Viva Mexico - bringing #854 back to life | Page 10 | FerrariChat

Viva Mexico - bringing #854 back to life

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by lbird, Aug 3, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    Thank you Marek. Plugs will be checked after assembling and test drive. I don't think that the colour is a clear indicator right now, because the exhaust is not flame sprayed yet. I think most of the colouring existed already. The ignition is a Thor electronic ignition module....

2. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    #227 Mexico074, Feb 16, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hello lbird...

A while back you posted a question about part no 48 from the QP1 manual. I
    know you have answered your question, but thought I would add a picture
    of what is in my Mexico... And actually, this is what came out of my QP1..
    I suspect the QP1 parts manual is from the Series 1 QP1's.. The series 2 QP1's
    had much in common with the Mexico when it came to what was under the
    hood (engine, cooling, etc...)... Does this look like what is in your car?

Mike
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    A great reflection on the guys of Paderborn, and the reason I have dubbed Paderborn Germany, "The Modena of the North"
    Beautiful!! Simply a work of Art... Well done.
    Ciao,
    FGM

4. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    We are in the process of fitting the engine to the car and need one important information: How exactly is the plumbing at the back of the engine (facing the firewall)? There are two hoses coming out of the firewall, where exactly do they belong on the engine? I could not find any water or plumbing plan for the car. Any help is appreciated.....

5. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    Hi Mike, the problem is that there is no plumbing in the car yet. Thats why i don't know exactly what i need, but that part looks like what i may need. I will check if i have it somewhere, anybody knows where to get it just in case?

6. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    lbird...

If you don't have it, check with me.. The one pictured is a spare that I had
    cleaned up, blasted, and painted... I will also check on the hoses at the firewall
    in my car this evening...

Mike

7. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hello Olaf...

Before you purchase this tube, let's see if you really need it.. So some questions:

1. Are you using a Mexico radiator - the one with the hose in the top center of the
    radiator that goes to the thermostat housing inlet?

2. I see you are using the heat exchanger that houses the oil filter. Do you plan
    on converting to a spin on filter?

3. Your intake manifold is the one piece, NOT the two piece shown in the QP1 manual,
    correct?

I tried to take some pictures on my Mexico, but they were to blurry when I downloaded
    them so will try again later today or tomorrow... But from looking at my firewall, I saw
    four tubes, 2 related to the AC and two related to the heating system.

A very short tube leads out of the firewall to the heater valve that sits in the back
    of the intake manifold on the passenger side. The other tube, which is quite long, leads
    to the front of the intake manifold to a fitting just below the thermostat housing.

The tube I indicated I would sell you came out of my QP1, which as we know from the
    manual is different than the Mexico.. Look at table 32 of the QP1 parts manual, you
    will see this tube right off the radiator with no identifying number. Note also they show
    nothing in common with the intake manifold. The parts manual is for an early QP1 so
    I suspect much changed when they got to the Mexico and the Series II QP1.

So I think the plumbing routing is as follows.

1. Hose from top of radiator goes to the thermostat housing
    2. Hose from bottom of radiator goes to the lower tube of the oil cooler cylinder
    3. Hose from upper tube of the oil cooler cylinder goes into the water pump
    4. Short hose coming through the firewall goes to the heater valve on the intake manifold
    5. Longer hose coming through the firewall goes to the fitting on the front of the intake
    manifold under the thermostat housing.

I think that about covers it.. As indicated, I will try and take some pictures tonight or
    tomorrow..

So in my opinion, you may need a metal tube and/or large diameter hoses to get from
    the bottom outlet of the radiator to the oil cooler. You may not need the tube I showed
    which has the two smaller outlets coming off it, as I believe the Mexico heating system
    hot water comes from the intake manifold.

Hopefully, Paul or another Mexico owner will chime in and confirm this is what is on
    their car..

Let me know what you think...

Mike

8. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hello Olaf...

Before you purchase this tube, let's see if you really need it.. So some questions:

1. Are you using a Mexico radiator - the one with the hose in the top center of the
    radiator that goes to the thermostat housing inlet?

