very early diablo are some of the quickest: Myth or Truth? | Page 8 | FerrariChat

very early diablo are some of the quickest: Myth or Truth?

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by EMILIO, Jul 5, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    #176 Ellagirl, Feb 11, 2022
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2022
    Spyder-Man likes this.
  2. EMILIO

EMILIO F1 Veteran

Feb 23, 2006
    Italia
    early euro Diablos should be quicker than euro 6.0
    i drove a 6.0 and, while being the best handling and best finish, it did not feel faster than older ones

3. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #178 joe sackey, Feb 15, 2022
    Correct, the 6-liter 2001 is signficantly quicker than the early 1991 Diablo, all the road tests clearly demonstrate this both in 0-60 times and top speed, this makes absolute sense as the later variant has a significantly more powerful engine. Basically the earlier car does 0-60 in about 4.5 seconds, whereas the later car is almost a full second faster, this may not sound like a lot but in the road it translates to multiple car lengths over a quarter mile.

Sometimes a car doesn't 'feel' faster because it's delivery of speed is less dramatic and more efficient, but the 6.0 is definitely faster.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Ellagirl likes this.
  4. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #179 joe sackey, Feb 15, 2022
    I've driven both, 2 separate 1991 Diablos, and owned 3 F40s, so I have plenty of experience here and I can say without any bias that the F40 is significantly faster than an early Diablo.

Perhaps the most respected performance tester of sports cars is Car & Driver magazine, and they performed a thorough comparison of the 1991 Diablo and a 1991 F40 in their April 1992 issue in a piece called 'Judgement Day'.

Diablo
    Zero to 60 mph: 4.4 sec
    Zero to 100 mph: 9.4 sec
    Zero to 130 mph: 15.4 sec

F40
    Zero to 60 mph: 4.2 sec
    Zero to 100 mph: 8.3 sec
    Zero to 130 mph: 13.5 sec

On the road the Zero to 130 mph tells the real-world story and the 2 seconds difference @ 130 mph is almost a football field ahead. However, the most telling test was around Moroso Raceway track because life is not all in a straight line and the track is a true measure of overall handling, braking, shifting, power-delivery etc and the F40 averaged 1:29.4 whereas the Diablo trailed in a full 5 seconds slower per lap at 1:34.8

5. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    Financial points considered, in the super car world, we should probably all buy the Absolute best 6,0 Diablo possible. It is(imho) the last of the bad boys. 80/90s wiff but comfy and quality feeling.

6. dinonz308

dinonz308 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 26, 2017
    Full Name:
    Dean
    #181 dinonz308, Feb 15, 2022
    Sorry - it's already mine. 6.0 VT in Rosso Vik. All others pale in comparison! < flameSuit />

EarlyCat, EMILIO, Ellagirl and 2 others like this.
  7. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
  8. Lemacc

Lemacc Formula 3
    BANNED

Mar 16, 2008
    Germany
    You compare US spec cars...Since these cars were made in Europe, we should compare the original intended cars...Also the 6.0 is not faster than a 5.7. I drove side by side with a 97,5 VT Roadster against a 6.0SE on the german Autobahn and there was no difference.
    Exact the same performance, and the Roadster is heavier. The main difference was the fuel consumption, which was suprisingly very different. The 5.7 needed much more fuel than the 6.0.

F40-Diablo 2wd.
    acceleration the F40 is slightly quicker, but after 250km/h and on top speed, the Diablo is faster.

