Want to be healthy? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Want to be healthy?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Ruski, May 30, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kali

kali Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2007
    Full Name:
    Elle
    good point.

I'll just make some popcorn (get cancer in the process), and watch the show.

2. Protouring442

Protouring442 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    Harriman, TN
    Full Name:
    One Stupid SOB
    I think your friend might have some oral hygiene issues to go with his Coke-a-cola habit. The only water I drink is club soda, and I drink quite a bit of soda (and have since I was a teen), yet I am thin (still wear the same size pants I wore in high school no less) and have had only one new cavity since I was in Jr. High.

Of course, the fact that I do otherwise eat a fairly healthy diet, don't smoke, and have never been drunk, might count for some something.

And like someone posted earlier, everything is toxic if consumed in a large enough quantity, even water.

Shiny Side Up!
    Bill

3. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Hehe, you remember Daniel? :D:D

Nah, am talking about another friend Sasha.

But yes, Daniel is another fool. His diet is REALLY REALLY bad. Chips and gravy, Macca's, KFC etc.etc.

Daniel also only drinks Coke at home, but at work (underground) he drinks water. On his days off though, he only drinks Coke.............with Bundy rum in it. :p:p

His teeth are actually still quite good. But his diet is a disgrace. He spends a lot of money eating junk, well over $200 a week from memory just on fast food. He will also have a heart attack by the time he is 50 because his arteries will be chocka-block. :(:(

Oddly enough Bill, he doesnt have bad breath or anything like that. But some of his teeth are really yellow, some are going dark/rotting. :(:(

He doesnt visit the dentist either. **shudder**

Another friend of ours almost lost his life when his stomach lining was eaten away by only drinking Coke. :eek::eek:

My other friend used to drink 4L a day, 2x 2L bottles. Took one to work in the morning and drank one at home. Did this for over 10 yrs and one day he started complaining about bad stomach pains.

Didnt visit Doc till he cramped up and collapsed on the floor at home. His Dad called the Ambo's who rushed him to hospital. They flew him out to have major surgery. He survived, I forget exactly why he could have died, but he lived and now drinks water. His teeth are all ****ed too.

My friend Sasha drinks around 2.5 L of Coke per day. 2x 1.25L bottles, give or take a can or two inbetween. :D:D

4. Protouring442

Protouring442 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    Harriman, TN
    Full Name:
    One Stupid SOB
    Wow... I kind of wonder about the stomach problems/Coke link though, when you consider that pure stomach bile will heat a hole in the hood of your car! Sounds like maybe an untreated ulcer (frequently caused by a bacterial infection)?

I wish I could drink water... ice cold it tastes so nice, but for me drinking it is akin to eating super spicy food. You know, you like it while you're eating it, but the heartburn you get from it is just too much to take. Apparently it is an acid reflux thing I inherited from my father. Thanks dad. :)

Shiny Side Up!
    Bill

5. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Yeah, I dont know mate. That is the story he give us.

I also remember my Dad 20 yrs ago telling me one of his work mates used to drink 2x 1L glass bottles of Coke at work everyday for nearly 20 yrs.

He eventually died. Dad said one day his friend went home from work with stomach pains and he never came back to work. They flew him to Brisbane for an emergency operation and he died on the operating table. Everyone said the Coke rotted his guts Dad said.

So I dont know if it is possible, but there must be a connection there somewhere.

My Dad used to tell my Brother and I this story when we used to drink too many cans of Coke at home when we were kids. :eek::eek:

6. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    #31 F1Ace, Jun 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
    Hey Bill,

I have read about, and purchased several products that could turn that around.
    If you are interested PM me and I'll explain what it is and where to get it. Once
    you understand a few basic concepts you'll be amazed at what profound changes
    you can make, and quite simply I might add.

I used to drink over a liter of Coke a day, and once I tried one of these products
    I cut that down to almost nothing without even trying.

Cheers!
    Wes

7. Ruski

Ruski Karting
    BANNED

Dec 17, 2009
    Chemtralia
    Do post it here please...

