Vintage go kart racing questions; karts of early 1960s | FerrariChat

Vintage go kart racing questions; karts of early 1960s

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by dwhite, Aug 5, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Not really sure where to post this. Is anyone involved in this. I'm talking about older karts from the early 60s.

I've been thinking about getting into this and was curious if there is any info someone can share. Always enjoyed go karting, but don't want to be doing much over 60mph flat out in a kart.

Thanks and if it's in the wrong section, please move it.

2. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    You're in the right section (I think) but the question is a bit vague.

You want to take part in go-karting events in a 60's vintage kart?

I may be mistaken, but due to liability issues go-karting venues may only host karts that
    are up to date with regard to safety features, etc. Otherwise, they're on the hook if, for
    example, a non-compliant kart were to get on the track and some incident happens.

Now, if you have your own private track then by all means have a go at it. But, even
    now, is there really any demand for 60's era go-karts? My recollections of those days
    are basically thin metal frames with lawn mower engine and very little in the way of
    brakes/handling.

BHW

3. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    https://vkakarting.com/

they have a few events in Florida.

might want to contact the Florida karting tracks directly to see what they have as well.

4. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    vkakarting is a great place to start. I will say that unless you have a particular affinity to 60's era karts they really are the worst of everything. Really flimsy with almost no driver protection, anemic engines and drive trains, and not much to look at. Karting really came of age in the 80's and 90's where tire and engine technology came to the fore and with lots of interesting manufacturers making truly beautiful karts. I keep a mid 90's Tony Kart Esprit Formula A with a Parilla rotary valve 100cc direct drive engine. Formula A (and Super A) were the epitome of the air cooled karting era and have a cult like following among those in the know.

Yes I know you want to go a little slower but once you experience a 20,000rpm 100cc screamer it is hard to ever drive anything else. 125cc shifter karts may have more power but they are fat toads compared to the light and nimble direct drive machines.

GuyIncognito and JV's89 like this.
  5. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    dwhite likes this.
  6. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Sounds like a lot of cheap fun.:cool:

7. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    You would be safer in a modern kart going 60+ mph than in a vintage kart going slower.

Check out Briggs lo206 racing, it's the fastest growing series in karting. Four cycle racing (affordable) that's extremely competitive and fast enough to be entertaining - around 50MPH. I'm 55 and have raced everything between 125 TAG, to Briggs, and I think the Briggs racing has been the most fun.

A little shameless bragging; two seasons ago I finished 23rd out of 2200+ competitors in NA. Briggs sent me a free pressure washer.

I may have it bronzed!

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  8. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Nembo1777 and JV's89 like this.
  9. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    I know, but you have no idea how long I've waited for an excuse to bring up Briggs racing and do a little bragging!:p

And thanks!

dwhite likes this.
  10. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Ha ! My old B&S flatty could beat that !

Trouble is, the vintage kart guys mostly don't like to see 4 strokes for some reason. But there are a couple of tracks where you can run them.

JV's89 and dwhite like this.
  11. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    You're correct about the technicals, but there is vintage kart racing, and it's getting more popular all the time. A lot of young people are getting into it too. And some like the old karts better.

Vintage karts have a very narrow track, but the tires never had much grip, so you slide around the corners. Don't really use the brakes much, just lift off and let the kart slide. If you were to put modern tires on a vintage kart it would flip over.

12. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Thanks for all the responses. I know there are way better karts and they are indeed much less expensive. It probably is a case of wanting what I could not have when I was young. Had a Stellar mini bike, but not a go kart(no real place to drive it).

I'm reading about this racing and speaking with a few folks who raced karts seriously. Guy who did the PPI on my Boxer was a champ, said he was clocked doing 159 in a shifter kart at Road Atlanta before they changed the downhill-front straight configuation. To me that is insane.

Found a gent, who is now 80 years old and full of life. He has the original plans to the early rupp karts. Said he would make me a frame.

JV's89 likes this.
  13. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    You can find original vintage karts on ebay, and craigslist. They're usually cheaper on craigslist. A lot of times, the owner doesn't know what they have. Then you get a complete cart with spindles, hubs, controls etc. As long as it's not bent. Easy to restore and repaint.

This is a nice one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Go-Kart/154030121686?hash=item23dce922d6:g:VjsAAOSw1QNe~PyM

14. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

#14 dwhite, Aug 6, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
    Yeah, I followed a mac R1 which sold for $2,225 two days ago. Almost bought it, but I'm still looking at the whole thing. I just have certain concerns about buying some of these site unseen. It has been mentioned and I've read the tubes can crack and obviously can get bent. Don't want a kart which is not straight. Would want to possibly get one from someone getting out or build my own, besides it will give me more of an understanding of the set up/tuning process.

Will probably be attending an event this Nov in GA. Lots of folks with years of experience and I can get some intros from someone I know.

15. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    That sounds like a good plan !

16. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    might want to contact Margay, they support vintage karts. I was in their shop a few years ago and they mentioned the growing parts of restoration side of their business to support vintage karting, so at least they are servicing that market.

https://www.margay.com/vintage.html