Walking | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Walking

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by TheMayor, May 25, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
    Plateau’s will happen with any weight loss program. Keep at it and the results will come….

Did you misstep or simply overstressed your tendons? Aka not enough rest / tendonitis? Perhaps getting an ankle brace could help.
    Or, even better go to. A really good therapist. A good one as there are a ton of ****ty ones that make you do a few body weights squats and send you home!
    I wouldn’t be able to exercise if I didn’t see mine every month/ month and a half!

Skidkid and TheMayor like this.
  2. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Stiffer soles make uneven surfaces MUCH easier, that includes gravel. Shoes don't last that long when you are putting in a lot of miles: good quality hiking shoes last a lot longer. Going slow to not reinjure is a good call. It can only set you back in getting to your goal. Hang in there, we are all pulling for you.

TheMayor likes this.
  3. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Time for another update. Today was weigh in day.

I took the week off from walking to get my foot and ankle to heal and it seems like they have. I went for a one hour easy walk this morning in my original NewBalance shoes (the ones that seemed too tight and gave me blisters) and I really had no issues at all. Lets see how it feels in the morning.

Seems like the weight loss has shrink my shoe size about 1/4. 11's were too big, 10 1/2 too small. Now 10 1/2 seems like the correct fit with 11's waaaay too big.

But here is the good news. I still lost weight this week. I'm down to within 2.5 lbs of 200. About 35-40 since I started. With a bit of luck this next week I can break through.

Just to make sure my scale wasn't screwed up I decided to try on some clothes in my closest that I hadn't worn in years. And -- they fit! I don't mean like I can put them on and squeeze in. I mean they fit and look proper. No more "fat" clothes. My belt buckle is on the last notch and getting a little loose. 5 inches off my waist.

Now I've found some clothes that I haven't worn in 10-12 years as my next "goal" try on. I figure another 20lbs.

So, all good!

4. You're an inspiration my friend.

Keep up the good work.

timjen88 and TheMayor like this.
  5. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
    It’s more then “ all good”; it’s amazing!

I can imagine the pride you felt when trying on those clothes. Nothing generally is more motivating to have something so visible as old clothes.
    And as you say “ no more fat clothes” .

I hope this thread will live on for many years and keep on inspiring the silent majority!

timjen88, TheMayor and Skidkid like this.
  6. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Well done !

You haven't stated unless i have missed it are you also talking any vitamins etc ?

Can I offer some insight to what I have been doing for years. Never have breakfast but to hold me through my 18hr fast is to eat a lemon.

I blend a whole lemon, whole skin, pith, seeds in water in a blender ( billet ) Add some stevia. One of the best ways to get all the vitamin C you need and natural and a excellent source of fibre.

Best thing it will make you feel satiated , not break your fasting and tastes ok with all the benefits.

Having several lemon trees we are never looking for lemons :)

7. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
    If it makes you feel good to drink that whole lemon, then by all means keep doing it.....
    Technically though 1 whole lemon contains too much calories/carbs and will break your fast.

Gh21631 likes this.
  8. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Well, there is no longer a 2 for the first number on my scale! I hit another frustrating plateau but finally broke through this morning.

My new shoes are pretty good but I hurt my knee somehow. Took a few days off but it still hurts a bit when I walk. Still I went out the last 2 days. Nothing is going to stop me.

Il Steeg, fatbillybob and Skidkid like this.
  9. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Congratulations!! You are great. Hang in there.

Il Steeg and TheMayor like this.
  10. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
    You keep moving 'the scale' in more ways than another and keep on inspiring us.

Il Steeg, TheMayor and Skidkid like this.
  11. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Very impressive results! I’m going to try to follow in your foot steps.
    I’ve been seeing a physical therapist for knee and hip pain. He says one of the best things you can do for you knees is bike riding because it has a larger range of motion than walking and that is good for blood flow to the knee and also it is not supporting the weight of your body. You might try bike riding a soulless of times a week.

TheMayor likes this.
  12. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
    Correct, bike riding is an 'impact-less' way of moving.
    I'm sure biomechanical experts will also mention that the overall fitness implications of walking or riding a bike at the same heart rate are different.
    But the fact that you can move (ride) without pain and can easy increase heart rate surely do add a nice twist to your daily routine.

Skidkid and Ak Jim like this.
  13. timjen88

timjen88 Karting

Aug 20, 2015
    Colorado/Palm Springs
    Anyone I have ever talked to about the subject of bike vs. walk/tread said you should to both, double the benefit, different motion/different muscle building.

14. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I have officially lost 40 lbs. :)

Still want another 25-30.

Il Steeg, Face76, Skidkid and 3 others like this.
  15. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
    BOOM!
    Goals checked!
    Motivation +100

TheMayor likes this.
  16. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    You have this nailed. Once you do a routine for several months your are likely to keep doing it. There is another break point at maybe 12-18 months where it is easy to stop. Push through that and you are hooked for life. GREAT JOB!

17. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Down 45 lbs now. Pretty happy about that. Checked by official "government BMI" index and I moved from "Obese" into the "Overweight' category.

Still on track for my 170-ish goal for the end of the year. Seems like most of the weight is lost by changing eating habits and a bit of a boost from exercise. Also 18 hr fasting with apple cider vinegar. Whatever it is, its still working.

Skidkid and GTHill like this.
  18. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
    It’s a combination of factors.
    Mostly caloric restriction indeed; everything else is just added on top.
    BTW don’t trust the BMI index. It’s an outdated method that doesn’t factor body composition in.
    Look at the mirror.

TheMayor likes this.
  19. andy308

andy308 Formula 3

Jan 16, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Congrats Mayor, great job. Let's see some before and after pics.

20. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #95 TheMayor, Oct 10, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2022
    No. :)

After pics when I finish. :)

I had to cut another hole in my belt today. Its possible by the end of the week I'll be in the 80's. For years and years I hovered around 225-230. Went up during Covid.

Skidkid, Maximus1973 and andy308 like this.
  21. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    All I can say is RESPECT! So many talk about stuff but don't really commit. Change takes commitment and pushing yourself to keep going, even through the lulls & plateaus that inevitably happen. OK, that is what drive success with anything/everything. You get in the game every day: commitment, dedication, a specific goal, refusing to fail. Need I go on?

TheMayor likes this.
  22. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Started walking 5 miles again this week after taking some time off for my knee to heal. For the first time in a long time I can walk the distance without pain before or after. My latest shoes seem to have solved the foot problems I was having. My walking speed is improving.

Finally broke under 190 lbs. Very happy about that. Still on track for my goal of the end of the year.

mikesufka and Skidkid like this.
  23. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
    Perseverance is not about pushing forward when things are easy. Its what you do after you suffer a set back.
    You pick yourself up and just start moving forward at whatever pace.
    The fact that you keen on going is an example to everyone .

I hope you keep on keeping us updated on your journey and that the mods here will pin this thread as it’s a prime example of how to make a lifestyle change.

You do need to realize that the burden of being/becoming a role model now also rests on your shoulders… ;-)

Skidkid likes this.
  24. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    Maybe I missed it, but what was your weight when you started? Impressive story - congratulations.

MDS

25. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Right about 240. Just under 190 now. Want to get down to about 160-170.

Skidkid and mikesufka like this.