VIN question for 308 about to purchase.... | Page 3 | FerrariChat

VIN question for 308 about to purchase....

Discussion in '308/328' started by Plutonium, Jul 29, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    The sad/funny part of this is if it turns out to be a factory mistake somehow to many this will always be a car with a cloud over it even if it were the finest 308 on the planet....meanwhile over in vintage ferraris someone can find one piece of a frame with a chassis number and rebuild/fabricate the entire rest of the car and sell it for millions. The ferrari community is a strange place.

2. Plutonium

Plutonium Karting

Jul 29, 2020
    Full Name:
    1980 308 GTSi
    We had the car up on a lift the other day and I could not see anything indicating a frame cut/weld (I am far from any expert though). The car drove true, hands off the wheel at 60 mph, dead straight, no squeaks just smooth. The engine and tranny have been rebuilt as well by Ferrari Canada which I would guess they’d have noticed a welded frame or body warp/torquing if it had been put together from multiple cars.
    It just seems to be an interesting puzzle.

3. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    To add to the mystery, one might reasonably expect 33419 to bear a July 1980 manufactured date.

But the door tag shown for it in the earlier post no. 34 shows May 1980.

For comparison purposes, 33409 was made in July 1980 - see picture.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Certainly there were cars which were built not exactly in numerical order, but this 2 month variance is, at least, curious.

4. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
  5. Plutonium

Plutonium Karting

Jul 29, 2020
    Full Name:
    1980 308 GTSi
    The photo wasn’t very clear, that’s why I zoomed into the last 5 digits as well, but it is stamped as July, just hard to read. That would have been a whole other kettle of fish, but actually maybe cleaner as it would have strongly suggested that the door and column VINs would be fraudulent. But alas no, the door tag does say July.

6. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    My ex 308 was 31311. Allegedly the second US spec injected chassis. I don't have a pic of the door plate but from memory mine said march 1980.

After being here many years and reading bits and pieces of similar threads about VIN's and build dates it seems that during that time (change from carbed/injected) and US vs Euro spec chassis numbers and build sequencing during that time was less than clearly linear.

7. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    I think it's 1 in 50 chance. Not great odds, but not a lottery ticket either.

8. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    "... it seems incredible that internal quality control allowed such a mistake to pass." Maybe I was unlucky with my car but I found several quality issues that were from the factory. It happens more often than you'd expect. The Jaguar world is full of these kinds of stories with digits reversed etc. Stamping was a low-level job and given to apprentices.

Albert-LP likes this.
  9. TripleBlack

TripleBlack Formula Junior

May 1, 2006
    Paris, France
    I agree with you in parts, there were a lot of those who were taken from various stock so from time to time, you could have a long period covering the changes.
    But for chassis number, it is the first time I see that kind of error. It is going to be hard to make them admit that by the factory, that will be interesting to ear the feedback....
    I hope this will be that far because very often, people doesn't do it because of the fee asked by Classiche.

10. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Typic al Ferrari....I did buy a door gasket for mondial QV and received it :
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

When putting it on the car...turned out the complet closed rubber ring whas turned 360 degrees, so I hat to cut in 1 corner and put the rubber right.. Quality control in Ferrari plant : zero.

11. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    These are all great side bar discussions, Months, dates, VIN sequencing (discussed extensively many times before) ill fitting parts.

We are trying to sort ONE car with ONE problem.
    I hope he buys it...

At this point the odds of a theft hidden so many years ago everyone involved is dead....

I also love all of you expecting the Factory to confirm anything, on the 70s -80s production.
    Not going to happen......

12. JuLiTrO

JuLiTrO Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2017
    Full Name:
    Julio Saiz
    Having engine and transmission numbers will help a bit more

Then ask a Ferrari Classique dealer for a quick check in the database

You just need to find a nice one to do it for free

And yes thats possible

13. bradyward

bradyward Rookie

Nov 7, 2007
    NH
    Full Name:
    Brady Ward
    What are the odds that over the life of this 40 year old car no one else has ever noticed or documented the error?

14. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    They probably did.

15. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Probably unlikely, but not without (recent) precedent and might depend upon who was doing the asking. If you were putting the car in for Classiche then they would surely resolve it because they'd want the money. Although I wouldn't like to bet on what their resolution might be.

16. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    wheres the guru of vin numbers carbon?

17. Plutonium

Plutonium Karting

Jul 29, 2020
    Full Name:
    1980 308 GTSi
    I’ve reached out to Carbon a few days back. Apparently 33819 has had a few reported changes in body colour and interior throughout the years though most recent report is as indicated here. Carbon indicated the sleuthing would continue and hopefully something more will come up.

Once again, thank you everyone for all your input in this matter. As I see it the explanation with the least numbers of “errors/mistakes” makes the most sense. Of course though, the story is not complete.

If the car is unadulterated and if 33819 is the “true” VIN then the factory would have messed up the check digit for the chassis as well as put the wrong column and door tags on.

If 33419 is the “true” VIN then the chassis was stamped wrong at the 15th spot and was not “noticed” or reported for 40 years.

If it is something less than legal or a complete legal rebuild from two different cars then that’s a wild fluke that the two cars were exactly off by 400 AND the frame check digit was wrong, or the “fake/illegal“ car had all this effort done to it but they couldn’t match the VINs and still had a chassis check digit mistake.

It seems most likely that is was a simple stamping error at the factory putting an 8 on the chassis when it should have been a 4.
    Interesting mystery and thank you for all the help. I’ll update if I hear anything back from Carbon.

Cheers

18. Amalfitano

Amalfitano Rookie

May 4, 2020
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fausto Tersigni
    I seem to recall watching a youtube video on 1980s ferrari factory painting etc where they specifically mentioned that they don't have "matching numbers" that xxxxxx chasis went with xxxxxx and these items were noted during the production process....
    not sure if it's in this video but search old ferrari factory production process etc....i only remember because growing up i had a couple of old corvettes and it was really important to have 'matching numbers" and was surprised when i watched the video on ferrari that they don't have the same process.

19. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    yep thats my vote

20. victorg

victorg Rookie

May 2, 2017
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Victor Gonzalez
    stay away

21. Plutonium

Plutonium Karting

Jul 29, 2020
    Full Name:
    1980 308 GTSi
  22. TripleBlack

May 1, 2006
    Paris, France
    Great!
    Remember that if you have the car now, with body and engine number, you could have an other estimate if it is the 419 or 819.
    Let us know them, I can cross checked.

23. Plutonium

Plutonium Karting

Jul 29, 2020
    Full Name:
    1980 308 GTSi
    Looks like it’s 00579

24. TripleBlack

May 1, 2006
    Paris, France
    I guess it is the engine number. it is definitely the range of the end of july 80 prod.
    Do you have the body number to confirm ?

25. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    You know.....I have given it some thought...

And I'm glad you bought it, hopefully at "considered value" over this anomaly..

And I would urge you to gently try to sort it.

But, were it I, go with the VIN number as refelcted in the paperwork trail, and the odds of anyone ELSE even noting it, are very small.
    These cars have aged to the point they are excitment at the store", but I'm not sure anyone would get very excited about this..

UNLESS it points to a theft, the one exception...and if the Mafia was taking one, it would not be an '81, GTS!!
    :D :D :D