Vintage (1958 250GT TDF) seat belt installation | FerrariChat

Vintage (1958 250GT TDF) seat belt installation

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by M3Eater, Dec 13, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. M3Eater

M3Eater Rookie

Dec 8, 2022
    Full Name:
    Gordon Arnold
    We have a 1958 250GT LWB TDF that has no seat belts installed. The owner wishes to install some belts as a proper safety measure for pleasure driving (no track). I have thoughts on how I would do this, but does anybody have a favorite mounting solution and/or a favorite belt setup, for this generation?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #0895 GT?

3. M3Eater

M3Eater Rookie

Dec 8, 2022
    Full Name:
    Gordon Arnold

miurasv likes this.
  4. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Thanks. A beauty. Ex Harrah.

5. M3Eater

M3Eater Rookie

Dec 8, 2022
    Full Name:
    Gordon Arnold
    A beauty, it is, indeed.

6. BIRA

BIRA Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2007

Technically always possible the question is how safe is the installation.
    As a classic racer , the safest is a harness fixed on solid points ( most likely roll bar itself fixed on solid points) and then you drive with an FIA approved seat and a HANS. That the extreme and safest and likely over the top for normal use but very protective even at 50mph crash.
    The other extreme is nothing and in prewar car even racing happens very often ( including Le Mans and MM). Did also several MM with my 500MD and no seat belt at all).Indeed dangerous but you are aware of risks.
    Anything in between of course is more security but in some cases false security as people may drive faster or feel more comfortable because they are used to wear a seatbelt in every days car.
    Problem is whiplash if you don’t have headrest and an effective seatbelt hence the need for FIA seats or an effective headrest.
    Alternatively you can add a period or repro lap belt fixed on right anchor points which may require some or no reinforcement ( I have one on my Gullwing) which gives little but some protection and make you feel better.
    Hope it helps.

M3Eater, Edward 96GTS and readplays like this.
  7. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    +1
    Very good points.

More often than not, basic lap or even ad hoc mounted 3- or 4-point belts on otherwise “stock” configuration vintage, let alone minimalistic road cars like TdF, etc will provide fairly low safety while lulling drivers/passengers to a false sense of security and perhaps causing them to drive more aggressively.

OTOH, if lap belts are chosen and no clearly good/strong attachments points are available on the floor or nearby structures, I’ve mounted some, depending on vehicles, either on the seat frames (if strong enough) or between seat track mounting point and the floor (and if needed or possible, I’ve added extra bracing under the floor in the manner that is minimally invasive and easily reversible).

M3Eater and readplays like this.
  8. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    I install seat belts in these old cars all the time, knowing full well the only thing I am doing is making it easier for the ambulance attendants to find the bodies.

9. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    You gave me good chuckle, Dyke.

readplays likes this.
  10. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    As I recall, that was at the German Grand Prix at Avus in 1959 and Hans Herrmann actually walked away pretty shaken, but unhurt.

11. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Funny you should point that out as I've said similar things about them to some clients and friends.
    Kind of like one of my lifelong friends, who used to be a locksmith (now retired) and always pointed out the fact that "locks, in general, are mainly intended to give people false sense of security".

turbo-joe likes this.
  12. M3Eater

M3Eater Rookie

Dec 8, 2022
    Full Name:
    Gordon Arnold
  13. M3Eater

M3Eater Rookie

Dec 8, 2022
    Full Name:
    Gordon Arnold
    How did that quote used to go? "I'm much safer being thrown clear ...."

mcimino likes this.
  14. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Happy he lived through that. Those guys were built different. Funny enough, Herrmann is tattooed on my arm (albeit in the #32 RSK from LeMans)

15. loflyer47

loflyer47 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2004
    Phila. area, Pa.
    Full Name:
    Ben
    PM ME AND WE CAN DISCUSS THIS.. I own #1127GT, 1958 TDF…(which I bought in 1978) AND STILL HAS THE ORIGINAL SEAT BELTS INSTALLED…
    CAN HELP YOU.

M3Eater likes this.