Viper Anyone? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Viper Anyone?

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by venusone, Mar 27, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CAS

CAS F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Clint
    A Gen I GTS? LOL

2. CAS

CAS F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Clint
    Brad, nice write up. Are you Brad Manhattan Beach? If so, hi! It's weird to cross over on different boards, like Mike B, allan, etc.

3. CAS

CAS F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Clint
    Only talentless, uncalibrated meatheads make statements like "Vipers handle like sh**". It's not as easy or light as a Ferrari, but damned if it sticks, sticks, and then sticks some more, transitions hard, and turns in lightning quick. It doesn't like hamhandness, that's all.

4. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir

Don't push your luck Allan.

5. Viper 10

Viper 10 Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Brad Chang
    That would be me... I have pretty much downgraded my .org activities to being a lurker. I can't stand what the VCA has turned into. Are you Clint?

Good to see you over here.

Brad

6. ETW

ETW Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    How much horsepower are you looking to get out of it?

7. CAS

CAS F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Clint
    Yep, that's me. I think I've seen you post at ViperAlley too, although I'm not sure. I rarely visit the VCA site too - most of the old posters are gone now and have either moved to VA or don't post.

Take Care!

8. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    For now, 550-600rwhp.

9. Clax

Clax Formula 3

Oct 3, 2002
    A few years ago I test drove a new GTS model (I think it was a 2001).

Great power
    Odd driving position & ergonomics
    Fit & finish was quite poor
    Brakes were ok, but not that great
    Little skittish under acceleration
    Very "rough around the edges" feel to the car

Overall, it was a decent car, but it wasn't something that really felt right for me. If I was looking for a bang-for-your-buck car to mod and race, I'd take the Z06 over the Viper. The Z06 could excel in both drag racing and track racing, depending on the mods you select. And, there are some serious mods available for the Z06 that could make it a real beast.

10. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Yes, thats true, but the z06 is boring to look at.Also, 10 years from now, the Viper will still be cool, while the Z06 will be just another old Vette.

11. Clax

Clax Formula 3

Oct 3, 2002
    You are right, the Z06 is definitely a boring looking car (Vettes are very common). It depends on what you are looking for (pure stealth racer, or something a little more unique). I forgot to mention in my post that I like the styling of the Viper (not the new model, but the previous model).

12. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Pretty much the same for me. I like the style of the older Gts, cheap to mod and get crazy power, i can beat the piss out of it, and it will still be cool for years to come. I may get like 1996-1997 with the forged bottom end, do all the bolt ons, and then throw a 250shot of spray on it.

13. Chevarri

Chevarri Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2003
    In a rose bush.
    Full Name:
    J'aime

What is it with you and spraying? I bet youd spray a Geo if given the chance, then againg I dont think youd be caught dead in one :(

14. C. Losito

C. Losito Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2003
    Metro St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Chris Losito
    250 shot on a Geo...hmm...:D

15. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Have you ever felt a 250 shot of instant power?

16. mjguflaw

mjguflaw Rookie

Jan 16, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I have a 2000 GTS as my daily driver. I agree with most of what has been said here (except the weird power steering comment, mine works just fine at any speed). The car scared the hell out of me at first, and I still treat it with plenty of respect. It is very fast. Few street cars outside of mega-exotics can keep up, and with less than 15 k in mods (i.e. a supercharger) you can outrun just about anything in a straight line. The weakest link is definitely the brakes. For street cars, replacing the stock pads with EBC greens makes a remarkable improvement at very little cost. Also, the stock exhaust sounds horrible (insert UPS truck comment here, which I heartily agree with), but put in a nice catback system and it definitely roars. The exterior paint is generally very good on these cars. The interior, as stated by others, is not impressive. Mine has all kinds of horrible panel gaps. But hey, you get what you pay for and the money here was spent on performance not luxury. It also rides rough and if your other car is say, a Mercedes S-class, you are going to be appalled at the stiffness of the ride. Personally I look at it as the infinitely more practical alternative to a 427 Cobra, but I may be unusual. Quality-wise I haven't been that impressed. It's not appaling but pretty typical of American cars generally I think. For example, my air conditioning quit working two days ago and the car only has 30k miles on it. The person who said these cars don't handle is obviously clueless. Three consecutive class wins at LeMans. Three consecutive FIA GT2/GTS championships. An outright win at Daytona. One of the best racing pedigrees of any street car of recent vintage. I plan for my next fun car to be a Ferrari, but I plan to keep my GTS, so I guess that kinda sums it up.

17. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco

"Talentless"??? "uncalibrated"??? Meathead"??? Wow you are something else. Welcome to our chatroom by the way. Everyone has the right to their own opinion. If you don't like it, argue it...... no need to call anyone names. You don't know me therefore you have no reason to say what talent I have or how calibrated I am.

On to the next dude. Chill-out a little more.

18. Viper 10

Viper 10 Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Brad Chang
    Viperalley is just too weird for me. I've met a few of those guys and they are a bunch of idiots, who haven't clue how to drive their cars. JMO.

Brad

19. CAS

CAS F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Clint
    classic: when your opinion is not based in fact, I have a problem with it. The Viper is one of the best handling and fastest (around a racetrack) production cars ever built. That is not an arguable opinion and it has the titles, times, and data to back it up. It takes an experienced driver to extract that performance, but "Vipers handle like sh**" is an ignorant comment, so I called you on it. And I wasn't personally referring to you a meathead or uncalibrated, but you sound like a 2 bit journalist hack whose magazine is getting a nice advertising contract with GM or some guy who swallows Road and Track like Paris Hilton on a good day.

Thank you for the welcome, BTW.

Oh and Brad, I'm sorry to hear that; it can most certainly can get stupid over there. Again, good to see you.

20. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Anyone know the long term longevity of these cars. Since they have taken their depreciation hits, they are rather affordable.

How will they stand up at 100K, 150K?

How often do clutches need replacing?

Belt service/majors really expensive?

21. 6.0 se

6.0 se F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 26, 2004
    Atlanta,ga. area
    Full Name:
    A.J.

22. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco

No worries, I can assure you I am not a journalist. I am just a car guy nuthin else man. Anyways.

23. CAS

CAS F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Clint
    classic, you have a PM.

LA - the Vipers longevity is quite exceptional. These cars can be track driven, street driven, and with proper and usual maintainence, hold up exceptionally well. The year will determine ulimate reliability, but the Gen I's (92-1996) had leaky head gasket problems, but most have been taken care of already. Not really many running around with 100-150K miles, but there are some examples at 50K that have needed only minor items. Rebuild/major service is not applicable unless the motor needs serious work, then it is pulled and sent to Arrow for a rebuild, from where it comes back stronger then ever. The pre 00 cars had slightly lumpier cams which allow for greater gains w/ headers and exhaust mods. Compared to Ferrari operating cost, the Viper is much less (although that's expected). Clutches are damned solid, about the only thing that needs to be replaced often are the rear tires :D.

24. 6.0 se

6.0 se F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 26, 2004
    Atlanta,ga. area
    Full Name:
    A.J.
    Have logged over 300,000 miles on various vipers.I have replaced 1 clutch,and it was on my 108,000 mile 94,and I replaced the clutch at 107,000.No major problems on any of the over 20 vipers I have owned.Oh,the clutch replacement cost me $1100.

25. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Thanks CSEVER, I was trying to compare the viper to the nsx when it came to reliability and maintenance costs.