Vintage Italian for my garage. Ghibli???? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Vintage Italian for my garage. Ghibli????

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by ferrariguyma, Jan 20, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    You guys are more than welcome to add to the list. Like I said half of the fun is going thru' all of the possible combinations of cars. I love the 2600Sprint but there are unfortunately not many nice ones left. I had a look at one recently, but it had very dodgy panel fit.

2. Kevallino

Kevallino Formula 3

Feb 10, 2004
    Mid-Ohio
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I will cast another vote for that Islero. I don't follow the Ghibli market super close but that price for that color seems pretty eye-watering to me.

Where is that blue Espada??? That would slot right in to my collection and give me the four seats my other cars don't have....

Cheers
    Kevin

3. icars

icars Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2002
    Plano Texas
    Full Name:
    Rodney Haas
    Just make sure you sit in the car you are looking at for some time. The Mistral for instance is quite tight unless you are small. The Sebring is only slightly better.

The 3500GT is classic and can be purchased fairly reasonably. The Ghibli is one of the best looking cars ever built. I originally purchased the Indy because the Ghibli was just too tight a fit.

4. Daryl

Daryl Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Barrington Hills, IL
    Full Name:
    Daryl Adams
    These are solid suggestions Andrew. The Mangusta in the photo Murph posted is mine. I love the thing. I also have a Series I Espada, and it's been great fun as well. The key, of course, is getting a good car. In each case I spent over a year looking. Interestingly, I have a 308GT4 I'm selling now so that I can begin looking for a.........Ghibli.

5. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
  6. eurperules

eurperules Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2005
    belgium
    Full Name:
    stijn quintyn
    far less expensive, but nice are the lancia cars.
    anything from a fulvia 1.6 hf, to a flavia coupe or even flaminia

nice cars for little cash

7. scorpion

scorpion Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2004
    Kentucky
    The Ghibli has always been way undervalued. A direct competitor to the Daytona for a fraction of the price. While the color of the one at Motorcar Gallery isn't my favorite - it isn't like Maserati's have to be red like F cars. Also, Motorcar Gallery seems to have a pretty good reputation for an exotic dealer - especially for one in south Florida. Actually I hope the Ghibli and the Islero don't sell too soon as I will be visiting Ft Lauderdale in a couple of weeks and always stop by to check out MGs inventory.

8. Murph

Murph Formula 3

Apr 26, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #33 Murph, Feb 4, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #34 synchro, Feb 15, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Yes, Ivan's Bora
    http://www.thecarnut.com/Bora77red1010.html
    is nice and original but at almost $60k it seems a bit high.

Want to buy a nice Bora for $40K AND it is the more desireable Euro version?
    http://www.geocities.com/a1coin/

Blue Sera (evening blue) exterior with tan/cream interior, 47Km (Euro) on the clock.
    Well sorted out, same owner almost 20 years, always used synthetics in engine/transmission (no leaks ever), pristine hydraulics that have been properly maintained since 1988 (when I went through the whole system then), front brakes redone by Stainless Steel brake co., Electronic ignition upgraded, starts EVERY time, no smoke, and purrs like a kitten.
    No issues.
    VERY desireable early FULL Euro version, NEVER any over temp'ing problems (No disastrous front hood vent), but 21 year old paint makes it a driver.

The Bora is quite easy to maintain, easy to find parts for and I've even put together a Parts Cross Reference list to facilitate finding substitutes. The electrical is all Bosch (Mercedes), Transmission is German ZF (ala Ford GT40, BMW M-1, and Pantera), and exclusivity of only 527 total production. Easily Maserati's most refined performance GT.

LOTS of spares, full books and tools
    The torgue'y V8 combined with the long legged, Euro 3.77, final drive ratio makes this a very nice car to drive but can get away from you and easily find yourself over 100mph without knowing it. Unfortunately the owner (me) has found the top speed of 240 Kph (Euro speedo) far too many times and several recent tickets make it my downfall.

Forget the Maserati Khamsin, the excessive amount of hydraulics makes previous ownership history critical and usually involve lot$ of work down the road.
    Maserati Ghiblis like to compare themselves with Ferrari Daytonas, but lets be real...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    I think the blue espada is the ex nick cage car, and I am not sure whether it is still available for sale...

11. yale

yale Formula Junior

May 2, 2004
    New York City
    By the way the islero has sold. Anyone ever owned a 60/70's lancia? I drove a Fulvia Zagato both 1300 and 1600. The esthetes like the 1300 4 speed more then the later 1600 5 but since I only drove them a short while the 1300 seemed a bit underpowered and the front wheel drive seemed heavy for steering...could of been that car which wasn't in great shape. Yale

12. icars

icars Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2002
    Plano Texas
    Full Name:
    Rodney Haas
  13. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Ended at nearly $30K

14. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    fwiw i like the ghibli, and i like that color. that is actually a very cool color now - burnt orange. i wud bid the guy 50k cash and see what he says.....

15. icars

icars Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2002
    Plano Texas
    Full Name:
    Rodney Haas
    Give it a shot, but I don't know how lucky you will be. As my friend Jaques pointed out Maserati GT prices are going up. It's not only because "Maserati is out there". A big reason for the price increase is the weakness of the dollar. Many of the collector Italian and British cars are going back to Europe.

16. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott

Isn't that a Indy not Ghibli for sale or where you referring to another car?
    My apologies if I got this wrong.

17. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    I think Ross was refering to the Ghibli here

http://www.motorcargallery.com/

rather than Rodney's Indy

18. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
  19. scorpion

scorpion Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2004
    Kentucky
    I saw the Ghibli that Motorcar Gallery has for sale a couple of weeks ago. As I was really looking at some of the F cars I didn't exactly do a close examination but on the surface it appears to be a very nice car. The people at Motorcar Gallery are also very upfront and willing to go over their cars with you - unlike some other dealers. The car is definately worth looking at if you are considering a Ghibli.

20. icars

icars Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2002
    Plano Texas
    Full Name:
    Rodney Haas
    I would second that Motorcar Gallery is great to deal with. They are a class act. I purchased my 365 GT4 2+2 from them a few years ago.

What's funny is I received a call from Ed a few days ago. He had heard that my Ferrari was for sale and wants to buy it back. After my success selling the Indy, I am opting to stick the Ferrari on ebay.

21. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott

bump

22. Carson_Kitt

Carson_Kitt Karting

May 1, 2004
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    Scott-

I sent you an email about your car.

My email address is: [email protected]

Best,

Vincent

23. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Thank you for the message.

email replied to - my blue Maserati Bora on the previous page photo is still available.

24. dbcooper

dbcooper Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2005
    Costa Mesa,Ca.
    Full Name:
    Tim Romero
    I know that these are a bit more expensive than the cars suggested so far,But the cars for me are the 350 and/or 400 Gt Lamborghini's.They are sleek,fast and quite reliable(if cared for and not run into the ground)They are so COOL!
    ya gotta love em! I do!