vibram five fingers.... your thoughts please | Page 5 | FerrariChat

vibram five fingers.... your thoughts please

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Edward 96GTS, Oct 1, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    I think that possibly they're not sized right?

I received a pair of the lace up ones in 2009 and I've been wearing them ever since and I don't get any callouses. I am not sure if these ever made it into production or not but they had certain athletes test them to see how they worked. I've never owned the regular kind with the velcro, only this one lace up pair, so I can't say if it would be different with those.

Also, I do have "different" feet than most people - my toes account for almost 1/3 of the total length of my feet and they are spread out more like fingers than like typical toes. The Vibrams have been really good for someone like me. I think that if you are a bit off on the size and your toes aren't as spread out, it leaves the door open for excessive rubbing around the toe and ball of your foot as you might be experiencing. When I put mine on, the tension of the shoe is very light and evenly distributed and very comfortable with no slipping or rubbing.

Hope that helps.

2. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    The make VFF socks. Well, VFF doesn't make them, another company does. I can't remember the name right now. I know they sell them at Dick's.

3. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    You're thinking of Injinji

FWIW, I tried some VFFs and wasn't over-the moon about them. Perhaps they didn't quite fit correctly, but I just couldn't get used to the fit/feel. I switched to some NB Minimus trail shoes that I love. Roomy toe box, no heel-to-toe drop, and good traction outdoors. Between the gym and trails, I'm sold on them.

My biggest worry about VFFs is the folks I see running on asphalt in them. I definitely want (and use) more shock absorption when I'm on unforgiving pavement. YMMV

4. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    Yes, Injinji.

I haven't ran since my accident but I did get a bunch of miles in my VFF's. They were worthless in mud, worthless on the street and pretty much worthless for the hardpacked sand/limestone that is our earth here in South Florida. Like you I picked up some good trail shoes. Mine are Reeboks I think. The small amount of cushion they provide is a blessing on a trail run for sure.

5. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    I'm planning on getting the VFF Seeya's for running, looks like they're about as minimal as it gets. Anyone wear VFF's casually too? They're pretty great, but if they attract a ton of attention it may not be worth it apart from runs.

6. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    In light of today's news I resurrected this old thread.

People who bought these Vibram FiveFinger shoes may be entitled to a refund

7. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I just heard about the refund on the radio.

Interestingly, you do not need to provide proof of purchase to collect it.

Matt

8. 308inSD

308inSD F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 17, 2010
    SD, CA
    Full Name:
    Greg