Pap, that's scary how your mates are rotting their guts with coke and some even dying. I can't remember the last time I had coke really. I did drink half a can of Sunkist on the weekend and had to out it down cos it just didn't have the same buzz anymore, green tea and lemon/lime distilled water FTW :D

In regards to junk food, there is a good saying:

You can eat whatever you like 10% of the time, as long as for the other 90% you eat healthy. Off course eating "healthy" can mean totally different things to all of us. And this is where education is vital to all of us. Most can't be bothered and let the governments and doctors and media dictate what they should or can eat. No wonder our population is so sick :D

8. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Good to have you back. ;);)

Yeah man, scary stuff. I just finished a can of coke myself. :D:D

I dont normally drink it, but I have it with my Jim Beam. I said to Nicole it's sad that I have to mix it with alcohol.

9. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    #34 F1Ace, Jun 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    I am all for being healthy...taking care of yourself is important.

"Never see a western medicine doctor", "Stop all of your prescription meds", I see problems with.

Now, I respect your beliefs. As such, I expect you to honor them. I suspect you may be younger than most on this board, but perhaps I am wrong...

So, please be consistent, as this will enhance everyones respect for you on this board.

If you ever break your leg, please make sure you don't go to the ER. I suspect you will be taking two multivitamins and shark cartilige instead.

If you ever hit your head playing sports, I would expect you to decline a head CT/MRI, and rub nature lotions on your head instead.

Should you ever get acute shortness of breath and chest pain, make sure you have access to the proper vitamins to unocclude that coronary artery...

When you get that pneumonia that can be treated with 4$ of precription meds, please be consistent and just let it smolder...it might go away on its own

Heaven forbid your appendix rupture, please choose the right topical body wash to treat it.

I respect your position, and am sure you will honor it. Until, that is, you need actual care...

11. Protouring442

Protouring442 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    Harriman, TN
    Full Name:
    One Stupid SOB
    Nothing like a chart full of junk science promoting a junk product.

From Wikipedia on Stomach Acid: Gastric acid is a digestive fluid, formed in the stomach. It has a pH of 1 to 2 and is composed of hydrochloric acid (HCl) (around 0.5%, or 5000 parts per million)

And an article on body PH from the Wellness Letter

Acid-lowering supplements

Claims, Benefits: Reducing acidity in the body can prevent most chronic diseases.

Bottom Line: You don’t need any special acid-lowering diets or supplements—there’s no evidence they are effective.

Full Article, Wellness Letter, May 2006:

The pH Theory of Health

If you’re trying to eat a healthy diet, you have a lot to keep track of. Do you get enough vitamins, minerals, and fiber (soluble and insoluble)? Enough good fat (from nuts, olive oil, and fish) and not too much bad fat (from meat)? And don’t forget all those phytochemicals that you need to stay healthy.

But what about the acid/alkaline balance of your foods—do you need to consider that, too? Many articles, websites, and ads claim that an acid-boosting diet is unhealthy—perhaps even the cause of most diseases, from cancer and arthritis to depression and diabetes—and they promote special diets or supplements (with names such as Acid2Alkaline or Buffer-pH+) to keep your body from becoming too acidic.

Most of these claims are farfetched or even nonsensical. However, as with many fad diets and supplements, there’s a kernel of truth within them. Research has shown that diet can influence the acidity/alkalinity of the body and that this may affect bone health.

Acidity and alkalinity are measured by the pH scale, which goes from 0 to 14; 7 is neutral, and lower numbers indicate increasing acidity, higher numbers alkalinity. The body keeps its acid balance in the normal range several ways. Acid is excreted by the kidneys and also reduced via exhalation of carbon dioxide. And most important, as far as bone health goes, the body buffers the blood (that is, neutralizes acidity in it) by releasing calcium compounds, which are alkaline.

Where diet comes in

The typical Western diet is high in animal protein, which increases the acidity of blood slightly. Fruits and vegetables reduce blood acidity—that is, make it more alkaline. It’s not that meat is acidic, but rather that it contains acid-forming compounds, such as amino acids and phosphorus. Similarly, fruits and vegetables have alkaline-forming compounds (even though many of them taste acidic).

Laboratory studies have shown that an acid-boosting diet can indeed cause bones to release calcium; alkaline-forming foods help prevent this loss. People who eat lots of fruits and vegetables tend to have stronger bones, and this may help explain why. Thus, studies have found that the blood-pressure-lowering DASH diet, which is rich in fruits and vegetables, helps reduce calcium loss.

