Walter Mitty Road Atlanta Ferrari Coral May-2-3-4: Plus Parade Laps | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Walter Mitty Road Atlanta Ferrari Coral May-2-3-4: Plus Parade Laps

Discussion in 'South Central - USA (TN, MS, AL, GA)' started by Juan-Manuel Fantango, Apr 22, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. L8Braker

L8Braker Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Asheville NC
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Stafford
    Anyone going to be there friday? I will already be in the area so I'll probably be at the track by 11am. Will have the wife's MDX though...nothing sporty *8^(

2. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I'm planning on being there on Friday and Sat... look out for the FCA banner and Ferrari Flags...

3. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Based in part on the current weather forecast, I'll probably be there on Friday and Sunday.

4. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    #29 Juan-Manuel Fantango, May 1, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. mcswrks

mcswrks Rookie

Apr 10, 2008
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Thomas Bonatz
    Cars there yesterday were amazing. Several Champ cars and formula one cars. Also several mid 90's Le Mans sports prototypes, a Rothmans 956, two Audi R8s, plenty of stock cars, and just about everything in between.

6. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Hail is forecast for Saturday...so set aside your deductible and put Bo on Standby...

7. Back Marker

Back Marker Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2006
    South
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Hail ???? I hope not.

The channel 2 guy just said on the noon news he expects the storm to lose it's punch by the time it gets here. We don't need any more stinking hail.

8. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Tell me about out...Bo had to PDR or repair and paint 127 hail dings on my wife's 2008 Honda Odyssey just last month! 750am's Kirk Melish said this morning to expect some hail in the Atlanta area tomorrow

9. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    One reason I'm staying close to home tomorrow, and waiting until Sunday to go back out to the Road.....

10. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    It was a fun day today under perfect skies. Some may complain about the fact that Historic Grand Prix only managed to bring 10 cars (of which only 9 saw the track), but that's about 7 more than we've ever had before, and these were successful cars: Stewart's Tyrrell 003, Hunt's McLaren M23, and Jones' Williams FW07 among them. So rather than complain, let's give HGP our thanks for coming, and maybe they'll be encouraged to come back with more cars.

I did ask one of their people about the lack of numbers, particularly the Ferraris, and he said that some of the cars went to Europe to get ready for the Monaco Historic Grand Prix next weekend. I saw my man Bud Moeller sitting in his '79 Ensign instead of his Ferrari, and he ruefully told me that the T5's engine was being rebuilt. I could tell from the tone of his voice that he would rather have been able to bring the Ferrari!

After the first practice session, I asked Bud about Road Atlanta, and he said that (as I suspected) it was his first time here and he loved the track. He talked to his mechanic about adjusting the downforce on the Ensign because he was getting wheelspin accelerating out of certain corners. (BTW, Bud's helmet is painted like Gilles Villeneuve's, for obvious reasons, but he admitted that it looked out of place in the Ensign, which at least is also painted red. The name on the car was....Derek Daly!)

11. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    #36 Gatorrari, May 2, 2008
    Here's the first photos from today. The Larrousse Lola in the first pic, which had been at the Mitty before, was not part of HGP's group because it was actually too new! Whereas HGP ran as Group 1, this car ran in Group 4 with the other big open-wheeled cars: Indycars, F5000 and Formula Atlantic, among others.

Notice that some gasoline is up to nearly $9 per gallon. And I have no idea what that old dragster was doing there!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. F355Bvc

F355Bvc Formula 3

Dec 4, 2003
    Lawrenceville. GA
    Full Name:
    Vince Canipelli
    I believe the complaints were for the FALSE advertising, that may entice some people to come out expecting to see the 30+, F1 cars advertised. I found the IMSA GTP cars to be the stars of the show today! they were awesome and these guys got serious !

13. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Vince, who's guilty of "FALSE advertising"? Road Atlanta never mentioned any numbers, and neither did Historic Grand Prix. The only person who mentioned "20 to 30" was me, and for that I apologize, as I was being "excitedly optimistic". And personally, I am only slightly disappointed in the numbers, only in the lack of Ferraris, for which there are apparently valid reasons. So don't blame Road Atlanta or HGP........

P.S. I ate dinner at Casa Nuova in Alpharetta, and they had a wine on their list named, incredibly, "Used Automobile Parts"! Know anything about it, Vince?

14. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    #39 Gatorrari, May 3, 2008
    Here's another round of photos from yesterday. The first one shows the remarkable sight of 3 not-so-vintage Audi R8s under one awning; the last shows "Gilles Villeneuve" (Bud Moeller) contemplating his first laps around Road Atlanta in the ex-Derek Daly Ensign.

