Volume/Track Steering Switches Not Functioning | FerrariChat

Volume/Track Steering Switches Not Functioning

Discussion in '612/599' started by Arashgha, Nov 18, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Arashgha

Arashgha Rookie

May 5, 2015
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    Arash G
    Hi Everyone,

I noticed the other night that my steering switches’ back lighting is flickering as if there’s a loose connection of some sort. It didn’t matter where the steering was or whether or not it was turned. The lights just blink very quickly.

The volume and track control switches don’t function unless you keep pressing them and all of a sudden you see an effect on the Bose unit (she has the Bose option). The voice command also doesn’t work unless you’re persistent. All else such as the Sport switch, horn, etc work and work perfectly well. Was wondering if anyone’s faced this and/or would have clue how one may go about it, thanks.

2. Arashgha

Arashgha Rookie

May 5, 2015
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    Arash G
    Any help would be appreciated

3. jochem00

jochem00 Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2014
    Netherlands
    For which car?

4. Arashgha

Arashgha Rookie

May 5, 2015
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    Arash G
    2007 612.

The dealer contacted me today stating it’s the NVO (steering board) which is at fault. It doesn’t come individually though, some $8k they said it’d cost. Anyone encountered any issues with the NVO?

5. Arashgha

Arashgha Rookie

May 5, 2015
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    Arash G
    Forgot to mention, if one needs a new NVO in their 612 they must purchase a new steering wheel which brings with it a new NVO. :(

6. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Various companies offer diagnose and fix services for dash circuit boards. Could give one of them a shout and see if they fancy fixing it? It seems a shame to spend $8k when it’s probably a 50c component that’s failed.

7. gburkett

gburkett Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2012
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Glenn Burkett
    That’s the first I’ve heard of a steering wheel NVO board failing and I would be curious to see how the dealer diagnosed it. Did they have an extra 612 steering wheel around to swap in.?. I doubt it. In any case I’m sure there are ways to fix it other than ordering a new wheel from Ferrari. I would also have some of the board repair people look at it. You could also consider a second hand wheel from some source that would contain the board and swap it. See if the board is different for the Bose units first of course. I would want to take a look at the switch backs for dirt, misaligned contact points etc before writing that check.
    If you do replace the wheel some one will buy your old one for the wall at least, don’t let the dealer dispose of it for you. Good luck and keep everyone in the loop on this. My 612 also has the Bose unit so I’m very interested in the resolution.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

8. Arashgha

Arashgha Rookie

May 5, 2015
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    Arash G
    Hi Guys,

Sorry been crazy busy at the end of the year. It was a good point gburkett made about the dealer's diagnostic work. I'm planning to have the board removed and perform some checks. I remember the horns failed on an Alfa GT I owned. I then by luck found this forum that taught me how to overcome the issue by soldering a cable from a pin to another on the steering board which of course mended the issue.

Now, I decided to replace the battery in the 612 earlier in October and following that this issue started. I lately have got random "ABS" (once) and "Electronic System Failure" (also once, at a different occasion) faults on the cluster, both at startup the latter coming right after a black out on the cluster temp/time digits momentarily turning into dashes and back to numbers. The technician at the dealer said we normally conclude a battery is on it's way when such things come up. I couldn't find any significant faults within the system only a couple of strange ones on the cluster, one which doesn't seem to want to clear off.

Nevertheless I'm switching to the same battery I had previously fitted to the car with which I was extremely happy (90Ah Amaron). And I'm doing that tonight, yes new year's eve. I decided this is the most basic work towards troubleshooting the issue(s) I've had recently. This battery proved very strong as I rarely drive my car, 3000-4000KM/year currently at 32,000KM.

I must also mention, I do own a Quattroporte Gen. 5 which I'm hoping has a similar steering (controls, etc) so I might be able to compare data, or perhaps swap over parts should the battery prove unsuccessful. Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

9. Arashgha

Arashgha Rookie

May 5, 2015
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    Arash G
    The car shortly after threw at me a "Suspension Fault" along with an "Electrical System Failure". I noticed there's a fault in the cluster yet me diagnostic gear isn't good enough to see what the fault actually is it just came up with a fault with a description containing characters similar to hex digits. Nonetheless it made me concerned and I thought it's best to tackle the battery. I'd gone for a 100Ah Varta only in Oct 2018 but I decided to go for the trusty Amaron I'd had previous to the Varta (more starting power however a 90Ah) I'd had the previous one for 2 years, no trouble at all.

The problem seemed fixed until Friday evening 11-01-2018 an engine light pops, reading the faults revealed a thermostat fault. No biggie, and I could see the temps dropping at constant cruising so looking for a thermostat now. But the next morning (12-01-2019) the floodgate opened and an Electrical Systems Failure, an Airbag light, and EBD, Suspension, and a TPMS failure all pop. The TPMS were weak and I was waiting for them to pop before I'd replace them but couldn't think this all is due to a failing bunch of TPMS. Also, to make things stranger, the glovebox switch doesn't work. It worked a week before it so how all of a sudden that failed I'm puzzled.

I took it back to the dealer as I thought this all might have something to do with the work they'd done to diagnose the steering issue. My diagnostic gear doesn't reveal ABS and Airbag faults properly if I'm honest but one of the faults concerned the steering angle sensor, isn't that at the column?

Any help will be appreciated guys. It really is strange how all of a sudden, a very reliable car decided to turn all Italian. Thanks heaps.