Visiting NYC... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Visiting NYC...

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by Stephanie, Oct 13, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Museum of Natural History.

The Bronx Zoo is very cool in the winter and totally empty.

The Staten Island Ferry is a great way to see the harbor.

Ice Skating in Rock Center.

Best

2. bointc

bointc Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2006
    Jersey City, NJ
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    The Zoo in the winter? I'd never think to do that, do they leave most of the animals out? I mean wouldn't tigers and stuff freeze?

3. Bavarian Motorist

Bavarian Motorist Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2007
    Westchester/NYC
    Full Name:
    Mike

Tigers will freeze anyway in NY weather. I think they have controlled climates in each area.

4. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    They leave some of the animals out but the rest are indoors and it's deserted and kinda of cool. There are a lot of indoor exhibits. Parking is no problem as well.

Some of the animals Polar Bears etc. are much more lively.

5. Bavarian Motorist

Bavarian Motorist Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2007
    Westchester/NYC
    Full Name:
    Mike
    You can also go to South Street Seaport and take a water taxi around. It's cool and you can even take it back to Brooklyn !!

6. robiferretti

robiferretti F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    NYC area
    Full Name:
    rob ferretti
    bring a jacket. I would recommend the touristy things i've never been able to do. Try visiting the statue of liberty. Take a cruise on the circle line (did it in 3rd grade). Go to the top of the Empire State building. Central park zoo, maybe take a carrige ride around Central park. Take a cruise through FAO Schwartz (on the corner or Central park and 58th) make sure you get an ice cream sunday or something fun.

Ok thats about all I got. Enjoy NY

7. bointc

bointc Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2006
    Jersey City, NJ
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Ice skating in Central Park or Rockefeller Center?

8. Black355

Black355 F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Emil
    Make your reservation for Rock Center now!

9. Stephanie

Stephanie F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 23, 2006
    The Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephanie
    Wow! Thanks, everyone! The zoo sounds like a great thing to do with the family. I love ice skating and I've always wanted to do it in Rockefeller Center! I can't believe I forgot about the Empire State Building. I'll definitely have to check that out, too. OK, I'm really excited now! Haha.

If any of you ever need a list of recommendations for pretty much anywhere in Florida, let me know! I always have to be the first one to scope out a new venue, so I'm full of good ideas! :D

10. robiferretti

robiferretti F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    NYC area
    Full Name:
    rob ferretti
    So whats cool to do in Orlando? Just kidding Disney Rocks! I also did the worlds tallest sling shot when I was down there but was expecting it to be crazier.

11. Angelo08

Angelo08 Rookie

Sep 26, 2006
    NY
    i know its usually passed as being nothing but visiting the Empire State Building is quite a sight. Taking the ferry over to see the Statue of Liberty and passing Ellis Island has always been a tourist attraction well favored. I do believe they are allowing access to all these sites presently. While in Brooklyn you have to try and get some pizza from the famed Grimaldis. http://www.grimaldis.com/ Plenty of things to do and places to go to in NY, just need to find the time. If the weather is right you might get a chance to see how nice NYC looks with a slight coating of fluff (snow), Something you dont see in FL.

12. jhsalah

jhsalah Formula 3

Apr 10, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Full Name:
    Jawad
    BTW, when you're in Rockefeller Center, there are two other things you really should do: (1) Maison du Chocolat -- excellent, premium chocolate -- for those who like real chocolate (as in pure "ganache", excellent Champaign truffles etc. *not* Hershey candy bar crap (sorry, it really is crap) and (2) "Top of the Rock". The observation deck at the top gives amazing views. Not as high as the Empire State Building, but pretty darn high and usually not as crowded as the ESB.

Good luck. Enjoy NYC.

13. Stephanie

Stephanie F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 23, 2006
    The Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephanie
    If you really want recommendations, let me know.

