Viper in trouble | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Viper in trouble

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by TheMayor, Mar 21, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. opencollector

opencollector Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2005
    CA Central Coast
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    That's not what he said.

2. fast&faster

fast&faster Karting
    BANNED

Jun 8, 2014
    Northern Ca
    Full Name:
    Stephen Mark
    Really??!!....It was a direct quote ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

3. opencollector

Feb 1, 2005
    CA Central Coast
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Really.

He was making an assertion about early year Vipers' reputation - and even acknowledged that the reputation might be undeserved.

Furthermore, a decent lap time doesn't mean a car isn't a handful to drive.

The subject here is why the Viper, a street car, isn't selling well, which it isn't.

4. fast&faster

fast&faster Karting
    BANNED

Jun 8, 2014
    Northern Ca
    Full Name:
    Stephen Mark
    I had to LAUGH at what you consider a "Decent" lap time, as it's patently obvious your definition of "Decent" and mine are Universes apart.

The Viper out of the 100 BEST Nurburgring lap times FINISHED 6th!!!

Please attempt to explain where anywhere in the World that being in the UPPER 90 percentile of accomplishment/s would be as you so flippantly dismiss as being "Decent"?!

It's a Rhetorical Question, you CAN'T!
    I'm Done.
    Top 100 Lap Records | Nürburgring Lap Times

1. Radical SR8LM 6:48.00 Watch Onboard '09
    2. Radical SR8 6:56.08 Watch Onboard '05
    3. Porsche 918 Spyder 6:57.00 Watch Onboard '13
    4. Nissan GT-R Nismo 7:08.68 Watch Onboard '15
    5. Gumpert Apollo Speed 7:11.57 Watch Onboard '09
    6. Dodge Viper SRT-10 ACR 7:12.13 Watch Onboard '10
    7. Lexus LFA Nurburgring Package 7:14.64 Watch Onboard '12
    8. Donkervoort D8 RS 7:14.89 Watch Onboard '05
    9. Porsche 911 GT2 RS 7:18.00 Onboard N/A '10
    10. Radical SR3 Turbo 7:19.00 Watch Onboard '03
    11. Nissan GT-R 7:19.10 Onboard N/A '13
    12. Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 7:19.63 Watch Onboard '12
    13. Dodge Viper ACR 7:22.1 Watch Onboard '09

5. opencollector

Feb 1, 2005
    CA Central Coast
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    You're tilting at windmills.
    I'm glad.

6. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I stand by what I said earlier, the Viper will disappear not because it is a bad car but because there are too many other cars people who have 125K would rather have!

7. Mbn

Mbn Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2004
    Number and acceleration wise viper been always n exotics terorroiry.

You can get a base new viper for something like 100k.

Dealers loaded cars with option that what happened they didn't give customers the option to order what they like.

They just fully loaded everything.

I myself bought my 2014 TA and can't be happier the car deliver everything I want in a car for the street and track.

Not following Viper blindly here i own more than 7 vipers it's the best modern American sport car IMHO.

But talking price vs performance wise is nonsense I can say my Viper can beat my 458 on street and track.. sorry but this childish talk and belongs to ricer world.

Viper needs better marketing and global export.

Mbn

8. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    To me, it looks like old news. I know they are very nice performance cars but the new viper simply looks like a freshened up SRT10. It's fast but not the fastest american car. The old Z06 is as fast as the new Viper on similar tires. Cant imagine what the new Z06 will do.
    Base Viper apparently is too crude to command a $100k sticker so really people want the 125k car which is serious money.

9. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    The new Z06 with 660hp will be a match to the Vipers 640hp. I had a moden ZR1 which I loved and they are comparable.

I can see people not like driving the Viper because it is a beast. This is why I like it. The new Viper designed out the issues that were apparent in the previous models. All car manufactures improve their cars as years go on. I personally like the exterior design. It is uniquely American.

Someone mentioned the 458 is faster. I own a 458 a new Viper plus many other cars and I am not so sure. The 458 does not feel as powerful, but I suspect the dual clutch may win out.

My Aventador with 700hp and all wheel drive is probably quicker all I can say is the Viper is a more exciting drive and it feels more powerful.

Great thread with interesting posts

Best

Lee

10. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    you are a real aficionado. Z06 won't run with Gen IV or V Vipers. ZR1 will.

SRT10 looks nothing like new SRT. Gen II Viper (1996-2002) does.

Agree price is a big problem. Sticker can actually exceed $155K. Check out inventory list here.

