Visitor to San Francisco from the UK | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Visitor to San Francisco from the UK

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by MalcQV, Jun 24, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    Cheers guys loads of useful info. October is now probably out and if I manage to get there it will be November. Staying in SF after what I have read.

It will only be seven days max and I think I will just hire a car for a couple of days. Maybe an old Mustang :). As I will be treating my brother-in-law to the trip I have to consider his thoughts too. It may be I treat my sister and her family as a whole and visit somewhere in Europe. All up in the air but thank you very much all who contributed.

2. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    Plenty of hotels in San Fran that offer free parking. Best option in my view is to stay at a hotel within walking distance to a neighborhood street, so you can walk to breakfast or dinner places that locals go to. No real point in staying near Union Square unless you like to shop all day at the same stores you can shop at in any major city, plus it's not really close to anything except Chinatown and the financial district. Pretty much anything near a major tourist attraction is going to be an overpriced tourist trap.

The Hertitage Marina Hotel is where we always put our out-of-town guests. http://www.heritagemarinahotel.com/ The rooms were recently redone and nicely appointed. Their most expensive room is under $100, with Golden Gate Bridge views. You can walk to Fishermans Wharf, Polk Street, Union Street and Chestnut Street (where the Russian Hill, Cow Hollow and Marina locals live their lives), and the Marina Greens in 15 minutes. Plus, free parking. Lombard St is 5 minutes away, but to be honest, I never understood the fascination with it - it is not even the crookedest street in San Francisco.

Hope this helps.

3. ddoninja

ddoninja Rookie

Oct 23, 2007
    Danville, CA
    Full Name:
    Don
    come on Craig, dont take it personal. We just fear the parking nazi's who stab tickets on our rides for no good reason and ride IN the tow trucks cuz its just a matter of time before they tow a brother's ride.....

4. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    I looked at the Heritage Marina, good price but awful reviews and I mean awful. Maybe if just refurbished it is better?

5. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    #30 xs10shl, Jul 6, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2009
    Wow, we used to book here regularly up until a few years ago, and have not had the need since. Looks like things have really gone into the toilet, from what I read - new ownership perhaps? Or perhaps because they knew we were locals that we got the best rooms?

I take back what I said about the hotel.