Very interesting interview with Bernie. . . . | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Very interesting interview with Bernie. . . .

Discussion in 'F1' started by jknight, Jul 4, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Ha ha what's your point Andreas..:) They need to show they mean business, how else can we get shut of the scum bag.

Tea ahhh lovely I drink it by the gallon theres enough to go round mate single malt well thats different, biut have one on me mate.

I don't really know to be honest, as I said it just seems so crazy to say these things and risk so much fuss, there must be a hidden message, unless he really has lost the plot.

2. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I'm happy we (almost) got rid of Mad Max and I'd love to get rid of Bernie too.

That said, the whole FOTA championship was/is nothing but a big bluff. It would have never gotten off the ground next year.

Hats off to Briatore & Co. for scaring Max enough to throw in the towel. Well played.

3. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Indy..

Canada...

Monaco...

Silvestone...

Rules not written in july for next year... uhhh... how is that any different than the last few years?

TV... will follow the red cars faster than bernie sniffs a dollar..

4. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    I agree it was a bluff... but aces full is a damn good hand, bluff or not.

5. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #30 tifosi12, Jul 4, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2009
    Listing racetracks is easily done. Trying to get a contract inked is another story. Particularly with Bernie having his fingers in all the contracts already.

Actually the rules for next year have been written already. But that aside, the point is that the teams could never agree to one ruleset on their own. They need an independent sports authority that dictates (oops!) them.

Again, national TV stations have probably already existing contracts with Bernie. Might be exclusive rights.

The whole FOTA bluff would have been much more believable if they had shown some tangible deliverables (like a rules book, schedule, list of tracks etc) or at least a timetable. I haven't seen any of that.

They had one ace: Ferrari and the player with that card controls the direction of the game. That's why Max didn't go all in.

6. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Well it's sort of true the bluff thing I'm not 100% I believe they just wanted shut of Max, easiest way possible, I don't ever think we will find out if a breakaway would have worked, the trick was a balancing act, and FOTA did play it well, although I don't think we are out of the woods yet.

7. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    I tried to drink the Highlands dry years ago and failed:)

The simple fact is that dear old Bernard is finally losing it.

8. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    1) It is incredibly hard to imagine a breakaway series would have worked given the egos of the team managers. The moment one would have got in front, the others would have cried foul and changed the rules or else. A systemic problem.

2) The pirate races could not have been put together for next year. For 2011 probably, that's enough time to negotiate contracts and regulations unless problem 1 comes into play...

9. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    LOL..
    I tried to keep some special malts and failed..:) Bowmore single malt bottled on islay around 1850 ..I paid £29,400........only kidding...;) true the amount though.

Yep we shall see what Bernard is up to sometime soon no doubt.

10. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Yes I agree it would have been a minefield of problems, infighting and such, but are we to believe that it is only the FIA that can control and rule over the teams.

And I can't for the life of me see any other way of removing Mosley and Bernie for that matter without hurting them in the pocket.

11. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    #36 VIZSLA, Jul 4, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2009
    I vaguely remember a pub not far from John O' Groats that claimed to have each and every single malt. Vaguely for obvious reasons;)
    Among the Islay malts I prefer Lagavulin or Laphroig

12. Modeler

Modeler F1 Veteran

May 19, 2008
    State of confusion
    Full Name:
    a.n.other
    Bernie thought he was talking about Max and F1 but woke up this morning to find he'd been talking about himself.

He thought if he says hitler they'll write three paras on mosley but they didn't this time. There's a lot of anti-bernie sentiment out there.

13. thecheddar

thecheddar Formula 3

Jun 29, 2006
    Santa Monica
    Full Name:
    Cheddar, The
    Y'know, a lot of us here have said Bernie should be removed or fired or a breakaway without him would be better. But now, on the eve of the German GP and in Mercedes & BMW's home-turf...?

He really has to go. As in, "this time we really mean it." This is an outrage of outrages that goes beyond racing, business or any sense of decency.

14. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    On the surface, Hitler DID 'get things done', the problem is he didn't listen to people more in touch
    with how the war was going, if he had, the outcome would have been different.
    The things he 'got done' were sometimes not in the best interests of his forces, but he did
    get a lot out of his forces, just sometimes not the right stuff at the right time.

Bernie's problem is he just needs to keep his yap shut, but when you get to be his age,
    and have multi-millions, you get a free pass on mistakes.

15. thecheddar

thecheddar Formula 3

Jun 29, 2006
    Santa Monica
    Full Name:
    Cheddar, The
    Don't even go there.

16. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Is Bernie is having flashbacks to Neville Chamberlain?

Maybe it's all those "peace in our time" references from the FOTA deal. :p

17. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Other than monetary, what is Mr. Ecclestone's faith? His name appears on a list of prominent wealthy individuals of the Jewish faith, but I can not be certain.

18. P1-EH

P1-EH Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2007
    Waterloo, Ont.
    Full Name:
    Mark
    The next time Bernie and Max are together sipping sherry and smoking a Cohiba, they must pinky-swear to each other that they will never again do, or say anything that references, invokes or hints at, however vaguely, Adolf Hitler, the Nazis or KERs.

19. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #44 JoeZaff, Jul 5, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2009
    This was the absolute last straw for me and formula one. I have put up with the nonsense, the egos, and all the rest of the B.S. for too long. Now I remember all the reasons why I stopped watching it years ago. But now, this is beyond the pale. Anyone who subscribes to the notion that Hitler was ignorant to the mass genocide, or was somehow anything other than a complete and utter monster is beyond contempt. I am not Jewish. However, I have worked with many holocaust survivors in my life, and my best friend has no extended family whatsoever thanks to the Nazis. Whatever positive attributes Hitler may have had as a speaker, politician and strategist are so far overshadowed by the abhorrence he perpetrated that it defies all logic as to how his name can even be mentioned in conversation. What troubles me most is that Bernie either did this for calculated reasons, which demonstrates an unexpressable insensitivity to millions who suffered--including the German people, or he is some sort of Nazi sympathizer, who I have no patience for.

Bernies comments have just given extraordinary political cover to any car manufacturer who wants to duck out of F1 and start their own series, I wish FOTA would, but I know they won't. Money, not principles, make the world go around.

F1 will not see another dime of my money until that arrogant b$stard is gone. It won't make much of a difference if I am the only one, but hopefully I wont be...

20. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
  21. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    He's even made MSNBC.Com

The World Jewish Congress is calling for Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone to resign after he was quoted as saying that Adolf Hitler "got things done."

also this:
    In a statement Sunday, Ronald Lauder, president of the World Jewish Congress, says Ecclestone is not fit to serve as head of Formula One and calls on teams, drivers and host countries to suspend their cooperation with him.

for more go to:

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/31747303/ns/sports-motor_sports/

Carol

22. JoeGuitar

JoeGuitar Formula Junior

May 27, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I have a feeling this thing has legs :D

23. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    It doesn't really matter.

Even if his parents were Jews who were persecuted under the Nazi regime, it doesn't give him a free pass to make such an idiotic comment.

I know what Bernie was trying to say, but he used the dumbest examples out there to make his point. I think he has become far too confident that he can say and do anything he likes without fear of repercussions. His comments made the front page of Fox News in the USA, and I think there will probably be significant fallout over his words. And rightfully so.

24. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    Too bad no one has the balls to get things done by running over this piece of crap in the pits!

25. aquapuss

aquapuss Formula 3

Sep 18, 2005
    #50 aquapuss, Jul 5, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2009
    Only yesterday F1 was about to cease to exist. Today every swinging dick is talking about F1 all over the world. And Bernie is laughing all the way to the bank. Bold moves from the old guy.