Vintage racing destroying Ferraris??? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Vintage racing destroying Ferraris???

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Horsefly, Feb 14, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. teterman2004

teterman2004 Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2005
    Eielson, Alaska
    Full Name:
    BriBud
    Couldn't disagree more. . . ! :)

Walking through the great art museums of Europe, New York, Mexico City, etc, I am reminded that certain objects have transcended their original "purpose" and have become something greater than themselves. These objects have become, in reality, "priceless".

How should we deal with "priceless" objects? We should collectively seek to preserve them, because they no longer should be "owned"; they are a public trust, they should be "cared for" and treated in a way that benefits us all.

None of this, of course, tells us HOW these priceless objects should be cared for, but simply that they MUST be cared for in a way that does not destroy their intrinsic nature. You and I may not agree about how to clean the ceiling of the sistine chapel, but we certainly would agree that the ceiling of the sistine chapel should never be destroyed or defaced, no matter how high the bid or how wealthy the bidder. . .

Have old Ferraris begun crossing over from being merely valuable to being "priceless"? Helluva question. . .

2. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    When major museums start showing up at major auctions and bid on cars, then they've entered the "priceless" category.

But there is a difference. What are the most valuable art items? Usually paintings, right? And having study art history in college (that's where all of the cute girls were), there were numerous examples where art was created as form of a p!ssing contest between rich patrons. People wanted to posses beautiful things. Nothing wrong with that. Art for the sake of art.

Now, which are the most "valuable" Ferraris? Old race cars. Cars that were meant to win races, not sit in some museum from day one. And the reasons they are valuable is that they were successful and they did manage to look good in the process.

The vast majority of Ferraris are in private hands. Now there may be established norms for how to maintain the value of the cars, or even increase it. But at the end of the day, somebody out there wanted a car to be theirs. They spent their money on it. Let them enjoy it.

3. teterman2004

Jan 15, 2005
    Eielson, Alaska
    Full Name:
    BriBud
    I agree and applaud that people who own valuable classic cars have "established norms" of how to maintain their cars. They know the essence of their property and stay true to that spirit, whether they race, display or restore. This would seem to reflect the idea that these cars are no longer "theirs" in the truest sense of the word, that by owning one, they owe a sort of duty to the rest of us to take care of them appropriately.

But to simply say that they bought it, they own it, they can do whatever the hell they want with it, scares the crap out of me. I personally think there is more to a ferrari than the vin plate under the dash. Could we all stand by and accept Bill Gates running a couple of 250LM's through the crusher?

Purposefully burning a Van Gogh in public would be a tragedy worth condemnation by the international community, not simply a "loss of property value" on the part of the owner. So too would it be with a couple of crushed LMs.

4. teterman2004

Jan 15, 2005
    Eielson, Alaska
    Full Name:
    BriBud
    . . .a couple of LM's crushed ON PURPOSE, of course.

I like racing around in vintage cars like anybody else, keeps the patina alive, but Fangio ain't racing the things anymore, so seeing richies flog the crap out of their cars (both in the garage and on the track) just so they can boast that they "beat Phil Hill's best time here", seems like a load of unnecessary crap.

5. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Why should that scare the crap out of you? It happens all of the time. You've obviously never heard of Walter Medlin before. As far as I'm concerned, live and let live.

Burning a Van Gogh would be a loss to our cultural fabric, but plenty of them have been lost already. Lots of our history is lost every day. Not much "society" can do unless there is arson involved.

Life is way too damn short to worry about what someone does with their cars.

6. teterman2004

Jan 15, 2005
    Eielson, Alaska
    Full Name:
    BriBud
    Certainly more than 1/2 of the ruins of ancient Rome have been lost to pillagers, both public and private, but that doesn't mean we all should just shrug, live and let live, when the other half is in danger of turning to rubble.

Regarding our cultural fabric (and we both obviously consider these cars to be part of it), I feel we have a duty to recognize the weave of the fabric, to learn how to care for it, and to teach others to see what we see. It's worth preserving. A statement like "lots of history is lost every day" can often lead down the inevitable road of "so who cares about preserving it?"

I certainly don't accuse you not caring, etc, but a vocal minority of individuals hollering loudly when it sees the abuse of international treasures and objects de art CAN make a difference.

7. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    #82 judge4re, Feb 16, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Then you should be horrified by this picture. I'm not.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. mroz

mroz Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    California
    #83 mroz, Feb 16, 2005
    The topic seems to be evolving into a philosophical discussion of Ferrari as art... So, here's my take:

Its only a matter of time that certain Ferrari's "transcend the automobile" and are viewed as fine sculpture. Specially the "one off" styling exercises by Pinin Farina of the early fifties. Some of the beautiful race cars will become objects of art and are now. But, there are few of these cars on the track and I think the great art objects will slowly disappear from aggressive vintage racing. Therefore, living on. Dont worry.
    Many vintage cars will keep racing because most will not rise to art.