What about the effect of other foods? Nuts, legumes, some grains (such as rice, pasta, and corn flakes), hard cheeses, and eggs increase acidity; milk and yogurt apparently do not. Sodas, because of the phosphorus they contain, are also high on the acid scale, which is why some studies have linked a very high soda consumption to weaker bones.

There is controversy, however, about how significant the effect of an acid-boosting diet is on bones and the risk of osteoporosis, especially in people who consume adequate amounts of calcium. Since the kidneys help reduce acidity, and kidney function does decline with age, some researchers believe that an acid-boosting diet may help explain some of the bone loss in older people. But so many factors affect bone health—including genetics, physical activity, and many nutrients—that it’s hard to tease out the effect of an acid-boosting diet.

Words to the wise: You don’t need any special acid-lowering diets or supplements—there’s no evidence they are effective. Just consume lots of fruits and vegetables, and limit your meat intake. But there are plenty of other good reasons to do that.

UC Berkeley Wellness Letter, May 2006

Shiny Side Up!
    Bill

12. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Has anyone ever had a snake oil colonic?

13. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    So then, drink all the Coke you want, you won't rot your gut.

Good luck with that.

Wes

14. Protouring442

Protouring442 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    Harriman, TN
    Full Name:
    One Stupid SOB
    Well, due to not wanting to get fat, I don't drink all that much, my usual drink is Club Soda with lemon and lime juice.

Nonetheless, the chart you posted puts "colas" in the 2.3 range while stomach acid is in the 1 to 2 range. Now, I don;t know about you, but that seems to me to indicate that my stomach should "rot my gut" much faster than Coke will.

The product your website is pushing is an alkaline, and as such it would, in theory and probably in practice, help someone who produces too much acid, alkaline being the opposite of acid. It will not help regulate the PH of my body and cure all sorts of diseases however.

Thus, I think I was perhaps a bit too harsh. If you are recommending alkaline water for the purpose of counteracting too much stomach acid, it may well help (though it would be about the same thing as chewing a few Tums). However, I am highly suspicious of any website claiming a need to, or selling a product for, "detoxifying" my body, I already have kidneys and a liver thank you very much, and they do that job just fine. I would be just as suspicious of any website claiming that can help me with car maintenance while trying to sell me one of those "fuel catalysts."

Shiny Side Up!
    Bill

15. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    Bill, you can't even drink water, you're in such poor health,
    and YOU'RE going to lecture ME on health!?!

I don't think so.

Good luck.

Wes

16. Protouring442

Protouring442 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    Harriman, TN
    Full Name:
    One Stupid SOB
    #41 Protouring442, Jun 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
    You provide a link to some hokey "detoxify your body" website (that I frankly suspect you run, or are at least a distributor for) and you're upset when I call BS?

As for my "poor health," I'm 42, weigh within 10lbs of what I did when I graduated high school (140lbs), have good blood pressure, good cholesterol, and good blood sugar. Yeah, I'm on death's door because I have acid reflux all right.

You don't happen to think mercury amalgam fillings cause MS, do you?

Shiny Side Up!
    Bill

17. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
  18. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    I have nothing to do with that site, or those products. If you calmed down to
    actually read what I said, I never said to use that product. I only said to see
    where coke is on the scale.

But no, the thought of a natural remedy was so offensive to you that you just
    couldn't wait to throw my good intentions in my face. You have been exceedingly
    rude to me, someone who was only trying to help. That was going to be one of
    two posts with suggestions to help people get off coke, and for your issue, but
    I will not post any further on the subject.

Sorry to have offended you to such an extent. I hope pills solve all your problems
    in the future.

Regards,
    Wes

19. wilson2558

wilson2558 Rookie

Jun 10, 2011
    I am very thin and everyone teases me and i want to become healthy. Please provide me tips to become healthy.

20. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    I don't know if this is your issue, but this website comes to mind.
    http://www.crohns-disease-probiotics.com/CureforCrohns.html
    Have a read. I think the product they are talking about
    is also known as Probiotics. Many to choose from at iHerb.com.

Best!
    Wes

21. Ruski

Ruski Karting
    BANNED

Dec 17, 2009
    Chemtralia
    #46 Ruski, Jun 10, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
    Thanks matey :)

Jim Beam and Coke... little portions, are always a OK :D

You do realise what's the most important is how the food and drink you are ingesting is affecting you internally, right?

