Vintage Ferrari Banner | FerrariChat

Vintage Ferrari Banner

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by ferraribanner, Nov 20, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferraribanner

ferraribanner Rookie

Nov 20, 2018
    Full Name:
    Brent Virgil Christensen
    #1 ferraribanner, Nov 20, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2018
    Hey guys, new here. I really like Ferraris however I'll probably never own one, because of cost. I do have a vintage Ferrari banner in my collection I'd like more info on. Age, who made it ect. It feels old with the stiff feel of the cloth and tassels. I'd guess it's 1950's or 60's, maybe 70's. I have others in my collection like this (although not Ferrari). It measures approx. 45"X45". Wood dowel with wood caps on the end, hung by a yellow/ gold string with tassels. Bottom is also yellow/gold with fringes. Background is a yellow (maybe aged white) satin like cloth. The famous Ferrari emblem with rearing stallion in the center, with small black head shots of the horse at the corners. Condition is nice with no rips, but has some staining, and some of the ink is cracking. I've searched the internet for info with no luck.

I hope someone can help me on this.

Thank you,
    Brent

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    It's definitely not factory issue.

3. ferraribanner

ferraribanner Rookie

Nov 20, 2018
    Full Name:
    Brent Virgil Christensen
    I noticed the dot above the I is not separate. And the horse is not well detailed. Is this the reason it’s not factory issue? Or something else? It’s definitely old. Do you think maybe a dealer had it made, or maybe an individual had it made? What’s your thoughts on this?

4. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Before the modern iron clad rules, a dealer of multiple marques might well have had banners made for showroom use locally, the fact you say you have "others" indicates that might be the case??

If you have some other marques that "match" this one, post them up!
    And welcome!

Someone may well recognize, or we could think of what dealer might have handled all the other marques.
    As noted it's "close" but lacks the detail of a Factory piece, still VERY cool and hopefully we can find an old photo or clue from the others??

Dincenzo likes this.
  5. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The Cavallino Rampante, prancing horse has matured over time also.

That looks to my eye to be a very early one, but it could have been the source artwork used....
    That part gets tricky!

6. ferraribanner

ferraribanner Rookie

Nov 20, 2018
    Full Name:
    Brent Virgil Christensen
    Thanks bigtex!
    The other banners I have are a 1947 Chevrolet and a Dunlap tire, same vintage. Unfortunately These banners came from different sources, so that won’t help much. All are similar in fabric and ink. Although the Ferrari banner ink is thicker, and has more colors.
    It has nice sharp lines with no defects, lack of detail of course. Perhaps it was made for an event?
    The 80yr. something guy I bought it from was kind of an eccentric. He said it was old, when I asked where he got it, all he said “came from a family from the old country “ whatever that’s supposed to mean. I can post more pictures if it would help. I collect automotive, gas and oil items, like signs, oil cans ect. Thought this would look good in the collection. This is the first vintage Ferrari anything I’ve come across.