2. I see you are using the heat exchanger that houses the oil filter. Do you plan
    on converting to a spin on filter?

3. Your intake manifold is the one piece, NOT the two piece shown in the QP1 manual,
    correct?

I tried to take some pictures on my Mexico, but they were to blurry when I downloaded
    them so will try again later today or tomorrow... But from looking at my firewall, I saw
    four tubes, 2 related to the AC and two related to the heating system.

A very short tube leads out of the firewall to the heater valve that sits in the back
    of the intake manifold on the passenger side. The other tube, which is quite long, leads
    to the front of the intake manifold to a fitting just below the thermostat housing.

The tube I indicated I would sell you came out of my QP1, which as we know from the
    manual is different than the Mexico.. Look at table 32 of the QP1 parts manual, you
    will see this tube right off the radiator with no identifying number. Note also they show
    nothing in common with the intake manifold. The parts manual is for an early QP1 so
    I suspect much changed when they got to the Mexico and the Series II QP1.

So I think the plumbing routing is as follows.

1. Hose from top of radiator goes to the thermostat housing
    2. Hose from bottom of radiator goes to the lower tube of the oil cooler cylinder
    3. Hose from upper tube of the oil cooler cylinder goes into the water pump
    4. Short hose coming through the firewall goes to the heater valve on the intake manifold
    5. Longer hose coming through the firewall goes to the fitting on the front of the intake
    manifold under the thermostat housing.

I think that about covers it.. As indicated, I will try and take some pictures tonight or
    tomorrow..

So in my opinion, you may need a metal tube and/or large diameter hoses to get from
    the bottom outlet of the radiator to the oil cooler. You may not need the tube I showed
    which has the two smaller outlets coming off it, as I believe the Mexico heating system
    hot water comes from the intake manifold.

Hopefully, Paul or another Mexico owner will chime in and confirm this is what is on
    their car..

Let me know what you think...

Mike

9. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    Thats very helpful information Mike, because i am really unsure about the plumbing.
    I am using an original Mexico radiator with the one piece connection to the manifold, so just one tube straight into the radiator.
    I am planning to keep the original oil filter system with the heat exchanger. So no spin on conversion on the horizon yet. So lets check your suggestions:
    1. Hose from top of radiator goes to the thermostat housing - CHECK
    2. Hose from bottom of radiator goes to the lower tube of the oil cooler cylinder - PLAUSIBLE
    3. Hose from upper tube of the oil cooler cylinder goes into the water pump - CHECK, already installed
    4. Short hose coming through the firewall goes to the heater valve on the intake manifold - PLAUSIBLE
    manifold under the thermostat housing - PLAUSIBLE

Can somebody confirm this? Then i would only need some kind of 90 degree hose to the oil cooler from the bottom of the radiator....

10. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    #235 Mexico074, Feb 22, 2017
    Hello lbird...

I have some pictures of the plumbing setup in my car.. Not the best pictures,
    but hopefully useful. The first shows the major plumbing at the firewall. Ignore
    the striped hoses and ignore the cloth A/C hose. The hose resting on top of the
    thin metal bar is the fuel inlet to the carbs, so we can ignore that one as well.
    The two hoses below the A/C hose are the ones we really are concerned with.
    The one with the drop of green coolant attaches to the heater valve which bolts
    toward the back of the intake manifold. The other hose is the one that loops around
    and attaches to the front of the intake manifold.

The second picture is terrible, but enough for you to see where the outlet from the
    radiator connects to the bottom of the oil cooler canister, and the hose from the top
    of the canister connects to the water pump.

Hope this helps...

Mike

11. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    #236 lbird, Feb 23, 2017
    Thanks for the pictures Mike. I think the firewall configuration is clear. The front is still a bit confusing, i attached a picture of my engine from the relevant angle. I have to correct myself, i have two open connections in the front of the manifold. One is the big direct tube into the radiator, but the second (smaller tube) on the side must be connected somehow with the oil cooler. If that assumption is right then your spare tube has one connection too many....

I would need something like a Y-shaped tube which connects this tube with the lower exit on the radiator and the lower connection of the oil cooler. Still confusing, is there a third type of connection tube which was used?

12. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    #237 Mexico074, Feb 23, 2017
    Hello lbird...

