Wake turbulence from 1000' above flips & totals a BizJet | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Wake turbulence from 1000' above flips & totals a BizJet

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by ///Mike, Mar 17, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    The primary component of wake turbi that is the focus of most warnings and reports is due to wingtip vortices. These flow outward and downward from the tip. Thus in your pic the receiving aircraft is inboard and above the wingtip vortex.

2. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Do winglets or other tip devices have any effect; affect shape, direction or intensity of vortices?

3. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    From what I understand about with winglets is that they keep the higher pressure from spilling over the wing tip creating drag caused by a larger vortex. The winglet helps to direct the high pressure away from the top of the wing creating a smaller vortex and reducing drag.

Newer wing designs allow for less vortex drag without the use of a winglet by sweeping back the tips I.E. 787. While older wing designs have winglets added so the entire wing does not need a redesign I.E. 737NG and Max.

4. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Lots of debate on that between the parties involved, infused heavily with 'non-invented here' bias.

NG required some changes and or a reinforcement kit installed.

5. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    about the jet being totaled. Does this mean the wings where bent? Or is it just that once you pass x gs it is assumed something is bent/cracked/weakened?