Vinyl wrap - 308 ? | FerrariChat

Vinyl wrap - 308 ?

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by djbono, Sep 10, 2020.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. djbono

djbono Rookie

May 6, 2018
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Lunettes Paysano
    (Sorry if this is a common, perpetual, common thread that always comes back and annoys - I did search but didn't find specific answers to my questions.)

I'm in the process of purchasing a beautiful, exquisite - que dis-je, absolutely stunning 1984 308 QV GTSi from a collectionneur and user on this chat. (If he reads this - he may very well want to end the transaction deal since this would be a disrespect to his italian mistress, but hey, let's live dangerously)

Why the wrap ? My reasons are twofold :
    I would like to preserve its absolutely pristine, showroom condition paint AND I'd like to have it Blue (dark blue, not tdf) - even to the risk of hurting an old Italian Nonna's feeling.

1. Is wrapping such a beautiful thing a good idea ?

2. Are there drawbacks / problems caused on original paint by a wrap (either by the glue or the application itself)

3. Is there a need to take the car appart as much as when you paint it ? I.e. - is this going to be almost as big an endeavour as repainting ?

4. Are there types / brands of vinyl , glue or other to either avoid, or prefer ?

5. $$ Wise - has anyone got experience on wrapping a 308 ? (I think I saw a mondial thread, pretty similar)

Thanks,
    Lunettes Paysano

2. 020147

020147 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2006
    Midwest
    Wraps are know to lift paint off when removed, and that’s on a modern two stage painted car, I would think single stage would be more fragile. I’d leave the car alone. If you really don’t like the color than I would find a different 308 more to your liking.

3. djbono

djbono Rookie

May 6, 2018
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Lunettes Paysano
    Thanks Ssgharkness020147 -
    Good insight, I figured there must have been a downside. I can't imagine my face peeling it off in xyz years and only to find paint chips coming along... Having said that I failed to mention originally, it's been repainted from prugna to silver around 10 years ago - will inquire about the amount of layers , but I think your comment & concern remains whole.

I may very well keep it grey

4. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven
    SmokyDave and miketuason like this.
  5. djbono

djbono Rookie

May 6, 2018
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Lunettes Paysano
    Wow! st@ven! That is indeed a looker... well, half of it is ;) Did you track it yourself ?

I just want to viriginally "keep myself" for the - "one day she'll be mine" - late year 456 GT TDF blue/tan combo. Did 308 ever come in TDF anyhow ?

Then again - in 2020, we should all be color blind...

6. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Yes i did. Once and totalled it the very same day

But that was years ago. She is in good shape now getting ready for the road quickly
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    There is no way i would put PPF on a classic such as a 308/328. You risk significant damage to it. Those cars should be in shows at every opportunity, they should by now have a slight patina, and they shouldn’t present in plastic wrap. My $.02.

8. djbono

djbono Rookie

May 6, 2018
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Lunettes Paysano
    Agreed -

These are beauties. But again, it got repainted from Prugna to silver 10 years ago, with 7 or 11 coats, can't remember.
    The current paint condition is stellar - that was my main reason to wrap it, so to conserve it's state... And close second was because I like blue.
    But... I don't want to deteriorate it, even less disrespect it's soul and its builders..
    Looks like I'll keep it grey. Im starting to doubt a wrap job can look as good as paint

9. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    I was a big proponent of PPF until I had to remove mine from my 360. :eek:

That learned me.

10. djbono

djbono Rookie

May 6, 2018
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Lunettes Paysano
    Alright, then that concludes this chapter ;)
    Thanks guys - I will not touch it's beautiful color/paint