Viva Mexico - bringing #854 back to life

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by lbird, Aug 3, 2014.

1. lbird

lbird Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    And now onto the questions:

1) The door ashtray on the passenger side is in a rather sorry state. The chrome frame is ok and usable, but the basic metal is more or less gone. Does somebody know where to get a usable inner section? I have a good series 1 door ashtray, but (like always) they are quite different from the series 2 thing.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2) The space around the door knobs: Is there some sort of guidance piece (probably plastic) around the pull up door knob (see picture)? If yes, how does it look?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

3) The rubber part above the inside mirror: You need to pull it aside to access the fixing screws. But how on earth do you pull the rubber back in space so it stays there? We tried for a couple of times already to no avail....

4) The twister knob for the quarterlight: It seems there are knobs with a different length. We have a longer one which works fine on the drivers side, but the other one we have for the passenger side is roughly 5 millimeters shorter. It works, but when you tighten the screw the door card is pulled back into the door too much so the ashtray frame sticks out. Not perfect - does anybody have one for swapping or selling?

5) Last question: One of my plastic knobs for the seat recliner lever is completely broken, the inner plastic parts are gone. Does anybody have one or a source for them? I can glue it on, but i am afraid it would not survice the first few uses....

As usual i appreciate any help on these detailing questions...

Attached Files:

2. red27

red27 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Oliver
    Hi Lbird. MIE sells a door lock knob trim for the Ghibli which may work for you. It is in their webshop.
    I found these quarterlight handles on ebay which also may be good. I have used the seller before, he is very good and maybe would give you measurements first. The item number is 401344217989
    Best regards to all.

Mark.

3. lbird

lbird Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    Thank you Mark, the Ghibli knob trim will not fit, but it should be possible to farbicate something fitting from that picture. I will check for the other items, but no signs of an ashtray base yet.

A good friend of mine just got back from England and brought me that door strip which was the final big trim part i was missing. A very talented artisan in England reproduced it from stainless steel, i had the right hand side part and needed the drivers side. A real difficult part to remanufacture due to the complex profile, but he did a very good job in a very short amount of time. We will see how it looks on the car soon...

4. lbird

lbird Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    Finally! The car has been completed. Got the remade door strip, the guy did a fantastic job. Check the pictures and guess which is the remade one. A big thank you goes to Vienna, where i got the missing ashtray and the seat knob from Bernhard.
    The next steps: I have to put the car on a rolling road to get some proper idling and throttle response. The jets fitted at the moment are probably no the right ones. And then its off to MOT and test driving, woohoo :)
    I will post nicer pictures when all tasks are finished! If anybody needs help with the differences in the two and a half Mexico series, drop me a question. I think i hit all the pitfalls until now.....

5. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed Rossa Subscribed

Apr 30, 2014
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Rob Manchester
    Wow! What an awesome thread. Thanks for sharing.