Vet copying Ferrari... | Page 8 | FerrariChat

Vet copying Ferrari...

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by of2worlds, Jul 12, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bimmer32five

bimmer32five Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    MD
    Full Name:
    Mark
    cheap is relative. i don't think 43k is cheap.

2. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Thats a really strange price.....in 2000 I paid 48,000 for a 1 year old loaded convertible. All the stickers I saw last week when I was getting my Camaro serviced were all $60-ish.....

3. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    You F'in peasant.....you couldn't carry his Gucci man-purse and you know it.....

4. bimmer32five

Nov 3, 2003
    MD
    Full Name:
    Mark

Convertibles are in that range you are talking about Shark01. Kerbeck in Atlantic City often has the coupes for low $40k's but that doesn't include any options. And since they are one of the largest Corvette dealers, they can sell some vettes for that price.

5. acarey617

acarey617 Karting

Jul 30, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Come on.

A Ferrari owner who buys a $300,000+ car can sure as hell afford the $70,000 Corvettes which you claim are faster. Maybe they don't want them. Not all car buyers choose their vehicles purely on performance numbers.

At the same time, for those who can't afford a Ferrari or do want the best performance car for their money, there's nothing wrong with them purchasing a Corvette. Talking about how you'd use it to shop for groceries or vaguely dismissing it because of it's manufacturer doesn't make it any slower or less of a car.

Apples and oranges, folks. Buy what you want, who cares what ferrarisnob430 or 1000hpZ07 says about it.

6. aventino

aventino Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2003
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    David L
    I got a bad feeling one of those is going to be slightly more expensive than the Vette when the diff or tranny falls apart. Somewhere in there you have to factor in the cost of maintaining.

7. Cajun

Cajun Formula 3

Mar 20, 2004
    Da BY-U
    Full Name:
    MJG
    Thanks man for shattering my dreams!!!

On a side note, I am still laughing my a$$ of at this post!!! Thanks for making my day!!! :D

8. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005
    How this thread go from Vettes and Ferraris to touchy feely talk and man purses?

9. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    And why do people spend $1K+ on these things when you can get a decent nylon one for less than 1/10th the price?

10. acarey617

acarey617 Karting

Jul 30, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I believe the proper term is "man bag."

11. TexFerrari

TexFerrari Formula 3

Sep 11, 2004
    Texas of course!
    Two words; IT WAS.

LOL.

How does your 355 run 12.5 quarter mile times or better? Faster than 4.2 to 60 mphs also? wow.

I can arrange for someone to prove it if you would like, but looking at the weight, numbers, gearing and notes from people that have tried should suffice. :)

12. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005
    If it is that fast it comes down to driver skill, my 355 is pushing 400hp, the Vette certainly didn't feel faster thats the problem it was numb and boring.

Heres a better one:), how about we arrange how many hot women each car can get with them initiating conversation parked at a busy spot? Or just number of overall compliments from bystanders as well?
    Ferraris even the slowest offer more than just magazine numbers

13. bimmer32five

Nov 3, 2003
    MD
    Full Name:
    Mark
    wow...somehow this post from you doesn't suprise me. If you're buying a car to attract women...you've got problems.

14. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005
    Didn't buy it for that, just one of the perks

Vettes are flashy as well and do this but nowhere near the same level as a Ferrari
    Seems like you don't like attractive women, interesting

15. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom

You are lying my friend. A Ferrari for the most part is a female repelling machine but a guy magnet. If you are a gay man hard up for a mate then buy a Ferrari for that purpose. Nothing would work better for you (not that there is anything wrong with that).

You want a vehicle to attract females?? Buy a Jeep YJ, take the doors off and roof, buy a trailer and a boat or some seadoos. Then you will attract the females.

I service, own and drive all types of Ferrari's everyday. I have yet to have an attractive female (my age) say 2 words. Most just ignore the car and the dude behind the wheel. But get behind the wheel of a muscle car (vette included in this) or a nice pick-up truck with a boat on the back..look out, they come running.

16. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005

Um, right

I have had all types of sports cars, 911s, Vettes and other muscle cars nothing compares to a Ferrari concerning attention from females, they initiate conversations and ask about the car. A Ferrari shows money, success and confidence to drive such a car, which is what women want.

