Virginia City Hillclimb 2009 | FerrariChat

Virginia City Hillclimb 2009

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by F430GB, Sep 6, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F430GB

F430GB F1 Veteran

May 5, 2008
    Reno, NV
    Full Name:
    Gil Folk
    It's just around the corner isn't it? Is there a set date yet? Anyone planning on attending?

-G.B.

2. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    Two weeks away! I will be there. Going in for a tuneup tomorrow to make sure nothing falls off along the way.

3. F430GB

F430GB F1 Veteran

May 5, 2008
    Reno, NV
    Full Name:
    Gil Folk
    Cool! So it is set for the weekend of September 19th and 20th? I will most likely be there (as a spectator). Anyone else going? :)

-G.B.

4. F430GB

F430GB F1 Veteran

May 5, 2008
    Reno, NV
    Full Name:
    Gil Folk
    Does anyone know if it costs money to be a spectator? Do you have to buy tickets or...?

Thanks,
    -G.B.

5. dakharris

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    Just show up. Very little parking at the bottom of the hill where the start is.

6. F430GB

F430GB F1 Veteran

May 5, 2008
    Reno, NV
    Full Name:
    Gil Folk
    Cool. I look forward to seeing you at the event. :)

-G.B.

7. amadeumd

amadeumd Rookie

Sep 12, 2009
    Hello everyone.

I have a few guys from El Dorado Hills that want to join.

Do we have a set date for sure?
    Seems to be the same weekend as the Reno Air Races.

I hope it is Sunday.

Thanks

8. F430GB

F430GB F1 Veteran

May 5, 2008
    Reno, NV
    Full Name:
    Gil Folk
    Hello and welcome to F-Chat! :)

The Hillclimb races are September 19th and 20th. Saturday is mostly practice and qualifying and Sunday is the beginning of the actual timed runs. It is the same weekend as the Reno Air Races. I hope you and your gang will be able to make it to the event! :)

-G.B.

9. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
    Hi Amadeumd,

I am just down the road from you in Folsom. Welcome to F-Chat.

10. F430GB

F430GB F1 Veteran

May 5, 2008
    Reno, NV
    Full Name:
    Gil Folk
    Does anyone know what time the event starts/ends on Saturday and Sunday?

Thanks,
    -G.B.

11. Vraiment

Vraiment F1 Rookie

Jul 7, 2009
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Vraiment
    Virginia City Hillclimb. Info: Leslie Blinn (510)820-1664, e-mail: [email protected].

12. dakharris

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    Sat: 10-5
    Sun: 9-5

Times are approximate and the course is closed as needed to let tour busses and RV's through that can't make the hairpin on highway 342. Bring your camera, water and sunscreen. Should be approximately 50 Ferraris, Shelbys, Tigers and a few Brand Xs. Parking at the start is very limited. There is a private dirt lot across the street just north of the starting area. Just be sure that when you pay the attendant, you get a receipt.

13. F430GB

F430GB F1 Veteran

May 5, 2008
    Reno, NV
    Full Name:
    Gil Folk
    Great, thanks!!! I look forward to seeing you and other F-Chatters at the event! :)

-G.B.

14. amadeumd

amadeumd Rookie

Sep 12, 2009
    I have my GranTurismo ready to roll for the climb. Have to work Sat though. Can I still make it for Sun to race up??

Again thanks for the warm welcome.

15. F430GB

F430GB F1 Veteran

May 5, 2008
    Reno, NV
    Full Name:
    Gil Folk
    I'm not 100% positive, but I am retty sure you have to qualify on Saturday to race on Sunday. You can still come up Sunday as a spectator! But don't hold me to that as I am not 100% sure...

-G.B.

16. dakharris

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    Deadline for entry was August 24. There is a mandatory driver's meeting on Friday night and you have to pass tech inspection and then attend another mandatory driver's meeting on Saturday morning. Check out the FCA-PR website for rules and regulations, etc: http://www.ferraripacific.org/index.cfm/ID/88/Coming-Events/ Drop by on Sunday to check it out and get a feel for the event this year. Then join the club and run it next year!

17. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    As always, I'll be there :)

A quick clarification - There is no "qualifying" - This is a NON-competitive event. (yeah, right!) Theoretically, Saturday is practice runs while Sunday is timed (although times are kept "secret" until Sunday evening).

Cheers,
    Ian
    PS - In case anyone missed it, here's my video from last year: http://vimeo.com/4443638

18. fastfred

fastfred Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2004
    antioch calif.
    Full Name:
    fred pedersen
    WOW, I'm going to miss this year i just bought my 1988.5 328 GTS and i don't think it will even make it up to the lake(been having a over heating thing)....plus its the grand opening of my new store (i know poor planing) but i will be there next year for sure when this car is all sorted out......last time i was there i did have a great time with my 1991 TR (miss it)...i'll be looking for the pic.'s next week and hearing of all the fun every one had. and it is, i think one of the best events of the year. (fun factor 10+)..............

19. dakharris

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    Fred, good idea to get your car sorted out before you take it to the hill climb! Also a good idea to get to know what it can and cannot do. I ran my 550 three weeks after buying it last year. Had no idea what its limits were at the time. A year later I still don't know and I'm not about to try to find out on the hill :D Just got her back from Brian Crall and I'm glad I had them go through it. Sorted out some performance issues and even a potential safety concern. Getting antsy and ready to go. REALLY looking forward to this weekend!

20. F430GB

F430GB F1 Veteran

May 5, 2008
    Reno, NV
    Full Name:
    Gil Folk
    GREAT video Ian! Are you going to make another one using the same set-up this year? :)

+1!!!!! These past couple have days have been painfully long!!! Can't WAIT for this event! :D

-G.B.

21. dwink

dwink Rookie

Sep 16, 2009
    Hello all!

I am excited to watch the hillclimb this weekend!!! I live right at the bottom of Geiger Grade which is the road to Virginia City and will be spectating all weekend.

I moved to Reno late last year, this will be my first event out here, and I sold my track car last year rather than haul it across country. Hopefully I will have a replacement for next year's event.

As I am very close to the event, if anyone needs a home base to take care of anything, just drop me a line via this forum, I am happy to assist where I can.

See you all this weekend!!

22. F430GB

F430GB F1 Veteran

May 5, 2008
    Reno, NV
    Full Name:
    Gil Folk
    Wow, that is VERY kind of you!!! Welcome to F-Chat!!! It's great to see members that are from the Reno area on this forum! :)

-G.B.

23. dwink

dwink Rookie

Sep 16, 2009
    Good to see you as well! I have seen a couple Ferraris running about. Seems like this town likes Lambos more... very telling, eh?

24. TOOLFAN

TOOLFAN F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2005
    California
    Who would have guessed Ian would be there? Bring the Tevas :D.

25. dakharris

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    I hear that he has nomex socks for them this year ;)