Disney is the most obvious tourist attraction, but Universal's Islands of Adventure puts it to shame in the thrill department. As far as restaurants, watering holes, etc. there are lots of great places.
    The Empire State Building is #1 on my list of things to do, second is ice skating in Rockefeller Center. I have actually looked into purchasing tickets early. Ice skating is first come, first serve, unfortunately. I will call again shortly before I visit, but the message I received said that no reservations were available at the time. My friend said it's best to see the Statue of Liberty from the Brooklyn bridge b/c the ferries take forever, she also knows I'm not the most patient person. Ha. I'm not a big pizza person, but I'll mention Grimaldi's to her. As for snow, I really hope it doesn't get that cold while I'm there.
    Thanks! I will add Maison du Chocolat to the list after ice skating. My friend is a HUGE choc-o-holic, so I'm sure she'll appreciate your suggestion. I did look into Top of the Rock as I was looking into skating and I think I'd rather just go to ESB, it's higher and more well known. It's like not going to Disney in Orlando! Haha. :)

14. Stephanie

Stephanie F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 23, 2006
    The Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephanie
    Sorry, I must've missed this before. Thank you for the compliments. I'd love to meet up with everyone, but this trip is short and I really need to spend it with my best friend and family. I really do appreciate the thought, though. :)

15. bointc

bointc Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2006
    Jersey City, NJ
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Know anything about Miami? I know it's a few hours away :p but I've been to Orlando a few times, never down to Miami

16. Black355

Black355 F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Emil
    Is there anything to really know about Miami? I know nothing about Miami when I go, and I never have a bad weekend.

17. bointc

bointc Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2006
    Jersey City, NJ
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    lol I was deciding if I wanted to get away while it's cold or wait til Spring Break, but I guess either one would be decent? Don't forget I'm younger and not tied down :p

18. Black355

Black355 F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Emil
    Then avoid Orlando. Too many kids. Too many strip mall clubs. Too many cougar.

19. bointc

bointc Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2006
    Jersey City, NJ
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    lol last time I went down to Orlando was about last year, I believe it was 4th of July weekend, I was bored with a few friends and we just decided to pack our stuff and drive down there to FL for the weekend, it wasn't that great, we went to Disney, was going to go down to Miami, but we were so tired from the drive already that we didn't go any further south...

20. Stephanie

Stephanie F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 23, 2006
    The Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephanie
    Yes. All you need to know is SOUTH BEACH. If you go to Miami, stay in the heart of South Beach and you will never be bored. There's so much to do there. There are nightclubs that are open until the following day. Mansion, Nikki Beach, and Prive are all good nightclubs and as for food, there are tons of places along the strip. For great shopping, check out Bal Harbour Shops.

If you go to Orlando you definitely need a bit of guidance. Sure there are the tourist attractions such as: Disney (and anything related), Universal, Island's of Adventure, Sea World, Wet'n'Wild, and International Drive, but if you want to go to nice restaurants, lounges, etc. you really need to ask a local. Anything you'll see in a book is pretty cheesy. If you're looking for things to do at night, Bliss, Rhythm & Flow, and 23 are the only places worth visiting downtown as far as party spots, but Hue is an excellent restaurant in the area. Destiny nightclub can be good on certain nights if you like good trance music and it's off of International Drive. Blue Martini is good and that's at the Mall at Millenia, which is a pretty nice mall. Luma is an upscale lounge located in Winter Park, a suburb of Orlando, on Park Ave. and I really enjoy that place, as well. There are a couple other places on Park Ave that are nice, too. There are nice restaurants and wine bars. Everything in that area is great.

21. bointc

bointc Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2006
    Jersey City, NJ
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Still as packed during winter? Or better to wait til Spring break? Does it matter? Doesn't seem like it would...

22. Stephanie

Stephanie F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 23, 2006
    The Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephanie
    No, it doesn't really matter. As long as it's not cold, people will still be on the beach and out and about. The weather is great right now actually.

I, personally, do not like to go to South Beach or Daytona for Spring break because it's just completely crowded and out of control, which can be fun for a night, but not all week.

23. PorscheTurboS

PorscheTurboS Karting

Nov 3, 2005
    Jersey shore
    Full Name:
    Patrick Birde
    u like chocolate? max brenards on 14th street has all these crazy chocolate things...

24. Stephanie

Stephanie F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 23, 2006
    The Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephanie
    I mentioned it to my friend and we'll look into that, as well.

We'll be making a list of things to do in the next couple of weeks. I can't wait!!

25. Stephanie

Stephanie F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 23, 2006
    The Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephanie
    I didn't want to hijack the Turkey run thread anymore, but I'm really excited now. Five more days until I leave for NY!! :D

I can't wait to meet you all in a week and a half. :)