Vintage racing destroying Ferraris??? | FerrariChat

Vintage racing destroying Ferraris???

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Horsefly, Feb 14, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    As an offshoot of the Ralph Lauren collection thread, I made statements indicating that vintage racing does a pretty good job of destroying cars much like airshows destroy vintage aircraft. Many may disagree, but it only took me 5 minutes on one website to discover numerous photos of horribly mangled Ferraris at vintage events. Are there other photos on the web that can document my analogy? Do these vintage racing events actually help preserve vintage autos, or do they put them needlessly in danger many years after their prime as disposable playthings for the wealthy? "Oops, I totaled my 275GTB. Guess I'll have to buy another." How many other vintage Ferraris have met the grim reaper? And I'm not asking for the sake of photos of carnage, I'm just wondering if vintage racing is helping to deplete the herd. As with any finite quantity, each one lost is another dent in the population. Looks like it wouldn't be too hard to have a 2 hour DVD of mangled vintage Ferraris after all.

http://www.wreckedexotics.com/daytona/daytona_20040205_001.shtml

http://www.wreckedexotics.com/gto/gto_060802_01.shtml

http://www.wreckedexotics.com/gto/gto_060102_02.shtml

http://www.wreckedexotics.com/250/250_071902_01.shtml

http://www.wreckedexotics.com/250/250_20030505_005.shtml

http://www.wreckedexotics.com/275/275GTB_20040205_003.shtml

2. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Likelihood is significant majority are in European races. From what I've read, competitors like the equivalent of "Eskimo kisses" (rubbing noses) & show no regard for property. Good reason some US'n's won't participate in many of those events.

3. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    All of those cars either have been or will be repaired. None of them are totalled. They are racecars. In racing, things get bent. Some owners dont like this, thus not all old racecars are actually raced today. But some owners prefer the cars to live on in their natural habitat.... thus they get raced, bent, repaired, repeat. So what.

Its fun to race them. The owners have the funds to fix them. The public likes to watch them race. Everyone is happy. Everyone but Arlie that is..... but does anyone actually think Arlie is ever going to really be happy? ;)

Terry

4. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Ditto that. All of that.

5. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    "From dust you came......to dust you will return..........."

:)

6. atheyg

atheyg Guest

From the racing I saw at Monterey this year most of the vintage Ferraris were not pushing that hard, the guys in the old Porsche 356s were hanging it out every corner, banging fenders, sliding all over and spinning out, they were pushing hard.

7. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    The way i look at it is that if a car was crashed and repaired when it was in its prime, why not now? Sure, it'll cost more but i for one hate how pebble only allow spotless cars that look better than they did when they left the factory so i would never buy a car to show it. If i buy a $10 million car, i'd want to get my $10mil out of it.

Just my .02

8. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

Like Napolis said ditto that.

But I will also add that the vintage racing craze is exactly what has made many, many of those cars interesting and valuable enough so that they have been dragged out of barns and garages, restored and driven for the enjoyment of all.

When Phil Hill drove the W196S in Monterey some years ago he asked the representative from Mercedes for the limitations he was to observe in driving the car. I was standing there and I dont recall it verbatim but it was something to the effect of "Keep it under redline. We hand built it, if it breaks we will hand fix it".

9. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    They don't exactly get better by being banged into pieces. Their natural habitat is long gone; vintage cars were built to race in their own time. Today they - like any old car - are museum pieces with no real purpose and there is no single truth about how they should be kept. Trying to find one quickly just leads into another pissing contest.

Best wishes, Kare

10. davidgoerndt

davidgoerndt Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    David Goerndt
    I was under the impression that any touching was a no no, accidental or on purpose, the competitor is asked to leave. Can anyone confirm this. Goodwood on the other hand looked like racing near the limit with some cars suffering damage. Regarding the original question of this thread, these are race cars from a bygone era and most have never seen this type of car race. The vintage races give those who were either too young or in the wrong place geographically, to see these cars do what they were designed to do, run hard. In the day, these cars were throw aways, today they are the crown jewels! Listening to a 12 cylinder Ferrari engine near red line is an awesome sound.

David Goerndt

11. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    Strange that when a road driven 250 or 330 gets a crunched front end or an engine fire, the tired old mantra hits the air: "Not economically feasible to repair. Part it out". But according to Terry, when it comes to vintage racers, "All of those cars either have been or will be repaired. None of them are totalled. They are racecars."

Why tis nobler to rebuild a racer than restore a road car? Does not thy road Ferrari deserve a second life as well? The racers don't care about the economics of a rebuild. So why do the restorers? (And don't say that most race cars are just shells filled with roll cages. Most of those vintage Ferraris seem to be near restos themselves.)

12. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    The thing about these vintage cars is that as long as you have the VIN# plaque Everything else can be rebuilt. There are still craftsmen who can beat aluminum panels & welding a 1950s frame is very easy today. Essentially as long as you have that VIN# plate the car can never really be destroyed & a car worth $5 or $10M can easily be 100% rebuilt for well under $500k

A secret of many of these vintage racers is that the original engine & trans is usually safe in a garage somewhere. Yes there are shops in Modena where you can buy a new "1957" Testa Rossa engine & trans built by the same men who built the originals or their sons.