New Dodge Tomball TX

I've owned 5 Vipers, but the current price is a pretty big pill and I can't see trading my very nice 2001 GTS plus $60-100K for the new car.

11. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I see all of your points but lets face fact do most people who spend 125 + for a car buy it because it is fast. If they did well then a lot of Ferrari's, Porsche's and AM's would be sitting on dealers lots. There might be some real drivers on this forum but in the real world it what's on the label or the rear bumper that counts. The Viper would be a great car if it topped out at 75K. At 155K it is just waiting for extinction.

12. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Probably true-although I see no reason why the Viper can't justify its price(or, frankly, why it should have to). It has a massive alloy V10, a proper chassis, many bespoke components, a rich race history, limited production, a greatly improved interior as nice as others in that segment and unique styling. It also provides very competitive performance. I'm really tired of hearing folks complain when a domestic manufacturer tries to ask a segment correct price.
    No problem to pay through the nose for German iron(with some pretty notorious reliability issues over the last decade-Porsche,Audi, I'm talking to you), yet an American brand is over reaching? Sad.

13. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    There seems to be an intractable self loathing by Americans for their domestic cars. It was born of the junk emanating from Detroit in the 70s and 80s, led to the bailouts that themselves bred further contempt. I don't know if that will ever change and I hope we never have a global conflict like WWII again since we likely won't be able to build our way to victory like then.

Compounding this the 3 model year production hiatus for Viper did not help. Finally, the new Viper makes no quantum leaps in performance, but does so on price while offering at most more luxury and refinement. Viper's cred has always been brutal, scary, unrefined but massive performance. The new car is just not true to that.

I do fear it is dead,

14. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I just bought a 06 SRT 10 Viper. The car is 8.3 Liters with 505 hp. It's not the fastest car on the road, in fact it's right there with a C6 Z06 and my 05 430. All the cars feel somewhat fast, though nothing is very scary. The viper looks the best and is truly a beastly race car- and this is why I really enjoy it over the others. The Z06 is a perfect daily driver. It's tame and mellow until you put your foot into it. Even so it's never really scary. The 430 is a great cruiser and a blast in the canyons. The agility, the sound and the feel are truly amazing. The viper is a wrestling match. It's hot, loud, and has no real comforts; not even traction control and everything is analogue- my favorite and definitely the most fun. For the $ you really can't go wrong. And with a few mods.....

15. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    I looked long and hard at buying one near the end of the last model's run. I've been in the passenger seat in several on the track (instructing) but I've never driven one. One thing that put me off then (and I suspect the situation hasn't changed) is the difficulty getting a test drive. When I was looking previously, it was a point of great pride that the cars for sale still "had the plastic interior protection" on. I get both sides of the argument, but I think to move cars SRT has to get potential purchasers into them. Most everything else in the segment can easily be driven (if not the exact car).

16. Mbn

Mbn Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2004
    No comment as it's clear to me no first hand experience here.

Mbn

17. chanelctaz

chanelctaz Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Henderson ,N.V
    Full Name:
    Jose
    We'll if you guys fear that the Viper is dead .. Start buying the latest model TA (last viper) w only 165 in production . Will be the next American collector car . Much lower numbers than the Ford GT w 4,000 cars produce and there values are double .

18. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    In last months Sports Car Market magazine they have a section that features Ebay car sales. A dealer had a NEW 2013 Viper with a sticker of 133k that sold for a Buy it Now price of 80k. These cars are not worth 100k and the market has said so hence them sitting on dealer lots

19. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
  20. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    saw one (maybe this one?) at Amelia Island this March. gorgeous car.

anyone know what they cost new? I think this could be a good long term investment (20+ years).

21. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Saw one nice and up close at LRP. The interior really is nice. I personaly love the looks of the whole thing. Where the vette is all hard edges and stealth fighter the viper is retro cool in a good way.

What others here have said is that the viper is no onger the fastest or hardest hitting Us car and that takes away from its USP.

If stories are correct Chrysler is going to be building asupecharged viper on the order of 800hp. At that point its really interesting compared to a vette. My bet is the key to it will be in keeping the price reasonable. Ie below 125K.

22. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    In order to have a chance for survival Viper needs to have a DCT option - IMO

23. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Or they can fit the 8 speed autobox from the Challenger.

My concern about the viper centres more on build quality vs say a vette. There is also some lingering concern about suspension dynamics as the current car is essentialy a derivation going back to the orig viper.

But if they do the supercharged one I will make the xtra effort to try one out even if it meansd traveling. M<aybe a try behind the wheel and its compelling.