Very interesting interview with Bernie. . . . | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Very interesting interview with Bernie. . . .

Discussion in 'F1' started by jknight, Jul 4, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. labcars

labcars Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Phila. + Scottsdale
  2. tommott77

tommott77 Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2009
    NC
    Full Name:
    Tom
  3. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    Actually, if he made these statements in Germany, he'd be in serious trouble right now. Denying the holocaust is a criminal offense here.

4. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    from f1 live

At best, Ecclestone has show very poor judgement

Bernie Ecclestone has dismissed as a ‘big misunderstanding’ the international furore created by his recent interview with London's Times newspaper.

Not only was the F1 Chief Executive's apparent defence of Adolf Hitler condemned by Jewish groups, it is believed sections of the Formula One world argue it is evidence the 78-year-old should retire.

"All this is a big misunderstanding," Ecclestone told Germany's Bild newspaper.

"In the interview we were talking about structures and that it can sometimes be good to act and make strong decisions without reservation," he explained.

"I wasn't using Hitler as a positive example, but pointing out that before his dreadful crimes he worked successfully against unemployment and economic problems," said Ecclestone.

The wide-circulation German newspaper asked the Briton if he felt the need to apologise.

"It was never my intention to hurt the feelings of any community," Bernie replied. "Many people in my closest circle of friends are Jewish.

"Anyone who knows me knows that I would never attack a minority," he added.

5. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    From AP:
    Sure, Bernie; we know. :rolleyes:

6. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Melt down Max keeps quiet for a whole week so now its Bernie's turn.
    What a sport.

7. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Aha: Bernie is setting up Max's next comments:

"I vas just following orders." <erk>

8. Modeler

Modeler F1 Veteran

May 19, 2008
    State of confusion
    Full Name:
    a.n.other
    An interesting insight into Bernie's views comes when we see all the cars in his collection lack their driver's names. That's true even of the championship winning cars.
    His old team owner's antipathy to drivers and their wants still persists apparently.
    Drivers and spectators rank last on Bernie's list it seems.

9. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #59 kraftwerk, Jul 6, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2009
    Its not the first time mighty mouth Bernie spews BS..for the tabloids.
    20 Mar 2004
    Ecclestone is not one of them. He is content. And why not when he owns the world of Formula One? No sporting leader, few business tycoons and barely a politician on the global stage wields the power and sway of Ecclestone.

He is a boss of the old school, as in out-and-out dictator. His father was the captain of a North Sea trawler but his lineage might go back to Attila the Hun for all the attention he likes to pay to the voice of opposition. "Torture?" he says at one point. "It's just an old-fashioned way of getting things done." You sense his regret in the new-fangled modern methods of damnable democracy. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/2375239/The-funny-billionaire-in-trapped-in-the-body-of-a-tyrant.html

May 7, 2005 New york times http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/06/sports/06iht-prix.html
    "What's happened over the years, we've introduced that terrible word 'democracy,"' he said. "When I started, and it ran for a long time, it was really dictatorship. It was always, 'Be reasonable, do it my way.' Is that right or wrong? I don't know."

Ect ..http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/profiles/bernie-ecclestone-the-goblin-driving-a-hard-bargain-with-the-future-510866.html
    Ect...
    http://www.sundaymail.co.uk/news/uk-and-international-news/2008/02/17/ecclestone-britain-needs-a-dictator-78057-20322314/
    Ect..http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-514808/Why-I-detest-democracy-I-gave-Labour-1m--wife-said-I-asked-mistress-Bernie-Ecclestone.html

Yes Bernie we get it.... "A good dictator is better for a country than a democracy" now shove off

10. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    F1live

The future of the German Grand Prix at Hockenheim, as well as the viability of Bernie Ecclestone's long-standing role at the head of F1's commercial rights, fell under a dark cloud on Monday.

In the wake of the 78-year-old F1 chief executive's extraordinary interview with the Times of London, in which he spoke about dictators including Hitler, a German politician has cancelled a planned meeting with the Briton.

In the interview, Ecclestone said Hitler was one of his favourite historical dictators for his ability to "command a lot of people" and "get things done", adding that "in the end he got lost so he wasn't a very good dictator because either he had all these things and knew what was going on and insisted, or he just went along with it."

To German newspaper Bild, Ecclestone afterwards insisted that he did not want to put Hitler in a positive light but meant to say that "before his dreadful crimes he worked successfully against unemployment and economic problems.

We reported late last week that Ecclestone was due to meet with Baden-Wurttemberg state premier Gunther Oettinger at the Nurburgring this weekend, in a bid to rescue embattled Hockenheim's Formula One round.

But in the wake of the controversy, a spokesman for the Oettinger government says the meeting has been called off.

Spokesman Christoph Dahl is quoted by the German news agency Deutsche Presse-Agentur as confirming that it is the controversy surrounding Ecclestone's comments that sparked the decision.

Earlier, the Central Council of Jews in Germany joined the chorus of condemnation, referring specifically to the then-scheduled Ecclestone-Oettinger meeting.

"One must not negotiate with fascists. One must condemn them and spurn them," the Council's deputy head Dieter Graumann said.

retirement at the north or south pole might be an option at this point in time

Carol

11. P1-EH

P1-EH Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2007
    Waterloo, Ont.
    Full Name:
    Mark
    And so Bernie has called himself 'an idiot' and has issued an 'unreserved apology'. I love this part: "I never supported Hitler, I don't think there's anybody in this world who could support Hitler and the atrocities they carried out," continued Ecclestone.

Perhaps Bernie needs to have another look at Max's parent's wedding album. Some nice shots of the Fuhrer there.