Vintage factory pics! | Page 7 | FerrariChat

Vintage factory pics!

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by AFMBR, Aug 21, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    You're right. I see a couple of other differences too.

2. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
    Cool factory pic here :

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/vtsAAOSwRLZT6lMg/$_57.JPG

3. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    That is an official Maranello postcard which can still be found on certain newsstands in and around Maranello today.

Marcel Massini

4. AFMBR

AFMBR Karting

Jul 14, 2014
    Canada, eh
    That is cool.

5. bellabarbas

bellabarbas Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2008
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Corrado
    #155 bellabarbas, Sep 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
    Great pic bellabarbas!

7. Christian.Fr

Christian.Fr Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    #157 Christian.Fr, Sep 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. Enigma Racing

Enigma Racing Formula 3

Jun 1, 2008
    London
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Interesting to see a Berlinetta and a PF Coupe on the same production line was this always the case ?

I thought the competition cars had their own production line as the running gear differed to the road cars

9. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    Enigma: Berlinettas were not considered "competition" cars by the factory. Only the sports racers and the formula cars were constructed in the competition department.

10. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    The pic at 157 brings back fond memories. In 1966 I had picked up a 250GT Cabriolet in Rome and was touring the continent. I pulled up to that signal and put my left-turn blinker on, and, sure enough, a guard opened the gate for me. I parked over on the right and entered the building through the door on the corner, where I announced myself, saying I was the president of the FOC, USA. I had not even called ahead; just showed up. Pretty soon this nice gentleman came out, said his name was Franco Gozzi, and proceeded to show me around. We ended up meeting the boss himself, for which I was totally unprepared. Those were different times, indeed!

11. omd78

omd78 F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2005
    Breda, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Martin
    What a story!

Gr. Martin

12. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Ed, when is the book coming out with your life & ferrari stories? :D

13. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
    No joke, I'd buy it.

14. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    Thanks for the kind remarks, but I think all the tales have already been told, here and in club publications. Anyway, no publisher will take on a book which has about 32 1/2 buyers.

15. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    BANNED Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Include pictures and you will surely get 50 buyers!

16. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    Ed, with all due respect, I think you underestimate the great thirst that I believe exists for the real-deal, first-person stories of the early days of Ferrari in the US. Over a dozen years ago, I did a road trip to a show w/ my dad, Dick Merritt and Kendall Merritt. I wish I had had a recorder because the tales from my Dad and Dick about the famous and the infamous from back in the day were amazing, funny, etc. (although Dick says he won't re-tell some of those stories until certain people are dead!).

I bet Pete Vack would publish what you have!

I will ask my dad whether he took any pictures of his first Factory visit in 1961.

17. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
    Surely someone would publish it. These days you can write, edit, and publish to an ebook all yourself from a laptop and while not as desirable for a collectible as paper I'd still buy one. :)

Bryan, that sounds awesome! I totally agree that there is massive curiosity about the "good old days."

18. lancia

lancia Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Ed,

Yes, different times. In 1978, I had saved for a vacation to go to the Italian Grand Prix at Monza, a young fellow then, on a low-budget enthusiast's adventure. Months before I wrote a letter to Ferrari in Italy asking if I could visit, offering a specific day I could be nearby. No reply. Once in Italy, I travelled to Bologna and decided, well, I’ll try calling. So I telephoned the factory from my hotel with no idea how this would play out. I explained to the person who answered (who spoke some English) about my letter. Next, I am speaking with Franco Gozzi: “yes, we received your letter, we are expecting you, do come tomorrow”. I’m really excited.

I am at the train station at the crack of dawn to go to Modena. Small problem, the terrorist Red Brigade had exploded a bomb on the tracks outside Bologna; through the chaos I do get to Modena, late. Now I have no sense how far Maranello is from Modena (some 20 km), and I can’t understand the buses. So I get a taxi, taking a chance on the expense. I barely had enough money to pay the man and still get back, as it was a much longer ride than expected. The road from Modena leading to the Abetone was much different than today – rural, farms, not all built up – and we kept going and going while I counted my lire in panic.

Finally I arrived at the factory gate, two hours late. Short wait in reception (a 312T on display, if vague memory serves), Mr. Gozzi came out to greet me; he was very pleasant, understanding about the delay, heard about the bombing, not to worry. He introduced me to a sales director (regret I forgot his name), though I had no means to buy a new Ferrari! The sales director was very welcoming, asked me what I did. I said I am an architect. From that point he referred to me graciously by title “Architetto”. A very, very fond memory - I was astonished by that courtesy, no one has EVER greeted me that way since!! He gave a tour of the production area, with a gift of a poster at the end. Elated, I got a taxi back to Modena, with just a few coins left in my pocket, desperate to find a bank to cash a traveler’s check.

In Milan, I met a gentleman at the bus stop also going to Monza for practice. Once held as a prisoner of war in the US during WWII, he spoke a little English and we managed a friendly chat on the bus. We watched first practice together before parting. For years after we exchanged Christmas greetings by card. As for the race? Fans on high, scary, home-built scaffolds, hanging from the trees for a view, chanting “Ferrari”. Spent lots of time watching the lightning run up into Parabolica – Alfa flat 12’s, Ferrari 12’s, Matras (none of this stifled V-6 turbo stuff). Walked the old banking. Mario won the championship; the newspapers were filled with headlines about Ronnie Peterson next day. You did not need a translator to know he was gone.

Chris

19. ferrarip4

ferrarip4 Formula 3

May 8, 2008
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Chanh Lê Huy
  20. AFMBR

AFMBR Karting

Jul 14, 2014
    Canada, eh
  21. Vincent Vangool

Vincent Vangool Formula 3

Oct 6, 2007
    Zanskar, Kargil district, Ladakh, India
    Full Name:
    Vincent Vangool
    I'd buy it.

Would be nice to have the legend all in one place.

22. Jumprun

Jumprun Karting

Feb 7, 2012
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    T. Martinez
    Yes a nice find. Take a close look at the picture of the chassis frame that is upside down, it appears to have an engine block, heads and exhaust headers mounted in it, I guess to locate the motor mounts or maybe as an inspection tool to make sure the motor mounts are indeed where they should be. Notice it has the bearing caps and studs attached, maybe because they would just grab an engine off the line to do the check then throw it back into the parts bin when done!

23. Lowell

Lowell Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 17, 2005
    Santa Fe, NM
    Full Name:
    Lowell Brown
    I'll buy two!

24. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Chris and Ed, thanks for sharing your memories. How lucky to have had that chance.

When you were touring the factory, I was in a small town in the Midwest. By that time I had read just about everything written on Ferrari and seen every Ferrari picture on print. The only thing I had yet to do was to see one in person. Just about everything I had read up to that point exalted the sound of the V12, so imagine my hunger for that sound. Finally, it happened and it wasn't just a single-car encounter, it was a deluge. It was August 1984, Laguna Seca, the YEAR OF FERRARI! I had never been so over-revved emotionally. I crashed that night like I had been on speed for days.

john

25. Enigma Racing

Enigma Racing Formula 3

Jun 1, 2008
    London
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Thanks. Do you know when the single production line was expanded and how production was organised as the model range expanded ?

I recall from a visit in the 80's they had separate lines for V8 and V12 models and one for the "specials"