VIN and Motor #'s | FerrariChat

VIN and Motor #'s

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by docweed, Aug 18, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. docweed

docweed Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2004
    Morgantown,WV
    Full Name:
    Chuck Stewart
    I've been trying to tract down some info on my 79 308's motor number and VIN. A search of the archives found no articles of any consequence and two articles on VIN's say that the Federal Motor Vehicle Theft Law Enforcement Act did not apply till after Jan 1 1980 or Oct 25, 1984 depending on which article you're reading. In any event I can find no info to check out my numbers. Is their any connection between the motor number and the VIN. My motor # is F106AE and on the chassis the VIN # starts with F106AS. Should they not be the same? And the motor # is not included in the chassis #. What say you?

2. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Chuck, the motor number you're seeing, F106AS, is not your motor number, rather it's your motor TYPE. Same thing with that chassis "number"; F106AE is your 308's chassis TYPE... After your chassis type, there should be a five digit number - that's your serial number, or chassis number... The VIN didn't appear until 1980, which is why your car only has a serial number and not a VIN... Let me know your serial number, i'll see what i can find...

3. Chiaroman

Chiaroman Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 21, 2004
    New Jersey
    Hello,

Go to the Ferrari site and enter the owners section.

They won't let you in unless you register your car, but it will allow you to then apply for a certificate of authenticity.

You only need the serial number, the engine number and the transmission number (and it's free!)

4. docweed

docweed Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2004
    Morgantown,WV
    Full Name:
    Chuck Stewart

Where is the engine and tranny number? After checking some of the tags on this car I saw that it was made in Sept 1978 and the pollution tag said that it complied with 1978 standards yet it is titled as a 1979. I'll check with the Owners Section as you suggested if I can get in as I think I registered a while back. Thanks

5. docweed

docweed Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2004
    Morgantown,WV
    Full Name:
    Chuck Stewart
    Thanks guys I'll check into it further. My Serial# is 25725

6. Vlad328

Vlad328 Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2004
    New Orleans, LA
    Full Name:
    Vladimir Zuzukin
    This guy in Germany has a register tracking most 308 GTB cars pre 1980 according to the chassis number:

http://www.308gtb.de/

7. docweed

docweed Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2004
    Morgantown,WV
    Full Name:
    Chuck Stewart

Wish there was one of these for the 308 GTS.

8. Vlad328

Vlad328 Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2004
    New Orleans, LA
    Full Name:
    Vladimir Zuzukin
    Maybe you can start one. You can talk to Tillman here on FChat about it. He has a register/database for 328's. Shouldn't be too much trouble to compile one for 308 GTS cars pre 1980, as that would only be 1978-1979. According to Bluemel's book there were 3219 carbed 308 GTS models produced. Figure about half of those are still around. This would be a good service as VIN's don't exist to track these cars.

9. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    If I remember right, the engine number is stamped on top of block on passenger side. I would expect an engine number around #650 for your car, can you check that? You may also be able to find an assembly number on your car. It tells directly how many cars of particular model version had been built so far. I don't know how to locate one on 308 GTS, but they usually chalked it on variety of parts.

See http://koti.welho.com/kpietil4/register for some lists of chassis numbers in s/n range 21399-34999. This might grow into a register for 308 GTS among other models. I just added your s/n.

Best wishes, Kare

10. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Your car was for sale in January, 1992, at Auto Palace in Pittsburgh, PA. Black with red interior, 42,000 miles. It was offered again in April, 1993.

It was for sale again in December, 2004, by Exoticars - also in Pittsburgh, PA. Black with red interior, major service done with belts, books and tools, excellent driver; 49,000 miles. It was offered again in January, 2005. That's all of the information the Ferrari Market Letter has, but maybe those two places have some more information on your car or know the previous owner(s) and could put you in contact with them...

11. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The short answer to question is "No".

By the 308 Series, chassis numbers and motor numbers were NOT matched, as in the early cars. NNO or Gerald can tell us if this was the first series like that or maybe the Dinos???

Anyway, the Heritage Certificate will confirm or deny the presence of the original components of the car against Factory Records.

I wonder about the case on one of my 308s, where the motor failed at 6K miles, and replaced under Warranty.

