Vista - my $2100 nightmare | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Vista - my $2100 nightmare

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by nsxnick, Oct 23, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pdiack

pdiack Karting

Nov 19, 2003
    Vista is awful. But, in defense of Microsoft, Apple is able to make their OS much more compatible and stable because they control the hardware. Mac OS on a Mac is much easier to test and develop than Vista on every freaking PC, video card, wifi card etc..

2. nsxnick

nsxnick Formula 3

Jul 24, 2001
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Nick
    problem.... i was not able to fully complete the dual boot setup process. i followed these instructions: http://apcmag.com/5485/dualbooting_vista_and_xp

unfortunately my laptop did not come with the Vista DVD so i was not able complete the final steps. Currently it boots straight to XP.

"Restoring Vista and dual booting
    Because you can’t use the Windows XP bootloader to boot Vista, we have to reinstate Vista’s bootloader to the MBR and configure it to manage both operating systems.

Boot from the Vista DVD and on the screen where you’re prompted to “Install now”, select “Repair your computer”. "

Is there a work around? Is there an easily way to just simply remove the new XP partition?

Thanks

3. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    Since you have a valid license for Vista, you could try calling MS and getting a replacement CD. You could tell them that you have a hard drive problem or something and lost it or that it's corrupt. Do you have a restore CD? I am not very familiar with Vista but if it uses a regular CD key setup, then you could probably just install from another CD (if you have one or a friend does) and enter your license key which is probably on the sticker on the PC.

Failing that I'd call Lenovo and request (or demand actually) a replacement. I hate when they put it on the HDD to save the cost of a CD.

4. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Dell started this practice approximately 10 years ago. =/

5. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
    fyi - Cisco VPN client worked fine for me today on Vista Business (32 bit). Version 5.0.01.0600, Toshiba R300 laptop

6. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Vista, and Microsoft SUCK!! I've had it with this crap. Yes I know Apple has some issues, but that is where I am heading. Vista has some of the most ridiculous issues with network printers I have ever seen, and the only way to find the solutions to the problems is by searching forums and hoping some poor SOB has spent half his life coming up with a dumbass workaround. Like my son yelled in frustration at the age of 10....."I hate Bill Gates!"

7. d_98se

d_98se Rookie

Aug 11, 2004
    Nairobi/Atlanta
    I support your machine out of Atlanta and the downgrade to XP is only $45 plus tax.There is nothing free from MS.........Call Tech Support with your credit card ready and you should have XP within 3 business day's!

Ohh yeah now that you've deleted Vista, you will have to pay another $45 for the Vista dvd's if you want to revert back.

Happy Computing!