I am not sure your assumption is correct. Attached is a picture of my
    intake manifold. The big inlet on the thermostat housing is where the radiator
    hose is attached. It is the inlet below to the left (circled in red) that is in question,
    as the other is probably the temperature sending unit. In my previous post where I
    listed the plumbing routing, number 5 indicates a long hose that comes out of the firewall
    and connects to an inlet in the front of the intake manifold. It is this inlet, circled in red,
    that the long hose attaches to.

To put it another way, the long hose that comes through the firewall from the heater core
    attaches to the inlet on the intake manifold circled in red.

On my car, I didn't see any hose connection between the oil cooler and the intake
    manifold.

It would be good if another Mexico owner confirmed all this...

Hope this helps...

Mike

13. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    I don't think the heater pipe from the firewall goes to the inlet manifold. Your spare tube should be what i need for my car. I discussed the water plan with some guys and we came up with the correct plumbing (we think). The main ends of the tube connect radiator and oil cooler. One of the smaller sideways connect to the heater hose with the closing valve in between (left side of engine from front). The other small sideway is connected to the smaller opening in the manifold (your connection with the red circle), that is the engine cooling bypass for motor warmup when the thermostat is closed. That all seems logical to me.
    What do you guys think?

14. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hello lbird...

I looked at another diagram for the Mexico/QP1 and you are correct. My car is not
    set up correctly. I am missing the small hand valve (left side of engine from front).
    Another issue I will need to sort out! When I lived in Florida, I never used the heater.
    Living here in TN, I haven't used it either.. But, I am sending you a PM... I am glad
    there is someone else here to discuss these issues with.

Mike

15. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
  16. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    We are in the process of fitting the engine into the car. Can somebody tell me where the oil temperature sender is normally located and what type it is? It can either sit at the back (near the oil pressure sender) or at the front of the block. I would appreciate any hint where to put it and how it looks big time - it is the last thing to prepare before we can slide the beast into its den.......

17. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hello lbird...

The oil temperature sender is typically located in the back by the oil pressure sending
    unit. According to the parts manuals for the Ghibli and QP1 (on which the Mexico
    is based), the part number for the Water Temp Sending Unit and the Oil Temp sending
    unit are the same. According to these manuals there is a difference, depending on
    whether you have Smith's or Borletti gauges.

I would probably try MIE for the sending unit, but if yours is Smith's, you may have
    luck finding them in the UK..

If you need a picture of what the sending unit looks like, let me know and I can send
    you a picture of the Water Temp Sending unit which is identical to the Oil Temp Sending
    Unit.

Mike

18. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    #243 lbird, Mar 17, 2017
    Thank you Mike, we found the position of the sender at the back of the block. We will check another Mexico engine for the correct sender unit. I have Veglia gauges, these senders seem to be different than the Smith ones. Does somebody know where to get them? MIE lists only Smith ones (on the left, on the right you see a used one from my engine)....

19. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
  20. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    Smith and Veglia senders have the same thread, they both fit. We will go another way and test an assortment of Smith senders together with the instruments until they show the right temperature. By doing that we make sure the gauges work fine and the readings will be accurate. It is just a question of resistance (in the senders, i mean :))

21. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Just wire in a resistor with whatever sensor you prefer. Can be hidden up behind the dash. They are very cheap and you can easily experiment until the gauge reads as you want. Been there and done this but not on a Maserati.

Pete

22. bj69

bj69 Karting

Mar 4, 2009
    #247 bj69, Mar 26, 2017
    All,

Does anyone know what these vent thingies originally looked like? Were they painted black? Mine were so old that it was hard to tell whether the black residu they had was 47 years of dirt or remainders of what was once black paint.

Thanks!
    Bart

23. porkchopious

porkchopious Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2009
    Oakton, VA
    Full Name:
    David
    The ones like this on my Ghibli had black wrinkle/crinkle paint.

24. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    Very fine black wrinkle.
    FGM

25. eogorman

eogorman Formula Junior

May 10, 2005
    Buhl, ID
    Full Name:
    Eugene O'Gorman
    Lbird on your post #194 the engine is fitted with a dual clutch flywheel. On post #217 it appears to be a single disc clutch flywheel. Did you change it? or is it just a bad picture. IF you changed it why?