Views on Maserati's past, present, and future... | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Views on Maserati's past, present, and future...

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Merak1974, Jan 23, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. licodix

licodix Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2009
    Central
    Full Name:
    Barchetta Mad Max
    Maserati Blue - I know all these things.
    And of course we all have a understanding for the company policies.
    But it remains that the character and especailly the enigines of these current line of Trident cars are far away from what even FIAT could achieve if they would work a bit hard.

If you consider more mass production market for Maserati - the quality and the technical standard need to be according.
    It may be that the US and Chinese customer do not care about fuel econmy, but it is absolutely inacceptably how inefficient Maserati engines are today - even compared to their F "sister" cars.
    If you want to compeat with Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Jaguar & Lexus for the next generation big saloon, you need to spice up things a lot. (I follwoed the V12 discussion with interest - and if you want to distinguish from tripple-turboed downsized 8s - have a great V12 - tehn at laast everybody knows what to expect in terms of efficiency).
    One note: It will be extremlly funny to see how the Maserati PR people will dance the dance, once another Maserati enigen is a "double-turbo" due to technical / environmental requirements. hahaha

2. William Abraham

William Abraham Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    William Abraham
    #52 William Abraham, May 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I like QPIIIs and that interior is just fabulous but what sort of dreams do you think this is going generate if it's hanging on a young boys bedroom wall?

4. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I understand what you're saying but I think that's all in the past.
    Today's Maserati is much more about lots of bling on nicely styled coachwork.
    I find the interiors too busy and not elegant enough. Same with Ferrari. It's a phenomena will all cars now. OK not 911s.

They could make this lightweight mid engine car and if it's light enough, has an up to snuff engine/drivetrain in it and is under $150K that might work. Let's face it, they can't shoot for Ferrari or McLaren territory. They don't have their own technology. Maybe an Italian Lotus makes more sense?

Realistically speaking, all of these cars are so GD fast now and for most of us there's no place to drive them to their full capabilities.

5. Vanquish80

Vanquish80 Formula Junior

Aug 1, 2011
    Germany,Switzerland
    Hi.

I own a 2012 QP since a short time and a 2004 Spyder CC since a week.

I got some interesting information about future Maseratis from an insider. I did not read all comments here, so please don't be disappointed if it is not new to you.

Maserati will launch a SUV, not sure if Kubang will be its official name (well, this isn't new, I know).

What is more interesting is, the New Quattroporte will come as a diesel (6 cylinders) and they are thinking about 4 cylinders, too.

And YES, there will be a small QP, too. 4 and 6 cylinders (Sorry, i can't stop thinking about the X type)

Maybe I will get more details, but at the moment that should be facts.

Personally I think a SUV and a little QP are a totally stupid idea. They are destroying their history and Image.
    Well, we have to wait. But if I have a look at the new QP (Photoshop) Images, I fear what we have to expect.

6. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    In order to make an SUV and a small QP viable, they need to make the badge desireble first, and from what I see, they aren't there by a long shot.

7. licodix

licodix Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2009
    Central
    Full Name:
    Barchetta Mad Max
    You are basically right. I know also for sure from someone in the automotive supply industry that "baby QP" and SUV will arrive. If CEO announces 458 based Maser and the car is a real stunner - man, I will buy it!!!!!

8. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Sorry to say it but sports cars and racing will not lead to success for maser. Current path is correct

The gt cars are good for now but will need to keep up with new coupes from mb, bmw, jag, porsche. The suv will be a big hit so thats covered. Next need to focus on a killer top of the line qp. The current one is too old and no longer competitive in the segment.

9. Maserati Blue

Maserati Blue Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2010
    Europe
    well, it depends what you mean by success.

if you want Maserati to become an every day BMW who nobody cares about, then yes you are in the right path to succeed.

which means that you loose the exotic brand name, the uniqueness of the car on the road and the overall "coolness". Sure thing, with 50,000 cars per year, a stupid cheap QP and an idiotic SUV, you've succeeded in ruining the brand!

I dare you to show up with the SUV at a Maserati meeting... and be the clown of the meeting :)

10. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    By success i mean stay in business. Wouldnt be bad for maser to be an italian alternative to the germans. I feel making exotic sports cars will put them out of business. Leave that to ferrari

Ps. No one laughs at cayenes at a porsche meet

11. Maserati Blue

Dec 13, 2010
    Europe
    Why not make Maserati an alternative to Ferrari? instead of bringing Maserati down to a lower "level"? I think making an exotic brand out of an every day one, is harder, so once they destroy the brand, they won't be able to bring it back to its current status.

Yeah, because nobody takes them seriously anyway. It is like bringing a fake Rolex on a watch collectors gathering, you'll be a joke. Same with the cayenne, a fake imitation of a sports car.

I am sure that if someone brings a Maserati SUV to a Maserati gathering, nobody will tell him right in his face that his SUV is a disgrace to the brand. But behind his back everyone will be saying exactly that.

12. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Well, BMW is is highly successful - so there are enough people on this planet who looooove to get a BMW. And ...eh...I own BMW-shares at the stock market - and they paid me veeeery well.....!

13. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    well ...eh...I also own Porsche-shares on the stock market and they also paid me veeeeery well.....::))! So - don`t say anything bad about the P`s......!!!!!..::))

14. trustno1

trustno1 Formula Junior

Aug 4, 2011
    nth boring
    Full Name:
    IN COGNITO
    So how are the FIAT S.P.A. shares doing?

15. tolissoff

tolissoff Rookie

Apr 2, 2012
    New Zealand
    Funnily enough, I see Maserati now as the strongest they have been probably since the 30's. Widespread support and sales for a range of sporting GTs and 'Executive carriages'.
    The Quattroporte series is (imho) the most elegant of all in that genre, including Rollers.
    However, if Maserati visited their roots in the nostalgia museum, as Fiat (the 500) and BMW (the Mini) have done so successfully, would this broaden their appeal?
    The big car/luxury market and the conflicts with Ferrari in sporting GTs, Alfa Romeo and Lancia in smaller saloons make it crowded and difficult to differentiate market place.

Perhaps a resurrection of the A6GCS?
    A very pretty and dynamic car (Alfa 1750 turbo powered?) entering a genuine 'sports car' arena that exists widely and is strongly supported by moderately well off folks?
    Sponsor a 'marque' race series with them?
    Just 5 cents worth.
    Ollie

16. Maserati Blue

Dec 13, 2010
    Europe
    hahaha fair enough then Walter, as you pointed out, it is all about money :)