So I wouldnt spend a lot of time up at night worrying. The guys who race these have already done the worrying & come up with solutions

13. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    So, if you don't even have the VIN tag, then you're pretty much driving a replica or fake? :)

14. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    Toys for the rich. Polo ponies don't come cheap either, and are equally difficult to repair or replace. Race cars were made to race.

Ken

15. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002

The answer to this has nothing to do with cars and everything to do with simple economics. I have no problem with the concept that all cars deserve to be restored, but when the end product is going to be worth $50K yet cost $200K to restore it becomes a question of economics. For many however this does not matter its an emotional thing. I have restored a number of cars from the ground up where the amount of $$$ put into them far exceeded their value when done. Then its about passion and not just money.

You like to seek out conflict and your beloved "double standard" so you can troll for arguements when in fact there is no conflict nor any "standard" at all.

Good luck with that.

Terry

16. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002

Well, I disagree. I am quite sure my Daytona does in fact still have a purpose. That purpose is making amazing noises while terrorizing the neighborhood and achieving speeds the local authorities would truely frown upon. It is 100% successful at this purpose!

Watch the Goodwood Revival. All the old cars and old drivers pushing it just as hard as they ever did. Just as good as 1965. Just as much fun. Isnt fun what the "Purpose" to it all really is when you get past all the bullsh_it?

Terry

17. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    I think it's time to applaude the owners who drive these racing beauties like they were meant to be raced. Even better when drivers like Hardman, Sytner or Mass get their hands on the wheel!

Sure, they get bend sometimes and it's sad when that happens, but it's inevitable if you want to see these cars on the limit - which for me is they only way, not collecting dust in some museum like Molsheim.

18. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    You got that right! I have enough money in my Europa for a Mondial 3.2 and it's been worth every penny in fun, education and excitement. (I assume if I HAD a 3.2 I'd have put enough money in it for a 348...and if I had a 348 I'd have ...oh never mind.)

Ken

19. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Not one of those cars looks like it's been destroyed to me. How about you?

And which of these cars to think was totalled and scrapped?

The grim reaper? Deplete the herd? Lost? Are you serious? Can you even provide one single example of a historically significant Ferrari being destroyed and scrapped as a result of a vintage racing incident within the last 20 years?

Someone mentioned grasping for straws in the other thread. This is obviously another example of exactly that.

Now you're wandering all over the place. Your original point was that they were risking important pieces of history. Have you already forgotten your own Spirit of St Louis analogy?

20. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    :) :) :) come on guys its " the" " car " Reaper. and my first name aint grim :) :) :)

( trying to relieve the tension growing in the thread .......)

21. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    I know it is politically correct to disagree with this point and state that racingcars are racingcars, no matter when they were built and raced 'professionally' but if I am truly honest, I suspect I wouldn't race a historic racingcar if I ever come to own one. I'd look upon it as a relic from history. Yes, something static. Something that once was, but isn't anymore. Kept clear from any sort of use or abuse. I know, it sounds horrible, so let's hope I never come to own one!

22. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    This car doesn't looked destroyed? http://www.wreckedexotics.com/275/275GTB_20040205_003.shtml

It looks 10 times worse than many wrecked cars that others have said were only good for the "King of the toasted ponies". A high price indeed to pay for an afternoon's worth of spectator pleasure. Scratch one more 275. (unless some future owner likes Ferraris that are guaranteed to be at least 60% original).

23. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    At the risk of the big flame, I am going to agree w/ the general premise of Arlie's first post.

I think it's fantastic that folks are spending big bucks and getting their vintage race Ferraris on the track. But I think, first and foremost, that such Owners should view their primary roles as custodians of irreplacable pieces of history.

If there is a 10-point continuum between, on the "1" end, keeping the car in a museum and, at the other "10" end, driving the crap out of it and trading paint as if it were a Miata spec racer, I would vote for being at about a 6.

I think it's great that the wealthier guys in the game can simply crash the crap out of the car and have it all re-sorted and ready to go a month later. On the other hand, the panel that Scaglietti beat with his hammer in 1957 is now gone, replaced by the panel made by the very qualified restorer (who probably did a nicer job).

I prefer the north american vintage race scene where the "cars are the stars" and are probably driven and kept close to the "6" on my scale as opposed to the euro scene where the cars are viewed in a less holy light and kept at an "8" to "9" level.

While I think it is cool to see the cars driven hard, the most disgusting thing I 've probably ever seen was Sir Stirling Moss taking the LeMans-winning Aston Martin up the inside, on the dirt, before the first turn of the first lap of Monterey, and put it right into the side of Old Yaller (3 or 4 years ago?). It wasn't cool; it was disrespectful (to the car) and dangerous - and if it had been anyone else, Steve Earle probably would've banned him for life and not just one year. If you want to drive like that, get yourself a new, and fungible, racecar and join SCCA. (not that SCCA would put up w/ that either)

There is no inconsistency with refusing to over-restore a vintage race Ferrari but also refusing to drive it as if you're trying to win the Mille Miglia. Ferrari was going to have another car ready for Fangio if he totalled one (and survived); but Ferrari isn't going to make anymore 860 Monzas. I would bet that most of us here would probably agree that the proper spot on the continuum would be between "6" and "8"? Ok, maybe Arlie is at "5"?

bottom line: drive 'em and respect 'em.

24. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Nope...not destroyed...bent but not destroyed.

I guess that's the GOOD thing about the 275's value, these days.....

25. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers

Is this last car (Ferrari 275 GTB/C) repaired again?