Villa d'Est | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Villa d'Est

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Napolis, Mar 27, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller

Thanks for turning the God-awful ugly Enzo into a beautiful car!

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Congrats, Mr. G.!

The new Audi concept car was on display here at a Houston Grand Prix event, and was equipped with those special lighting blocks.......

Ahem, there was a guy there in a red Horsie shirt, explaining to them what they were for..;)

3. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Yeah so unfortunate :(

And yes Jim, I totally agree with dretceterini, your P4/5' is miles better looking than the Enzo Ferrari produced.

Pete

4. pastmaster

pastmaster Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2006
    Alma, Michigan USA
    Yes Indeedy! Arate, There is no comparison, the P4/5 is a beautiful young woman, the ENZO, is an actress from Star Trek. This is only my opinion, of course.

Ciao...Paolo ;)

5. pastmaster

Feb 5, 2006
    Alma, Michigan USA
    Napolis,

I am curious and it may have mentioned before, but have you ever taken Piero Ferrari, for a ride in P4/5, or have a talk with him about it? It would be interesting to read of his impressions of the car, like Mr. Andrea Pininfarina, has in the interviews of his thoughts of it.

Ciao...Paolo

6. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus

Piero saw the car at the Paris Show and was very complementary. He's a nice guy.

Best

7. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #133 Napolis, May 1, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. pastmaster

Feb 5, 2006
    Alma, Michigan USA
    Ah Yes! I see both of you behind the men in the foreground. Any idea who they are, they both look distinguished and prominent. Grazie.

Ciao...Paolo :)

9. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    I believe the one on the right is Sergio Pininfarina.

10. GTSguy

GTSguy Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    #136 GTSguy, May 1, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Paolo - I spoke with several people who have owned, researched and worked with Gullwings for many years this past weekend. Interestingly, they were unable to shed any light on the Gullwing's design. Karl Wilfert was the chief of 'design' in the 50's. I have found little about him related to design. It was suggested that I check out Bruno Sacco's influence.

Secco studied mech. engineering at the Technical University of Turin. He then joined Mercedes in 1958 after being turned down at Ghia and Pininfarina. In a web piece on Sacco I find the following comment:

'The Mercedes-Benz racing program supplied the Mercedes-Benz passenger-car program with numerous advanced engineering solutions. Its vital emphasis on pure function has colored the personality of every Mercedes-Benz introduced in a major portion of the past century. Yet, in the early 1950s, the functional goals that had once dictated every element of Mercedes-Benz design began to merge with other more aesthetic concerns. This was not, however, a complete departure....

.....some of the most beautiful and most successful racing cars of all time--the Mercedes-Benz grand prix machines of the late 1920s to the mid-1950s--were not "styled" or even "designed," but were developed by the racing department to a few straightforward criteria of pure function: minimal weight with maximum engine output, aerodynamic efficiency, and psychological impact. '

In other words, the SLR was not 'designed' in the modern sense but rather engineered with some thought for aesthetics.

See: http://www.brophy.com/eodweb/htmls/designers/hd97_1.htm

Jon
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. pastmaster

Feb 5, 2006
    Alma, Michigan USA
    Jon,

Thank You very much, for your reply to my observations of the Ferrari and MB 300SLR, and their design relationship, as I see it.

So it seems that not only did Karl Wilfert have a primary design influence, but Rudi Ulenhaut, may have had a greater influence(s), with the 300SL Sports Cars. So in saying, It looks like that, because it is, what it is, or form following function, reflecting it's engineering and cost(s), would that be an accurate statement for our comparison and discussion of these beautiful machines? They both reached the same destination. using different paths and philosophies? As do many others, that's what makes these discussions so interesting, to me. I'll PM you in a few days, not to make this run-on too long. I have met afew of these fine gentlemen on the Honored Designers, on the brophy site.

Ciao...Paolo

12. pastmaster

Feb 5, 2006
    Alma, Michigan USA
    Napolis,

Talk about "The Big Guns", there are the Big-Shooters, rubbing elbows, next to each other!

Ciao...Paolo

13. Alan Guerzoni

Alan Guerzoni Karting

Dec 27, 2006
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Alan Guerzoni
    One of the most complete reportage of Villa d'Este (sorry, only in italian language...) is visible here:

http://www.virtualcar.it/?cat=36

There I met Sergio, webmaster of the website, and I must say that is really an awesome person. We talked for about an hour about the p4/5 and mostly the historical cars.

14. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Yes, that is Sergio. He is aging well. Probably in his 70's now. Hopefully he will make it to the US one more time.

In that picture, Piero is behind him.

-F

15. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    Ya, haha, +1