Will this count? Do they know? Does anyone really care?

Stay tuned....same channel....same usual suspects!

12. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The instructions you download for the Certificate show you where to look for the various stampings.

The frustrating part I've heard is that if you are rejected it's very hard to determine 'why?'

I guess I'll just settle for FNA getting my Rossa Ferrari magazine to the right house! The Hare Krishna's keep getting them.......

13. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Kare, have both mine? I know the colors are still original on both as I have Owner history on them

#22127 308GTB Yellow/black interior, Boxer trim
    #22641 308GTB Blue mettalic/cream interior, Boxer trim

Regards,
    Bubba

14. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    #14 308 GTB, Aug 19, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  15. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    #15 308 GTB, Aug 19, 2005
  16. docweed

docweed Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2004
    Morgantown,WV
    Full Name:
    Chuck Stewart
    Vladimir
    That's a good idea. I'll see if I can contact Tillman to see what he has done. It shouldn't be as extensive as some of the other models since it only covers 3 years. I'll check it out.

17. docweed

docweed Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2004
    Morgantown,WV
    Full Name:
    Chuck Stewart
    Kare
    Thanks for the info and placing my s/n in the register. BTW how did you add my number? Maybe a register with more info on 308 GTS would be of interest unless there are other registers elsewhere.

18. docweed

docweed Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2004
    Morgantown,WV
    Full Name:
    Chuck Stewart
    NNO
    Thanks for the info ...I'll have to check out the Ferrari Market Letter for myself. I was the guy that bought the car in Mar of 05 and they told me of two previous owner's. I got in touch with one and later the salesman told that he should not have given me that info because of the Privacy Act or something. Thanks again.

19. docweed

docweed Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2004
    Morgantown,WV
    Full Name:
    Chuck Stewart
    Big Tex: Thanks for the help ...the locations of the numbers in the Certificate application steered me in the right direction. I was afraid the tranny number was on the undercarrage. I don't have a lift so I'll get out the old car jack. It would be nice to have the Certificate but if any component part was changed I guess they won't grant one. Oh well I'll like my car anyway.

20. docweed

docweed Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2004
    Morgantown,WV
    Full Name:
    Chuck Stewart

Barry
    The pictures were exactly what I needed and BTW your car's undercarrage is so clean I'm embarrassed to look at mine.

21. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    #21 308 GTB, Aug 21, 2005
    Chuck,

Not much of my undercarriage is visible in these posts but perhaps you saw some other shots in other threads. I had a major service and replaced all suspension bushings last year, so all suspension parts were removed and cleaned up or repainted if necessary. When they were finished, it looked like a new car from underneath. I was impressed too.

As Big Tex said, filling out the questionaire for the Heritage Certificate can be a bit tricky. For my car, I listed the following in this format:

Serial Number: F106AB 19399
    Engine Number: F106A 01503
    Gearbox Number: F106AL 1426

Other entries are straightforward.

If you do everything correctly, the Owner's site sends you the Heritage Certificate in pdf format:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    A Heritage Certificate is a nice addition to any Ferrari's Ownership Documents, IMO.

As you noted, it doesn't diminish the driving experience ONE BIT if it is missing!!!! LOL!

That's a very good idea, Dr. W.........you are so smart! ;)

23. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The nice fitted luggage set would be better........are you listening, Santa?

Lessee, I'll need a Black set for the Art Car.....Lady Valeria will need a tan set .....darn, this'll be more than a 30K Service!

24. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Hey Bubba,

Sometimes I wonder!

But you're right, the certificate is a nice offering by the Owner's site and fun to have. It makes a nice present, framed, so Chuck you can drop the hint!

Barry

ps, Bubba..go back to the "little black plastic ovals" thread from last week. I left you a tip to keep that one GTB of yours from catching fire so often.

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?p=135137884

25. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Bubba, My car came with a copy of the Certificate of Origin from the Ferrari Factory. The original is kept on file at the authorized dealership where the car sold as new, in my car's case, Chinetti/Algar Enterprises. It's also nice to have as part of a car's documentation and tends to be a bit more accurate than the Heritage Certificate. I suspect that you can contact the dealership and ask for a copy.

I'll post a copy of mine tomorrow.

Barry