Visiting Chicago over Christmas | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Visiting Chicago over Christmas

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by robrick, Dec 11, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Yes, the Oriental Instuitute is very cool, too. I haven't been there since High School. (I bought an "Ankh" charm and used it as an Earring for many years....:) )They have (had?) a really neat copy of the "Rosetta Stone" there along with some really great artifacts.

Thinking about it now, I think that I need to take me kiddies on a Field Trip there very soon.....:) Thanks for that reminder Mr. Bill!

Yeah, Andreas, you listed what I would consider being the perfect journey to Egypt!.....Someday!

2. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    I saw the exhibit in the seventies also, and thought it was great, until I saw the Tut exhibit at the Royal Britsh Museum in London a couple of years later.

The exhibit here couldn't hold a candle to the one in London!

As a side note, the actual Rosetta Stone is housed at the Royal British.

If I recall correctly, I believe the exhibits here are much smaller due to transportation concerns.

3. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    BTW: I skipped over the part how you get from Cairo to Luxor: That would be by cruise. As in Nile cruise or Red Sea dive cruise. Eitherway a nice trip.

4. allegretto

allegretto Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2006
    Chicago Area
    Full Name:
    Herman
    Joe's Stone Crab. Jumbo claws are to die for
    Japonis, Fusion Japanese and Continental, great bar downstairs on the River.
    Shaw's, the freshest and best fish in Chicago, If Sea Bass is in...!!!

5. jeffwh

jeffwh Karting

Oct 6, 2006
    White
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    Hi,

If you want a really nice place to go for dinner then you should try MK. Its at 868 N. Franklin. How old are your children? They should be teens to enjoy this place. The website is www.mkchicago.com. For fun I would recommend Pizzaria Uno, it's lots of fun. You can also go to either the Sears tower or the Prudential tower for a great view of the city. The museums are all really good, but they might like the Field museum as it has dinosaurs. It is near the planetarium and the aquarium.

If you haven't seen Wicked yet it is a great musical and is playing right now in the city. Tickets may be tough to get during your stay, but I have yet to hear from anyone who didn't like the show.

6. allegretto

allegretto Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2006
    Chicago Area
    Full Name:
    Herman

MK was good a few years ago when Michael was still there. I haven't been there in a while though and I hear Michael is into his Vegas thing now.

Give me the Museum of Science and Industry any day over the Field! Planeterium is very cool for budding young astronomers as well.

7. robrick

robrick Rookie

Jun 5, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Full Name:
    John M.
    Well, we start the long drive early tomorrow morning. Once again, thanks so much to everyone who helped out. I will definetly consider everyone's advice. I'm sure we will have a great time and the weather looks like it wont be to bad. I'll be sure to tell everyone how it went when I come back. Thanks again.

-John

8. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I took my son to the Museum of Science & Industry yesterday to see the "Christmas around the World" display. They also have the "Spirit of America" former land speed record holding Car from the early 1960's. (522 MPH I believe) Lots of cools stuff. Your family would love it, I am sure.

Pizza? Well, I am originally from "Da Nort'west side of Chicago". And the BEST Pizza, IMO comes from the small Mom and Pop shops, as opposed to the chains, or bigger places. Though "Giordano's" has a great Stuffed Pizza. But I don't really care for Gino's East, Lou Malnati's or Pizzaria Uno personally. Those places are just "O.K.", mediocre- IMHO. Father and Son is better. Again, IMO.

Come out to "Da Burb's" where many of the old pizza places moved out to, like County Inn, Q's, Pizza Palace...."Now dats-a-good-a-pizza!"

9. robrick

robrick Rookie

Jun 5, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Full Name:
    John M.
    Well, we got back tonight. My family had a wonderful time in Chicago. We went to Shedd Aquarium (which was a blast), Navy Pier, and one of my favorites the Art Institute. Not to mention the great food.My oldest son even got Ferrari shoes at the Puma Store. The weather was great and I'm sure we will talk about this trip for years to come. Sadly, we didnt have time to see the other dealers except Gold Coast, but their inventory was great (Enzo, LP640, 612, Gallardo Spyder, Bentley GTC, Murci Roadster). Thanks so much for everyone's advice that made this such a memorable vacation.

-John

10. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    Glad the trip went well!! Did you get a chance to check out Portillos?? :D :D

11. robrick

robrick Rookie

Jun 5, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Full Name:
    John M.
    Sorry we didn't. We went to Gibson's and Bice for our fine dining and Downtown Dogs, Gino's East, and the restaurant at Shedd for our luches.

12. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    don't forget a quick flight to Aswan, to see the temple of Philie, Elephantine Island (reportedly the Arc of the Covenant was there for 600 years), then a quick flight to Abu Simbel.

LOVE the O.I.!
    They had a MAJOR renovation over the past 5 years. World class museum!

13. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    I'll make up for their sins today!

14. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Didn't know about the Elephantine Island. Thanks for that!

The *NEW* Abu Simbel, a monument to the power of Araldit (aka epoxy). :)