Waikiki real estate? | FerrariChat

Waikiki real estate?

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by rkuo, Feb 4, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rkuo

rkuo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 17, 2009
    California
    I'm interested in acquiring a unit at the Trump for lifestyle and investment purposes. I obviously hate the dollars per sqft., but it also doesn't look like they are making any more land in the area.

Any opinions on the area and viability of the surrounding location? It doesn't seem to me like the real estate crash hit Waikiki as hard as other places.

2. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    Hawaii's real estate crash affected everyone. However, the Trump name is what keeps the place going and prices high. As an investment, are you planning to leave it in the hotel pool or will you keep it empty?

Here's a listing of current units for sale at Trump. Trump Tower Waikiki, 220 Beach Walk, Honolulu, Hawaii 96815

Another place is the Kahala Beach Apts, next door to the Kahala Resort, and across from Waialae Country Club. The complex is right on Kahala beach and is very comfortable. The downside is the property is leasehold and the lease rent is quite high. However, that also makes the buy in price very reasonable.

Kahala Beach, 4999 Kahala Ave, Honolulu, Hawaii 96816

3. rkuo

rkuo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 17, 2009
    California
    I would keep it in the pool. It looks like the lower units earn about 1k/month after taxes and hoa's. not sure about the ocean view units.

For what I'm looking for ... High flexibility on coming and going while still earning ... It has to be a condo hotel like the Trump, where they can book around a unit due to the large pool of rooms. I also prefer the area be nice, safe, and highly walkable ... That area seems to fit the bill, from what I've been told.

I took a look at the Ala Moana as well, but it was older and seemed to be mainly related in terms or location to the mall and not so much the beach.

Leasehold's I don't get.

4. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    Ala Moana can get you a decent income stream, but the area isn't that good. On the ocean side you have the shopping center, but on the mountain side there are strip bars and massage parlors. You look east and you have the convention center and other condos. On the west you have a strip mall, a few luxury condos, and some small businesses and nightclubs.

At Trump, once they bought up all the small walkups, the area improved. Also, since it is in Waikiki, you have a lot more police cruising around to make sure everyone is safe.

5. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    If you leave it in the rental pool read the contract...

No modifications... None of your own furniture... Forced renovations every 5-10 years to match the hotel rooms. I don't see any money there. You are giving them a free hotel room to rent out... With no risk...

Bo

6. rkuo

rkuo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 17, 2009
    California
    Doesn't have the cashflow ROI of a pure investment, but it's virtually zero hassle return and allows me to use it on very short notice. Hence classing it as a "lifestyle" investment. It's about as close as one can get to open usage without leaving it unoccupied and earning nothing at all.

I really could care less about having my own furniture. The stuff they pick out and maintain is much nicer than whatever I would put in there. There's usually an owner's closet to keep a few personal items if needed.

7. AMA328

AMA328 F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2002
    ABQ-67me68-OKC :)
    Stay away from the Ala Moana; I've stayed there, and while it's ok(not great), as mentioned above, it just doesn't fit the criteria of what one would want to own/rent out.

I've also noticed what someone posting above alluded to, which is that there's a lot of tired property in this area. Probably a result of 1960's-1980's development, which is getting a bit old these days. All that salt & moisture sure doesn't sit well with buildings...

As for Trump, best to keep two(at least) things in mind:

* Trump ain't no dummy, so assume that -everything- is setup in -his- favor and not in -yours-. No way is he gonna offer up something that's a real money-maker for you.

* Trump ain't gettin' any younger, and once he fades into the sunset/woodwork/ground, the lack of his mouth blaring forth can only mean that the 'luster'(if you can call it that) of Trump-ness will only fade. Now, it may take a while to do so, but it doesn't look like any of the kids are out there being as loud and obnoxious as he is, so who's gonna replace him?

I'm curious way down the road how long the family biz holds together after he's gone. Be interesting to see if any of the kiddos decide to cash out of the biz once they're free to do so.

One thing I learned the hard way from a timeshare deal I unfortunately got into several years ago was to check around online before parting with $cash$. You can get a realistic pic of the real estate situation by the number of resale offerings and prices. Too much stuff being dumped on the market is a red flag, for example. Also see if you find some postings from people who've jumped in ahead of you. You can learn a lot from other people's experiences(good & bad). Could be it's a good deal, but if so, I'd wanna see some reviews backing up that point.

8. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
  9. rkuo

rkuo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 17, 2009
    California
    I suppose at the end of the day it all comes down to money anyway ... minus the convenience of leaving personal stuff in your room.

Does anyone know what the typical condo cap rate is for a rental home or condo out there? Minus property management? It needs to be reliably hands off. if I have to manage it hands on that defeats the purpose of the whole thing.

10. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    The condotel market is kind of hard to predict. A friend had a unit in Waikiki and another one in the Ala Moana. He told me sometimes he'd clear $1500 in the AM, other months much less. A lot of it depends on which tower your unit is in. The Kona St tower typically rents for less because there is no ocean view. The view you have is of the mountain and the commercial areas on Kapiolani Blvd.

The biggest key is to know the hotel management and ask them how they rent out units. Is there a certain criteria for preferential rental (ocean view, even or odd floor number, high or low floor...)?

For a rental home/condo, it has to be leased for a minimum term of 6 months, due to our Transient Accommodations Tax law. If is is leased out, your typical hands off rental property is 10% commission. There are some that will manage for 8% commission. Just be careful regarding repairs and what you get charged.

11. rkuo

rkuo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 17, 2009
    California
    Ala Moana occupancy seems shaky. At least in the past year Trump has been fairly consistent with occupancy. Studios are averaging 80-85%.

Trump's stated policy is to implement an equitable rotation scheme (within 6 defined categories of units as far as studios go), but honoring customer requests. This is in line with other condo hotels I am familiar with. The taxes seem a bit onerous ... annoying, but I guess it's part and parcel.