Walnut Creek Maserati Dealership - Avoid | FerrariChat

Walnut Creek Maserati Dealership - Avoid

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by poljav, Mar 22, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. poljav

poljav F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Pol J.
    #1 poljav, Mar 22, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
    All - just wanted to let the forum know about our very bad ongoing issue with WC Maserati Dealership and Maserati USA:

I bought the wife the Levante in June 2017. It is a piece of sh%t, has been in the service shop on and off since late August 2017. Myriad of issues from electric to software, lots of gremlins on the unit we happen to get. Main issue is the car pops from either Drive or Reverse into Neutral while driving for no apparent reason, you can imagine the danger - NHTSA has an active recall for the this issue with the Ghibli and "some" Levante - so if you own one please check. We first experience the issue back in Sep 2017 and still dealing with until now. So many issues on how this is being handled by Maserati USA and WC dealership.

Dealership service manager did not even know about the recall until I showed him the NHTSA notice in October when it happened the second time. When it happened in Sep, wife was told "maybe" that the shifter was accidentally hit - and they have not heard of the issue happening before - the NHTSA bulletin was first published back in Oct 2016. In Oct they tell us they've "downloaded" the info from the car and will send to Maserati for more info. Weeks go by no word, and I do all of the follow-ups. November - it happens again, we take it in, the service tech was able to experience it when he drove, spoke to the Manager, so now its recorded in the service history - we leave the car as they wait for Maserati's advice. Weeks go by, am told, per Maserati - software is in the works and will be available before year-end and drive the car in Sport to bypass the issue? January 2018 comes and me following up, no follow-up call from service at all - software will now be available mid-Feb - comes and goes - I finally called Maserati USA to get an explanation - get "should be by end of Feb" - up until today no time-table on when "fix" will be available - frustrating part is, if I do not follow-up, nothing from either Maserati or Dealership. It is now March 22 - guess what - car is back in the shop because battery keeps going dead, this is another ongoing issue while wait for the "neutral fix" - so much so that we've used up our allocated "free battery jump" from Triple A roadside service for the year - what does the service manager tell us - we have no idea - oh, first couple of times it happened - car was parked in an inclined on our driveway - manager said back then its a software issue and an upload should fix it - this was back in January - I'm in talks with my attorney of what our options are. I get that we got a bad unit - but its how its being dealt with is really the issue - During this ordeal I've put in multiple calls into the dealership higher-ups with no follow-up whatsoever. So my advice is avoid WC Maserati, I usually refrain from giving these type of "reviews" but I thought I'd share and it may help someone else to not have to go through it. Rant Over!

paulchua and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  2. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Shameful!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. butcher

butcher Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    Castro Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Albert
    That sucks Pol. Get rid of it and get a model X for the wife and you will not be disappointed. Besides the car itself, I have had A+ service from Tesla for the 3 years that I have had my model S. Last month my portable charging cable started to malfunction, so Tesla promptly drove a new one to my home at no cost. My automatic door handle was malfunctioning, and Tesla has a mobile service that will come to your house or business and will replace the handle mechanism at no cost. One time during a service appointment a tech forgot to remove his dirty gloves and left a little stain on my upgraded beige alcantara headliner. I notified the dealership and they promptly tried to clean it and felt it was not up to thei standards and they replaced the whole headliner at no cost.

In the past, I debated getting a Ghibli QF for my DD, but decided on the Tesla after driving both cars.

4. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    Sorry that you purchased rather than leased your Maserati. If you think that this is a problem, wait until you try to sell it.

Posted from deep in the Hollow.

LI2782 likes this.
  5. poljav

poljav F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Pol J.
    Albert:

Yeah, I'm having her look at the Tesla's.

Spoke again yesterday with WC to see if I can get someone there to work with and same response - got passed from one "manager" to another, "we have your information and someone will be in touch". I am going to formally file a complaint with Maserati USA to buy back and see how that goes.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  6. exoticcardreamer

exoticcardreamer Formula 3

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    No idea what the point of your posting is or actually these types of postings in general! I guess car forums are now used by people to vent and shame companies/business.

I have dealt with Walnut Creek on the Bentley side of things. From what I remember they are/were the biggest maserati dealer in Northern California.

The recall that you speak of was posted on the NHTSA website and affected cars before you took delivery of your car (once a recall happens like this then any cars not delivered to customers have to be fixed before they can be sold/delivered to customers). Interestingly enough it affects cars when they are travelling below 2 MPH.

