Video on DIY replacing the upper ball joints | FerrariChat

Video on DIY replacing the upper ball joints

Discussion in '360/430' started by Normal Guy Supercar, Feb 16, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Normal Guy Supercar

BANNED

Sep 25, 2016
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Daniel Hurlbert
    Well, I haven't posted in a while, but I'm going to be starting a series of DIY projects on the F430 thanks to a sponsorship with Ricambi America! So to kick it off, they sent me upper ball joints and all the goodies to remove and replace. As I'm sure most of you know, the OEM ball joints are made of chrome plated steel instead of stainless steel. So eventually the chrome plating pits and corrodes, causing the joints to start popping, creaking, and get loose. Hill Engineering makes a stainless steel replacement that is much more durable than the OEM ball joints, so if you do this, use their parts for sure.

Oh, and I messed up when installing them and didn't notice the step where you add grease. DUH! So I had to do a follow up video and grease them.

It's a fairly simple job, although having the press tool certainly would make life easier. You might be able to fashion a socket to press out the joints and save some money.

R&R Ball Joints Video:

Follow up adding grease:

Ball Joints Kit - UBJ-360-K - https://bit.ly/2HyNFBM
    Ball Joint extraction tool - UBJ-360-BRT - https://bit.ly/2sDNjQn
    Hysol Glue - 184241 - https://bit.ly/2S2HFW4
    Hysol Dispenser tool - 184241-T - https://bit.ly/2sDMvuH
    Grease I used: https://amzn.to/2EdvNsG
    Grease gun: https://amzn.to/2EeEUJO

If there's any particular DIY video you think would be a good one, let me know as we're planning to do at least 6 more and we're trying to do items that are really common on the 430 or 360.

2. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Love your videos

Maybe

Flambloc bushings

Gear box oil change with the proper blowing of oil lines and cleaning of screen.

F1 full fluid replacement and bleed .. I am hoping someone with lend you a autel or sd diag tool

Clutch replacement

Belt change .. going thru the back of passenger compartment

Power steering flush

Coolant flush .. not sure if you did this already

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

3. Normal Guy Supercar

BANNED

Sep 25, 2016
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Daniel Hurlbert
    The clutch is on the list, but will probably be the last item. And when I do the clutch I'll replace the transmission mount as well.

I'm planning to do the coolant on my own soon as mine is due.

I did change the trans fluid on mine and cleaned the screen. I tried to blow out the lines but it didn't make much of a difference.

I'll see about some of the other suggestions. Those may be good ones as they are all common.

Thanks for the suggestions. :)

flash32 likes this.
  4. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    #4 flash32, Feb 16, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
    Must have missed that one

Wish I was close to you so I can give you a hand

5. blown94conv

blown94conv Karting

Feb 3, 2007
    Berlin, CT
    Full Name:
    David
    Great video, makes me wonder about the $4,000 about I got to get the front ones replaced. Mind you, I didn’t ask them to check them, but they were more then happy to volunteer to do them.

I’m not against a shop making money, but I’m also not about to blow money away.

6. Normal Guy Supercar

BANNED

Sep 25, 2016
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Daniel Hurlbert
    Are doing upper and lower ball joints? The parts alone would be about $1500 +/- a few hundred... So at $150-200/hour they're factoring in over 10 hours of work... That seems expensive.

7. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Just a FYI

I looked at the current manual and it states that they no longer recommend changing ball joints and recommend changing the whole arm

The older version showed the process as you followed

Just curious why the change .. money thing ? Safety thing? Too many screw up at dealers

Any thoughts welcome

8. Jgivoo

Jgivoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2016
    New Jersey
    Ferrari needs to sell its surplus control arm inventory.

APA#1 and Ricambi America like this.
  9. mike01606

mike01606 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2012
    Cheshire UK
    Full Name:
    Mike M
    Have you the TSB that says grease the bearings? The original WSM said use Fiat MR3 grease on the ball joints and bolt heads but that was on the original chrome plated steel parts. The HE stainless steel joints have a PTFE liner so should not require lubrication. I’m not saying greasing them is incorrect I’ve just not seen it done before on the HE joints.

10. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Interesting. I’ve never seen the actual HE joint so had no idea about the coating.

Will PTFE degrade in the presence of synthetic grease? I could see it being better either way unless grease negatively affects the coating (I suppose even if it doesn’t chemically attack the coating, it will attract dirt and likely abrade the coating over time).

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

11. fotostars

fotostars Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Bay Area
    I asked HE and they basically sent me a PDF of the new WSM and recommended following it. This is where Dan got the info too, I believe. The new WSM shows the grease being applied to the boot. I was thinking it was to help the boot get on the thing easier. I'm pretty sure they'll work fine without grease but shouldn't do anything bad to add some.

mike01606 and Need4Spd like this.
  12. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Not sure how new that WSM since the new WSm says that they do not recommend to changing ball joints but to replace whole arm

Maybe that an updated WSM but not the latest

Just a FYI ..

13. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Thanks for the video Daniel!

Dan