Visiting Maui in June | FerrariChat

Visiting Maui in June

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by Shorn355, Jan 27, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Hi All - I will be visiting Maui in June. Any suggestions for good restaurants/bars - specifically with live music and preferably perhaps a "hot spot" for Ferrari's and other exotics? Will have rental car so can get around but would prefer to spend time going places that have been recommended instead of "trial and error" - Thoughts/suggestions appreciated - Cheers! :)

2. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    #2 ernie, Jan 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
    Depends on what side of the Island you're on.

Mama's fish house in Paia is nice, but it's pricey.
    Flatbread Pizza, also in Paia is good.
    Cheeseburger in Paradise in Lahaina is okay.
    And if you are gonna do a Luau go to the one at the Wailea Marriott. It has the fire dancers, and all you can eat and drink.
    For Shave Ice, I recommend Local Boys Shave Ice in Kihei Kalama Village. I had one everyday.
    The Maui Ocean Center in Wailuku isn't bad.
    Old town Lahaina is a nice day trip. Plenty of restaurants, bars and shops.
    If you do the sunrise at the top of the volcano, take warm clothes because it is COLD up there, you will be over 10,000 feet above sea level.
    The road to Hana is an all day trip, a long, slow, winding trip, especially if you get stuck behind the tour buses. There really isn't anything special in Hana, but once at the State Park the bamboo forest hike to the water fall is neat. The 7 sacred pools isn't bad either.

3. sailquik

sailquik Formula 3

Feb 27, 2006
    In a temperate zone
    Full Name:
    Charlie
    Flatbread is a good recommendation and Charlie's is my favorite for breakfast: both casual. Mama's is a bit overrated IMHO, but it is upscale, if that's what you're looking for. I spent most of the time in and around Paia, so don't have much info about Lahaina, other than it seemed really, really touristy.

For some good, cheap local chow go to Da Kitchen (there's one in Kahului and one in Lahaina) and get the moco loco or the fried spam musubi. Go hungry, leave stuffed.

4. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Awesome! Thanks everyone :) We are staying at the Fairmont Kea Lani which I believe is on the west side of the island but will have a rental car.

Thanks tons for all the tips - Never been to Maui so very psyched!

Cheers :)

5. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    If you are into history and end up doing the road to Hana, Charles Lindberg is buried over there in a very remote little spot off the road. Interesting to see. He was a hermit in later life and he and his wife lived there for many years in seclusion. A day trip around the other end of the island will give you some great photos too.

I second Mama's. I rather like it and if you go late in the afternoon and are there during sunset it is a pretty spot to just drink and watch the ocean.

6. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Excellent!!! Thanks very much - We will definitely be getting out and exploring the island - especially over the weekend. Thanks again for all the tips and suggestions!

Cheers :)

7. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Best view on earth IMHO. My wife and I celebrated our 15th wedding anniversary in Maui, and had our children. The end of the trip was a sunset dinner at Mama's before getting on the plane...just stunning.

8. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    I was doing some work on Maui and a friend and I made the effort to get up early and be on the summit of Haleakala for sunrise. Spectacular!!

9. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    How many places on earth can you see a view like that surrounded by snow and be snorkeling or surfing a hour later. Amazing

10. Cavallino Aficionado

Oct 3, 2006
    Lk. Tapps/Buckley WA
    Full Name:
    Brian
    There are many great eats in Lahina but one I will recommend and revisit is Kimo's.

11. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    I'o or Pacific'O in Lahaina on the south end of town right on the beach. They also do the Feast at LeLe (luau). Had dinner at I'o on July 4. Sat at our table on the beach and watched the fireworks as we ate creme brulee served in a pineapple husk.

12. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Creme Brulee in a Pineapple Husk???? Seriously? Yikes - I may never come back!

Again everyone - Thanks very much for all the replies and suggestions - most appreciated! Although Colorado is no Maui please let me know if I can ever reciprocate - Cheers :)

13. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Geste Shrimp Truck near the airport/port harbor is awesome.

If you're into snorkeling, check out Woody's - semi-private to private charter (max 6 passengers), can't be beat.

14. Ferretti700

Ferretti700 Rookie

Mar 6, 2011
    Anzio Italy / SFO
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    Dinner at Ferraro's, Four Seasons, Wailea, just before sunset, is difficult to beat. But you had better call well in advance for a table.

15. mauispence

mauispence Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2005
    Lahaina, Maui, Hawai
    Full Name:
    Jim Spence
    #15 mauispence, Mar 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  16. pyroguy

pyroguy Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 20, 2006
    Minnesota
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I am currently vacationing on Maui now. Next door to Fairmont, the Polo Beach Club. The wifey and I gravitate towards Maui as our favorite HI island. I'm not much into the club scene anymore so I can't make any recommendations there. Nicks Fish Market at the Fairmont is one of our favorite restaurants. Cafe Ole in Kihei is great also. Sorentos in Kihei is another fine choice. Try to book a table at Sorentos so you can catch the sunset.

I was also hoping to catch a C&C or see some Fellow Fcars and their drivers while on Maui. But I must admit I have yet to even see 1 Fcar in all my trips here. I would think that there would be at least 1 or 2 exotics in the Makena area as it is pretty upscale.

Almost forgot, ziplining is pretty popular and fun. You might want to book before you arrive as most places get booked in advance. We also did a ATV ride up by Haleakala. Not sure if it is still in operation but it was fun. "Super dusty" so I recommend wearing one of the Jumpsuits they have. That Hawaii red dirt gets everywhere.

Enjoy your visit. I know we are!
    Steve