want to hear something scary??? | FerrariChat

want to hear something scary???

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by barryr, Jul 23, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. barryr

barryr Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2010
    Regina, Canada
    So after my car would not move under it's own power last fall, I spent a lot of time in my 0 degree garage this past winter. No travel allowed so I might as well fix everything needed on the TR. When the car quit moving I suspected the clutch, feared the diff.
    When I tore everything down the release bearing was very loud, you could see it was not releasing fully, the pressure plate showed uneven wear, hot spots on flywheel. intermediate plate and pressure plate. All replaced. Diff was not broken but I had the time so I replaced it with one of Newman's units. All parts inside are to spec, no missing teeth, no bad wear.
    I also replaced the usual belts, water pump, tensioner bearings, injectors, wires, plugs, filters, cleaned up rotors and caps. Bunch of seals, hoses, anything that might leak. All axle boots. All of the suspension bushings.
    The car runs fantastic on the lift. Starts instantly, dead steady idle, throttle response instantaneous and smooth.
    Clutch feel is perfect. full engagement about an inch from the top, no grind on shifts. BUT, You cannot stall the engine in gear, with the emergency brake fully engaged. Not good. Exactly the same issue as last fall.

When I replaced the diff i inspected everything I could see inside the transmission. I engaged every gear and rotated the wheels using the quill shaft. All seemed good.

I have a better inspection camera now.

lesson learned

everything coming out again

In the video the car is in gear. Same result in every gear.

sigh
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

2. barryr

barryr Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2010
    Regina, Canada
    So I did some disassembly this weekend and discovered a few things that others may find useful. Not the right thing for my car's problem yet though.

Some on this board have reported that their clutch would squeak. Mine old clutch did once in a while and the new one did as well. It looks like there is a slight mismatch in the tolerances between the clutch release bearing, release bearing carrier and the fingers of the pressure plate. When the everything is assembled for use the fingers interfere with the release bearing carrier. The carrier on my car is 45.3 mm. The opening between the fingers when the clutch is mounted is 43.8mm roughly. The carrier also is above the bearing slightly which contacts the tips of the pressure plate fingers.
    That is a new Hill Engineering bearing

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

turbo-joe likes this.
  3. barryr

barryr Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2010
    Regina, Canada
    #3 barryr, Jul 26, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
    On my original issue. The big lump that appeared on the main shaft bearing is really just the flat part you press in once the nut is torqued tight. There does seem to be a slight amount of play between the quill shaft and the main shaft. I can't tell if this is excessive. Does anyone have the dimensions of a new or good condition quill shaft, splines, both inner and outer? all of the splines on any place that has splines are straight but it is tough to eyeball too much wear. There are no missing splines and so far I the only piece if metal that I have found anywhere is about 1.5 mm square.
    All nuts at the ends of the shafts seam tight and I can detect no play.
    Thanks
    Barry
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. barryr

barryr Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2010
    Regina, Canada
    I have found the cause of the slippage.
    THANK YOU to the previous owners of my car and what had to be endless donuts and neutral drops. The clutch shaft and top drop gear in my transmission gearbox are stripped out. It looks like there may of been some epoxy? Liquid metal fix applied at some time before I bought the car.

5. barryr

barryr Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2010
    Regina, Canada
    Once or caused the epoxy to let go

Attached Files:

6. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    Is that your transfer case? top gear or bottom?

7. barryr

barryr Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2010
    Regina, Canada
    transfer case, top gear. The clutch is on the other end of the common shaft

8. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

I never understand what would posses someone to drive their car in a way to cause that type of damage. They just must simply be aholes.

9. barryr

barryr Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2010
    Regina, Canada
  10. barryr

barryr Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2010
    Regina, Canada
    Kind of falls into the “ Here, hold beer!” Category :)

11. barryr

barryr Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2010
    Regina, Canada
    Update
    I think I can confirm the clutch squeak of the bearing carrier touching the fingers of the pressure plate. I removed 1-1.5 mm from the ends of the fingers with a die grinder. The squeak appears to be gone, in my limited testing.
    As for the top gear in the transmission transfer gears. Gear 139208 does not exist as new anywhere I searched. Including factory, dealer network and parts suppliers. However from 1989 (1990 in parts catalogue, depending on serial numbers) and newer , the bell housing is the same, the quill shaft is the same, all the bearings are the same, the cover is the same, the clutch shaft is the same. So if you buy all 3 gears for a C8 series TR or any other model/ serial number/ version things should work. No weird noises yet, no binding, no excessive play.

12. barryr

barryr Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2010
    Regina, Canada
    Running

Attached Files:

13. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    if someone needs those 3 gears? I still have here 1 used set but still ok.