Maybe you are driving around in a mechanics outift and they know its not your car, or your attitude is indifferent and un approachable which is why you haven't had any words spoken to you. A Ferrari is intimidating to some women so an unapproachable attitude of any kind would put them off

17. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Since no one asked me ....

My experience owning a 355, viper and E55

355: Women look at it as a penis extension. Except for the gold diggers who love it.

Viper: Women look at it as a penis extension. Except for the blue collar trampy chicks who love it.

E55: Women love it.

If Im going out on a date the chick ALWAYS..without exception..wants to go in the E55.

18. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom

I have 2 Ferrari's parked in my driveway right now, one is a yellow on black 355 spider..the other is a silver 360 coupe. The yellow 355 I will admit does get the looks form the ladies..but they are all cougars. I have had cards left on the windshields with phone numbers etc..but have never called.

Yes a Ferrari shows money, but in the eyes of most females, a very foolish use of money. I guess it could show success, but anybody now a days can finance a Ferrari. if you make 4k a month you could have a Ferrari in your driveway by today's lease standards. It does not take confidence to drive a Ferrari, it takes REAL confidence to drive an old wood paneled station wagon with holes in the body, and get it valet parked.

Real females do not look for the flashy things. They look at the entire picture. Women see men in flashy cars as trying way to hard to impress other people..and a complete lack of security within themselves. If your looking for a gold digger then flashy cars and expensive watches are great for that, but if you are looking for a real women, the one that approaches you in your normal everyday car while you are in a pair of jeans and beat up running shoes...that's the one you should look into.

19. Cajun

Cajun Formula 3

Mar 20, 2004
    Da BY-U
    Full Name:
    MJG

Well stated.

I guess it all comes down to what you are looking for. I have pulled some of the hottest women around when none of my cars were anywhere in sight. Just me and a pair of sneakers...now THAT is game.

Hell, when I meet a babe for the first few times, I don't even raise the garage door. All she sees or rides in for the first month + is my 7 y/o 4wd Jeep Cherokee Classic.

I can't help but laugh at guys who buy cars to impress women...who wants to be around a woman so shallow? It was fun in highschool & college, now it is just a headache...

20. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005
    Well we can debate this all day long each has their own opinions

First off concerning confidence to own a Ferrari no question in my mind to those that actually drive them not leave them in the garage, first off you can have a huge repair bill at any time which requires financial confidence, then all the attention Ferraris get both positive and negative, people coming up asking questions so forth, those that are insecure would blush and hide from it so yes confidence there, its as if you are in the spotlight when driving a nice one.

Concerning shallow women because they like a guy in a Ferrari come on, even though few will admit it that they went out with a guy because he has a nice car meaning has $$$ they do it, I have had a couple say yes I never have been out with a guy that owned a Ferrari so why not I'll give it a shot you seemed more interesting over all the other guys stepping over themselves to go out with me, this after the truth comes out many dates later, so what if it makes dating hot women easier and I like a girl thats selective and hot vs one that will go out with some loser in a POS car that can't buy dinner

Men are never shallow either, we always pick the girl with the great personality over some knockout that looks stunning in a tight dress, what one guy may consider hot is also another topic as well, I am picky though

21. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    I am confused. Did we sort of loose track of the topic?

22. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005
    I believe it was lost when the subject of man purses was brought up sometime back :)

23. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Thanks for reminding us of that little gem.

OK - here is my attempt at re-alignment: Would anyone like to present an idea on just this simple premise?

When and if will Chevrolet ever see fit to again attempt an overhead cam engine for the Vette, or will they just go on forever with the pushrods?

IMHO, unless this step is seen as necessary to make their car world-class, we don't have any real need to discuss them imitating anything Ferrari. Most of the official comments on the subject seem to present the big inch pushrod motor as a virtue rather than as a regrettable throwback.

24. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    They aren't even discussing it as far as we know, even for the Blue Devil. Last time (ZR-1), they couldn't even build the engine themselves and the public wasn't won over by the design change.....just the horsepower, they didn't care how the power was generated. Unless they run into issues like Porsche did with the in-efficiency of air cooling with increasing horsepower, or the public decides its not advanced enough.......no, they'll stay with the push rods.

Nothing wrong with them, as along as they're willing to keep increasing displacement to adjust for the inefficiencies.

25. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    The real question is when will the Japanese and European car makers convert over to push rod engines. They are less expensive to make, get better fuel economy per cc and have a more usable torque curve for street use...