And the Corvette in the 8th photo is wrenched by a co-worker of mine named Jerry; he's standing on the right. He and the owner-driver were trying to diagnose an electrical glitch that was causing the brake lights to short out. They must have found it, since the car did make the afternoon practice session.

15. Back Marker

Back Marker Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2006
    South
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Nice pics as usual, Jim.

Wish I had been able to go ...

16. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    #41 Gatorrari, May 3, 2008
    Another set, starting with a photo of a steering wheel from the time when that's all it did - steer the car! Only one button on it. The light blue car is a Healey Silverstone, a car type I don't think I've ever seen before. Reminds me of Allards I've seen.

Also, the first shots of the corrals. As you can see, the Italian and British corrals were side-by-side. The TVR is probably a rarer car than any of our Ferraris!

17. F355Bvc

F355Bvc Formula 3

Dec 4, 2003
    Lawrenceville. GA
    Full Name:
    Vince Canipelli
    You are not to blame, Jim. The on line ad for the MITTY mentioned , "45, F1 cars, racing for the first time at Rd Atl." http://speedfest.classicmotorsports.net/#commercial
    also some people mentioned they also heard the ad on local radio.

Can't help you with that wine, Jim.

18. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I was disapointed with the number of F-1 cars per their web site... but it was nice to see more than one or two... so guess I cant complain...

the IMSA / WSC cars were definately the stars of the show.. the race today was great... some of those guys were putting in competitive 1:16 times.... thats FAST at Road Atlanta!

great as always hanging out with Vince & Mark, good to have spent time with Tommy today as well!

Cheers!

Tom

19. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I guess Classic Motorsports was also "excitedly optimisitic"! Based on the past showings of Historic Grand Prix -- I've seen their traveling road show at Watkins Glen, Ste. Jovite and Laguna Seca -- I would have expected 15 to 20 cars tops; maybe if they come back (and try to encourage them!), they will approach that. But even the 10 they brought is a start.

The GTP/WSC cars certainly did put on a good show, though I wish they had attracted more Can Am cars. There were certainly some indecently fast cars: the Williams FW07 in group 1 and the Adrian Fernandez Champ Car in group 4, to name a couple. Should be some good racing tomorrow, and as a certain Terminator once said, I'll be back!

Vince, you ought to see about getting us some "Used Automobile Parts". We Ferrari owners can use all the help we can get! :D

20. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    It's been a fun weekend.

Thank goodness the weather today behaved. It rained a little in the morning but it never really amounted to anything and the afternoon was MUCH cooler because of the clouds.

It sure looked a lot worse on radar when I woke up, though. I ended up being the only Ferrari out there surrounded by tons of Lotus

21. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    #46 Gatorrari, May 3, 2008
    Here are some more shots from Friday of the corrals. Highlight of the day was when "Juan-Manuel" rolled up in the Great White Bull, a rather unique Diablo SVR, a sub-type I had not seen before.

A note about the ex-Jackie Stewart Lola T260 in the second photo: back in 1971, when that car ran in the Can Am race on this track, I was attending a hobby convention at the Hyatt Regency downtown. As the convention wrapped up on Saturday evening and my flight back to Miami on Sunday was quite late, I hoped to get out to the track to see the race, but, alas, no transportation was available. So my first race had to wait another 4 years, and that would be at Watkins Glen.

22. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    #47 Gatorrari, May 4, 2008
    These are the last of my infield pics from Friday, including a bloodthirsty Miata! Hopefully I'll get a few more today.

The next-to-last photo is just to show the revisions to the outside pit lane entrance and the "motorcycle chicane".

23. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Sorry we missed you after your "techinical Assistance" over at Don Ball... Any issues from the un wiring?

24. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Way to go guys! The diehards and hardtails come to see a specticle worth seeing. Dr. Tommy, thanks for putting the car out in the rain! And to Doug for bringing the 599 today.

Same for Robert Ball at Supercars, he actually had the courage to let me drive the monster-that mighty SVR. I am sorry for all who don't get that chance, the sound, feeling, the fury, everything about it is raw....What an event!

25. Bill Sawyer

Bill Sawyer Formula 3

Feb 26, 2002
    Georgia
    HSR expected a far better turnout of Historic GP cars than they got; but they didn't factor in the draw of the Monaco event. When you're dealing at this level, the cost of shipping a car to Europe can be offset by the fun/ego gratification of racing on one of the world's premier tracks.

I was also disappointed by the Ford turn out. There wasn't a single Ford GT that raced and only one Cobra that I saw.

Even so, I had a great time. Seeing even a half-dozen F-1 cars is a treat, and it brought back memories from my days seeing each of those cars race in the day at Mosport and the Glen.