EMILIO likes this.
  9. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    my 91 Diablo was shaved off everything not needed, no mufflers or cats,straight pipes after headers, uppgraded ign coils(MSD) not any different from a Euro car,afaik, dont get me wrong,it was quick and loud, but 6,0,felt faster/quicker in different way, it also had the big muffler box removed(still sits at the plant) and my own tail pipes innstalled,we supplied custom exhaust for Diablo and first gen Murcielago to Ultimate motorworks in Orlando(now Lamborghini Orlando) probably 20 or so cars, but ended when Lamborhini factory Pulled the warranty on the Murcielago,once you tampered with the factory Exhaust. all this beeing said,i enjoy my Countach much more than the 91 Diablo,why i still own it after 16 years,just a completely different personality and charm, the 2001 6,0, i really miss,it was an fantastic car,i will say this to everyone out there,the ride,fit finish,the way the body was cleaned up, just the perfect super car,if you own one,do not sell it, i sold mine for the simple reason i needed a back seat, Ella was born nov 03,and the Diablo was sold and i bought the first gen Bentley Continental GT, wich was nothing but a pile of crap,always recalls and stupid stuff wrong,no wonder you can get one today for 25$k, as they say,dont walk away,RUN away, its a nightmare,also heavy felt like driving an suv with a lowering kit,anyway, we live and learn,hopefully, i am sure the current Continental is a much better car.

10. EMILIO

EMILIO F1 Veteran

Feb 23, 2006
    Italia
    test of european early Diablos had very different results, like 0.5 to over a full second in the 400m from still (yes, this is a lot of difference in cars that should be the same)

Ok: testers, weather, road etc all can vary from a test to an other but still some say the first 50 (european) cars or so were more powerfull than the rest
    then the cars were made a bit "weaker"
    this was confirmed by different people that owned-driven some diablos
    a very well known norvegian collector confirmed to me his very early diablo (1990 car) is faster than his 6.0 (both euro cars)

on a side note:
    - european 2wd diablos have different timing compared to USA ones, and 2 less cats
    euro cars and USA cars are different

- 6.0 has the awd advantage over a 91 on start from still, if you drop the clutch like testers did, (without fear to fry the clutch or destroy some shafts) you can shave a good half second at start
    after that, the awd and added weight of the 6.0 rob performance

i own a 93 2wd and a 04 murcielago and drove few times a nice 6.0
    murcie feels quicker than the diablos
    6.0s does not really feels quicker than the 93

i would be curious to drive one of those "50" early Diablos

11. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    A comparison of USA F40 vs USA Diablo is perfectly legitimate and conclusive, as would be the case with a Eu F40 vs Eu Diablo, same thing.

Faster over 250 kph based on what? Regardless, the real world for most drives so 0 - 130 mph is more important. As the title of this thread suggests, there are lot of myths being propagated based on seat-of-the-pants testing.

Some good points but AFAICS the claims the early Diablo is faster than the 6.0 are mostly based on lots of inconclusive and non-scientific theories, if someone claimed the early Countach LP400 was faster than the QV Downdraft despite all the years of development and a more powerful engine, I wouldn't buy that either.

12. LC3929

LC3929 Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2007
    Early Diablo vs late Diablo, Diablo vs. F40, QV vs LP400...
    All that sounds like a discussion on a schoolyard...

EMILIO likes this.
  13. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    It lasted 4 years and all of 8 pages so it was worth some factual input ;)

14. EMILIO

EMILIO F1 Veteran

Feb 23, 2006
    Italia
    best color for the model and super rare
    VERY nice car!

dinonz308 likes this.
  15. Lemacc

Lemacc Formula 3
    BANNED

Mar 16, 2008
    Germany
    Based on what i have experienced in person! Anyway this topic does not matter for you, because the german Autobahn is too far away for you! :p

Tu160bomber likes this.
  16. EMILIO

EMILIO F1 Veteran

Feb 23, 2006
    Italia
    on a side note:
    while being fast cars and pretty light, early diablos were not really well built ...some reliability issues and problems

not to mention the faults of the model: brakes were weak, the lack of power steering made the cars hard to drive quick and parck etc..

they got better with time and every single version improved the cars till the 6.0 cars were pretty much a perfect working machine (not faster or more exciting to drive)

personally i am happy to own a 93 Vs a very early car, the VT engine is pretty much bullet proof and i am not a fan of VT awd system

17. raymondQV

raymondQV F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2007
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Raymond S.
    I drove 2wd, VT 93 and VT6.0 SE, also Murci LP640, was passenger with Vale in some hot rides (VT and Murci 1st series).
    The VT6.0 was the best of the Diablos, it accelerates that easy and smooth that you think its slow but it's damn fast.

joe sackey and Ellagirl like this.
  18. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #193 joe sackey, Feb 17, 2022
    Only a few hours away actually!

