple of vents. My manual disc has gone on the fritz so I don't have any way of looking up how to take them out. Can someone point me in the right direction.

Cheers~

Bill

2. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    They are held in with a few clips around the outer edge. Sometimes you can open the vent and use a couple small flat screwdrivers to pry on the tabs. Be careful, they will break with too much pressure. Be careful cleaning them. Some stuff will eat the plastic all to hell... I have refinished about 5 sets of 360 ones and 10 sets of 550 ones.... The little white printed arrows will be erased once you strip the coating off also. I had a bunch of those little stickers made up to replace after I refinish a set...

3. brokenarrow

brokenarrow F1 Rookie

Sep 25, 2006
    Txass
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Okay, I'm on it.

Are the clips at 12, 3, 6 and 9 O'clock?

4. brokenarrow

brokenarrow F1 Rookie

Sep 25, 2006
    Txass
    Full Name:
    Bill
    #4 brokenarrow, Dec 21, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Okay, I figured it all out. To remove the vents you must insert a very small, thin screw driver (you'll need at least two) under the vent ring at 11:30, 1:30, 3:30 and 8:30 position. You can see the tabs if you have a flashlight and look closely inside the vent. They actually come off pretty easy and are tougher than they look, but don't blame me if you muscle them into submission and break it. You shouldn't even attempt this task unless you are retarded to begin with, so proceed at YOUR own risk. I planned to buy new ones if they busted anyway so I really didn't care one way or the other, and I suggest you have the same thought process or stick with the sticky.

After removing them, I tried Goof-off, and several other chemicals to no reasonable avail. The only thing that worked, rubbing alcohol, and it worked like damn magic. I sanded down mine as they were really scuffed up and even chipped--I have no idea why. I started with 200, 600 then 1200, then I went to a rotary buffer (the tiny one you see in the pics running on air and some Griot's to get rid of the hairlines). They turned out really nice. I prefer them shiny anyways.

Putting them back in is the real beach. You have to align the vent door (it obstructs the flow of air; either letting it pass or shutting it down completely) with the teeth of the wheel that controls the door (located on the bottom of the vent hole). You must align the teeth with the vent ring and the wheel at the appropriate interval of the door wheel or it will not work (then you remove it and do it again). I strongly suggest marking the vent ring and the dash with some tape so you remember exactly where you took it off. In fact, I'd open it all the way then remove the vent ring so you know where it needs to be. This is a pain in the butt, no question.

Once you remove these, you can do it in your sleep. Pics attached...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    You finally have now had the chance to vent!

Nice job.

Did you drink the remaining alcohol?

6. brokenarrow

brokenarrow F1 Rookie

Sep 25, 2006
    Txass
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I sure needed it.

7. mr_bock

mr_bock Formula 3

Oct 27, 2006
    FL full time
    Nice results... Good job!!!!!!!!!

8. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Another helpful and informative post!!!!! Thanks!

Robert

9. brokenarrow

brokenarrow F1 Rookie

Sep 25, 2006
    Txass
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Thanks guys.

10. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    #10 285ferrari, Dec 21, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The whole vent would of came out fairly easy. Then it is a piece of cake to pop the outer ring off the vent itself. Did you replace the white arrow print? Here are a few I did for a customer on his 550, essentially the same vent, but the 550 ones have an inner silver trim ring..

11. brokenarrow

brokenarrow F1 Rookie

Sep 25, 2006
    Txass
    Full Name:
    Bill
    #11 brokenarrow, Dec 21, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2008
    Yes, I saw where it can be separated, but didn't need to to get the job done. I prefer leaving it as one piece as it's easier to handle. I was hoping to remove the entire vent mechanism, but it wasn't necessary--again, a want. If I dig into something, I want it all out.

Once they are out, you can paint them any color you like. I just can't see paint holding up to any finger nail slip so chose not to paint. Being polished plastic, it can't be easily scratched or anything melt in the Texas heat. I was hoping to replicate the aluminum ones some time ago, but lost patience with incompetent manufacturers. Strangely, a friend tells me he can make them in Vietnam. Whatever.

I do recommend doing it, but you need some patience, as with anything on these cars.

I am looking to acquire some decals for the arrows and may consider other colors besides white.

12. brokenarrow

brokenarrow F1 Rookie

Sep 25, 2006
    Txass
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I'll take a better pic of mine as they turned out really nice. The pic I posted is kinda' bunk.

13. ferrariKP

ferrariKP F1 Rookie

Jul 29, 2004
    BKK/ LOS
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    +1

Amazing job done!

14. jdlegg

jdlegg Karting

Dec 22, 2009
    Bryan
    Full Name:
    James D
    Thanx for the tip at vent cover removal. My 360 is now fully "de-stickied"!

Now, a larger question: Why does Ferrari keep putting that crappy coating on everything in the interior?

James

15. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Best method to remove the small 1.5" x 3.5" vents on the left side of the 360 dash (not the defrost vents.