All that being said; if the software issue still exists then the solution on all these cars would not have worked and there are a few thousand of them that were affected. The dealer wouldn't be able to respond to you because this issue is something that has to come from maserati and they are probably trying to determine if something needs to be fixed based on not only your experience but if others have also reported it. Perhaps, no one else has reported it since the fix.

With regards to AAA. How come you aren't using Maserati Roadside Assistance?

From NHTSA (zero consumer complaints by the way. perhaps you should write to them with your complaints.
    4 Recallsfor 2017 MASERATI LEVANTE
    FILTER RECALLS BY AFFECTED COMPONENTS

All (4)BACK OVER PREVENTION (1)ELECTRICAL SYSTEM (3)ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING (1)SEATS (1)
    March 13, 2017 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 17V161000
    Software error may cause Shift to Neutral or Stall
    If the transmission shifts into neutral unexpectedly or if the engine shuts down without warning, it can increase the risk of a crash.

January 20, 2017 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 17V046000
    Seat Wiring Harness may Short Circuit
    An electrical short can increase the risk of a fire.

December 28, 2016 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 16V936000
    Transmission May Shift into Neutral
    If the transmission unexpectedly shifts to neutral, or the engine shuts down, there is an increased risk of a crash.

November 18, 2016 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 16V839000
    Back-Up Camera Disabled in Very Cold Temperatures
    If the back-up camera is inoperable, it may be more difficult for the operator to see people or objects behind the vehicle, increasing the risk of injury or crash.

You should perhaps look at Tesla since someone mentioned it here and see how many complaints that consumers have written.

7. poljav

poljav F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Pol J.
    Point of posting is to share information and hope it helps someone avoid the same issues in the future. Call what you want, but its information I wanted to share and everyone is free to comment, agree or not, that is the whole point of a forum.

Not relevant

As I've stated, we got a bad unit, but it does not explain the issues I've stated, no follow-ups, no answers as to when, given the run around. More to your point, its a known issue, why can't they fix my unit after 6 months from the first occurrence? Also, I've experience the issue above 2 mph, on one occurrence it may have been between 9-10 mph in a parking lot.

We actually did not know about Maserati's Roadside, I'm sure were told just never registered.

8. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

I think u are totally right to ***** about it.
    Dealer, u would be surprised, read this!
    I bought a car from ferrari of orlando and wasn’t happy. I posted and next day they called to help (still a poor performance from them.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. natman316

natman316 Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2015
    While I'm also personally not a fan of the dealer (didnt seem that friendly when I checked out the cars, but never did business with them), this sounds more like a product issue? Could you lemon law the car? that seems like a pain. I always think the new Maserati are a "cool" alternative to the usual Germans, but everytime I drive them I do agree they are pieces of crap (Ghibli, Levante).

10. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Not only is the OP "not a problem", it serves a benefit to the community. Its certainly within the scope of a car forum subject matter. That said, some posts of that nature reveal more about the OP than the dealership. Most depict a two-sided mess. Some - like this one - are written unemotionally and attempt to convey facts (issues with the car, lack of fix, lack of responsiveness by the maser people). Good luck the OP in getting his car fixed or another satisfactory conclusion.

11. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    RE: Lemon Law --

It depends on the particular state's law. In Illinois, if a problem that has been taken to the authorized dealer for that marque hasn't been resolved within three visits in a one year time period, that car is then ELIGIBLE for Lemon Law arbitration and replacement with a brand new vehicle.

12. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    terrible - definitely check if this qualifies for the Lemon Law, sorry for your headaches.

13. tr328

tr328 Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2003
    Pacifica, California
    Full Name:
    Darryl
    Poljav,
    Good luck and thanks for the post!

14. poljav

poljav F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Pol J.
    Thanks guys. Contacted Maserati NA and they said they would work with us, see how it goes. I've thought about the "lemon law" which is pretty straightforward in CA, and our unit definitely qualifies, hopefully Maserati will make it right, if not, abritration via LL, is the only other option.

15. poljav

poljav F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Pol J.
    Just to close out this thread - after much back and forth since my last post, having an attorney involved and Maserati NA's heehawing - they finally did the right thing and replaced our car with a 2018 unit - not totally happy or got what I wanted, but it was enough to put it to bed. Again, the dealership wasn't much help, only involvement was to process the trade paperwork and still really disappointed with them, they didn't advocate on our behalf - "their customer", anyways, case closed.