I'm glad you mention this on balance, just read all the things that went wrong with the Diablo on the C&D test (scroll down to read 'Diablo's fix-it diary') https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparison-test/a15141339/judgment-day-ferrari-f40-meets-lamborghini-diablo-archived-comparison-test/

I didn't have time to engage yesterday as we were very busy closing out an auction https://www.sackeyandco.com/results

Discussions comparing sports cars are the very essence of the passion that drives many to aspire to these dream cars as captured by magazines, books and films, so the notion that ongoing discussion about them is somehow juvenile is redundant. Comparos are as old as the hills since Dioceles raced his chariot.

The F40 vs Diablo comparison is one of the best not only because of the data to produced but also because it revealed how poor early Diablo build quality was, and provided very useful tested & documented information [link above]. Publications spend millions of dollars getting all manner of classic, sports and Supercars together for comparative testing, the net result helps the public evaluate and establish what the cars really are and make choices for different reasons.

Do adults care about the difference between an early Diablo and a later 6.0? You bet they do.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #194 joe sackey, Feb 17, 2022
  20. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #195 joe sackey, Feb 17, 2022
  21. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #196 joe sackey, Feb 17, 2022
  22. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #197 joe sackey, Feb 17, 2022
  23. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #198 joe sackey, Feb 17, 2022
    Spyder-Man likes this.
  24. simpen

simpen Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2016
    Ooph, imagine lending your car for a TV show and receiving it back like that...

25. EMILIO

EMILIO F1 Veteran

Feb 23, 2006
    Italia
    #200 EMILIO, Feb 18, 2022
    Yes, early cars had a bad reputation
    Not only, the clutch was so heavy you really cannot enjoy driving them much: it must be said that the cars went MUCH more reliable with costant improvment over time
    Also most cars had some updates performed on them that made them strong durable cars today (chain tensioners, VT clutch, etc...)

the mid 93 Diablo i own has the VT improved engine, low dash...while still being RWD and has been pretty much bullet proof on 8 years of ownership: in 3 years lamborghini had corrected most of the issues
    But still braking is poor and not on par with the performance and the lack of power steering may be a joy or a nightmare, depending on your mood and what you are going to do it with the car that day

i'd like to test a 1990 one to compare and see if is really quicker, but they are rare to find

1993 onwards VT 5.7 with better brakes and PS is really a good car but personally i am not in love with the awd: it adds weight and makes the car a bit "tame"

As for the 6.0, i have mixed feelings on it really...i know in USA they are super popular but is not my fav diablo
    the interior is fantastic and the "restyling" is still nice today but the car misses the iconic pop up lights, it lost some of the purity of the 5.7 and is less of a brute than the 2WD cars, smooth power delivery as Raymond said makes it feel "slower"

So yes, 6.0 is really a good car and right in the mid btw a diablo and a murcielago in both the look and driving experience

but, as all the cars that are a point of junction btw 2 historical models, it lost a bit of character
    I tested one 6.0 and i did not fall in love with it: it is not a bad boy like some of the older variants and if you want a smooth torque monster that looks a bit "murcie-like" just get a murcielago ;)

personally i think one of the best driving and looking diablos is the SV with the shorter ratios
    we had a 97 in the family for some years and i really miss this one, it had everything:
    - brute power delivery
    - RWD
    - perfect ratios (the regular ratios are too long...sort of primitive traction control LOL)
    - good braking
    - pop up lights

Tu160bomber, Spyder-Man and simpen like this.