Lemon juice is highly acidic right? It tastes sour, essentially lemon is citric acid.
    But when you drink freshly squeezed lemon juice with distilled water, it has a highly ALKALINE effect on your body internally.

Coke and sodas or coffee, don't taste acidic, but inside your stomach they become highly acidic and have an acidic effect on your system. Acidosis has been linked to cancer and other chronic disease in humans and animals.

Most commercial American food (burgers, fries, steaks, pasteurized milk etc) are highly acidic hence why every 4th American will get cancer in their life time.

Besides, if you are going to drink water, make sure its warm or room temperature, humans can't digest cold water, so it will give you indigestion.

You see prescription drugs for heart problems, cholesterol, weight management, heartburn etc etc, never cure anything.
    These drugs simply stop the symptoms from appearing and the patient thinks that their problem is now solved.
    Wrong.
    Besides, every drug has dozens of terrible side effects from nausea, to erectile dysfunction to head aches, liver and kidney damage, you name it.

What would you do if one day you were driving your Ferrari, and your engine light came on... would you stop at the nearest petrol servo, buy a screw driver and take out the engine light so it stops warning you about your engine problem?
    Or what would you do, if you were driving, suddenly you see blue smoke billowing out of the back exhausts? Would you stop at a gas station and buy some $50 bottle of "Stop Exhaust Smoke Solution?"

Or would you drive to the nearest mechanic and ask them to check your engine and ask them to check your exhaust and basically the entire car's internals?

Off course you would want to inspect your entire car, not rely on some gimmick products to hide the symptoms or take out the engine light, you'd be bloody dumb and reckless.

So why treat your car better than your body??

This is why it's important to eat right, exercise and take potent vitamins and supplements. Not rely on drugs to hide your symptoms of chronic disease.

I mean they are putting little children on psychoactive drugs, kids as young as 5 yo. What the doctors and parents should be doing is cutting out all sugar rich foods (cereals and candy) and avoid artificial colours (the good old red cordial) because it makes these kids hyper and lose concentration. But this iwll bever happen because there is too much money to be made from Kellogg Fruit Loops, Cocoa Pops and other junk that these large corporations sell.

Dont get me wrong, if a person breaks their leg, they should go to a local hospital to get a cast or a surgery to fix it.

However, when it comes to diabetes type 1 and 2, cancer, heart problems, lupus, arthritis... etc, my first stop would be a natural and holistic doctor... because you can keep those toxic drugs that hide the symptoms for yourself, Ill gladly eat my oats with blueberries to keep my cholesterol and fat down.

And you know what?? It works! Crazy... I know huh? That healthy food... As you Americans say it "That's whack y'all".

22. Ruski

Ruski Karting
    BANNED

Dec 17, 2009
    Chemtralia
    Some people can't be helped.

Look at smokers and hard drinkers in the world...

The only thing will change them is an early grave, death doesn't discriminate.

Oh well, their wife will inherit a nice F car to play with her new lover :D

Work hard unhealthy boys, your widow wifes and their future toy boys need your money. :D :D

PS I had a nasty GERD and reflux, the only thing that cured it was a healthy diet, not that purple nexium pill or any of the other proton pump inhibitors.

23. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    Here's my analogy:

If you were driving in the mountains and fell asleep at the wheel, there is a metal guardrail
    that would keep you on the road. In human terms that is Medicine. Yes, as a last resort
    it can keep you from going over the edge, but back on the road, would you continue your
    trip, not steering and just using the rail to guide you? That would ruin your car! No, you
    "take control" and guide yourself off those barriers. That's what people have to do with
    Medicines. If you get one in an emergency look to get off them ASAP, and "steer yourself
    healthy".

Thanks for your posts, nice to meet someone else here with some sense. :)

Cheers!
    Wes

24. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Cheers mate, interesting stuff. :)

25. Protouring442

Protouring442 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    Harriman, TN
    Full Name:
    One Stupid SOB
    Then I apologize concerning my assumptions.

In my defense, you have to understand that I hear all sort of "natural" remedies from all sort of people concerning my wife's MS, and I have seen the results when MS patients fall for such tomfoolery, thus I tend to be a bit on edge when I see such a chart, especially when it is connected to a web site hawking saliva test strips to check the PH of your body. Frankly, these sort of things rank right up there with those pads that "suck the toxins " out of your feet!

Again, I apologize if I came across a bit harsh.

Shiny Side Up!
    Bill