From my point of view, there is no difference between the finest modern sculptures in museums and some great post war modern automobiles. We are a little to close in time to discern Italian automotive art as a collective group. But time will tell and views will develop. Looking at sculptures of dynamism by Bracusi (Bird in Space) and Umberto Boccioni, it's clear that there are fine Italian automobiles that stir the same emotions and interest. ( Dynamism was a movement with the intent to express motion in art -- early 1920s).
    The Italians were certainly on the leading edge of automotive styling in the fifties and were very passionate about the discoveries of the modern form. They tried to invent new forms by weaving combinations of technology, aerodynamics, movement, para -organic volumes, etc. A very rich period! Technology began to dominated the sixties, seventies and beyond. Today it seems, the computer has enable artists to begin styling again.
    Distance in time will sharpen views of what will transcend to art.

9. macca

macca Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2003

That's not how it works......there are a lot of ordinary guys, garage owners, ex-professional drivers and hired hands driving a lot of the cars - the thing all of them and the most of the rich owner-drivers [including the Aussie ones ;-) have in common is wanting to see cars driven as they were meant to be - and the fans appreciate this, even if we wince when one gets shunted.

When some car is being pedalled gently round in a 'no risk' or 'limited talent' way, we wonder what it would sound and look and smell like driven hard. And their hobby is racing, not demonstrating - they want to beat, or do their best against, whoever they are racing, not to be a 50-year old lap record which they all know is irrelevant.

Paul M

10. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    #85 Horsefly, Feb 16, 2005
    It just needed a good cleaning to reveal the real paintings.

11. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    The bottom line here is that, while they might be suffering damage and being repaired (mostly only in European events), there are absolutely no historically significant Ferraris being destroyed. So, to address the question in this threads title, the answer is "no."

12. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Agreed....you cannot do multi million dollar damage to a car..........big bucks certainly but otherwise not possible!

13. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    I guess, by the standards of the Ferrari world, that no car can ever be destroyed then. Even if 50% of the car is gone, which would mean "destroyed" in most normal strains of logic, the car is "repaired". Apparently in the Ferrari world, a "repaired" and "restored" car can consist of nothing off the original vehicle except the VIN tag or a small piece of tubing that contains the serial number stamping, even if that piece of tubing is now incorporated into a completely new chassis of recent manufacture. And some would have us believe that you don't even have to actually have the VIN tag or the frame stamping as long as the "evidence" alledgedly proves that it came from the original vehicle.
    I guess that this is all good for the Ferrari world because this would mean that no vehicle, no matter how rare, can ever be destroyed so long as one small scrap of the original can be incorporated into a restoration or "replicar".

14. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Like I stated before some of these wrecked "vintage" cars most likely have replica engines & trans Ive even heard of replica frames. So I think you guys can rest assured that the real deal is safe

15. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    William, yesterday I was browsing on the net and stumbled across a 250LM replica that was for sale on some site. (I'll try and find that site again.) It looked like a near perfect clone, and the description indicated that the chassis was made in Italy. So I guess that SOMEBODY has the diagrams for all the vintage cars and can recreate anything.

Update: Here's the link: http://www.carclassic.com/html/CV79.htm

16. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I know, I did the Car Guy tour a few years ago & this shop in Modena had retired Ferrari mechanics who will build you any replica engine you like. Ferrari, Maserati, whatever, any year,any model. For a small fee of course LOL

17. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    This hasn't yet happened so, no, vintage racing is not destroying Ferraris.

To my knowledge, no historically significant Ferrari has ever been destroyed in a vintage racing event to this point so, once again, the answer to your question is "no."

You're really grasping at something that just insn't there. Move on.

18. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    Like when a piece of wedding cake from the King of England's wedding in the 1800's transcends food and becomes art. Of course, Elaine ate it anyway, so it transformed from art back to food.

Elaine would race a million dollar Ferrari I guess.

Ken

19. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    Why do you guys persist in even argueing with Arlie? He does not even contest that his purpose is to troll.

DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Terry

20. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Terry,

Arlie is our personal, vintage section, troll. He's fun to argue with.

Art S.

21. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    You really know your classics!

:D

22. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    Glad to know that I serve a purpose. That's why I "moved on" and started this thread and took it away from the "Ralph Lauren collection" thread. I think that the whole topic is a touchy subject that hits a nerve among the vintage buffs. Either many of the cars in the vintage races probably have repro bodies and massively repaired chassis and, according to WilliamH, non original engines, or it's like another poster suggested, they're just rich guys with rich toys and it doesn't really matter if they squash the back end of their 275GTB like a bug. They can just pay the big bucks for a complete rebuild. So in effect, those racers aren't TOO worried about destroying historic artifacts because their cars are, to a large extent, reproductions anyway after numerous years of original and vintage racing events.

23. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Arlie,

It’s a vicious circle, the racers get wrecked; the 2+2's are then broken up to repair or reproduce them.

Regards,

Art S.

PS. if everyone agreed, the conversations in these threads would be boring.

24. mroz

mroz Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    California
    I see the cycle >>>

Is there such a thing as Ferrari car DNA???? Maybe funding is possible for a kind of stem cell research that would clone similar metallic structures of undesirable Ferrari's that could be used to grow donor parts for race cars or art cars that are crashed on the track? Any comments??

25. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Did you see the letter regarding that in Cavallino I wrote a few years ago?

:D