Want to Move to Vegas. How Safe Is It? | FerrariChat

Want to Move to Vegas. How Safe Is It?

Discussion in 'Arizona & New Mexico' started by stradalespider, Jun 29, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stradalespider

stradalespider Karting

Dec 1, 2007
    So, I'm really considering buying a house in Nevada. I'm going to be traveling back and forth to San Jose. I was born and raised in NYC, so I'm used to crime. But, I kinda want to go somewhere safer now. So, just wondering how safe Vegas is. Post any bad experiences as it'll help make my decision easier. By the way, I'm 23 and will be living alone ;).

Anyways, here's the house:
    3995 W Jo Rae Av Las Vegas, NV 89141

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/3995-W-Jo-Rae-Ave_Las-Vegas_NV_89141_M28382-54906?source=web

2. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Compared to what?

I've lived there 5 years and never had a problem. But, I don't try to sell drugs in an alley in North Las Vegas on a Friday night either.

It's all relative. Crime is not something that concerns me when living there. Is there crime? Sure. But I don't think it's any different than any other similar city of the same size. There is not "special" about Las Vegas that makes it any better or worse than others.

One thing you've discovered is that you can get a tremendous amount of property for that sum. Also, no state income tax.

Also, if you bring or buy an F car, the dealer is first rate. I like the night life and the locals are friendly. If there's a negative it's the times when it's windy, hot, or cold.

3. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    #3 ryalex, Jun 30, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
    That's a fairly quiet area, although close the freeway. My general advice on homes is to be either West of Buffalo or South of the 215. There are nice pockets in other areas but in general those are the nicest regions of the valley. If your business doesn't take you to the East or North of the valley, you'll probably never feel unsafe. Even then, like Bob mentioned if you're not affiliating with the wrong people or being absolutely careless about where you are [and when], even the "rough" parts of town are not a problem.

Here's a crime map (Metro puts one out too)
    http://www.trulia.com/crime/#!clark-nv/12/36.12843,-115.18418/Sunrise_Manor,NV/

4. vegas1

vegas1 F1 Rookie

Jul 28, 2004
    Australia
    I've always felt safe in Las Vegas.

I was pretty scared last time I visited Beale Street in Memphis though.

5. F40

F40 F1 Rookie

Apr 16, 2003
    AZ
    It's pretty safe, and a lot easier to legally defend yourself, and acquire the tools to do so, than NYC.

6. normv

normv F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2005
    Mishawaka In
    Full Name:
    Norm
    Hello that house is beautiful and as said before Vegas is great just dont buy drugs in a dark alley( make sure its has good lighting first, LOL ) You should be fine, thanks Norm

7. stradalespider

stradalespider Karting

Dec 1, 2007
    LOL!
    Are there any restrictions on water usage? Do you guys have a lot of critters running around?

Thanks for the help!

8. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    I've been going to Vegas for the past 10 years and always loved the diversity of just about everything. We are planning to move there with the kids as soon as we sell the house. I look forward to meeting all the F-guys soon. Las Vegas is not for everyone but there is no other city like it anywhere.

9. russell@ravg.com

May 4, 2004
    Not to make your decision more complicated . . .

I grew up in NYC. I live in Vegas now (in summerlin). You appear to be looking in Southern Highlands. I am not sure if you have been to look at the house or neighborhood yet.

First of all, where you are looking Safety wont be an issue, for you or the car, dont worry about it. Vegas is fun, but it is not what the stereotype is when living way off strip. I moved here at 37 (4 years ago), with a wife and kids. If not on the strip, it would be like someome looking at Time Square asking people what it is like to move to NY, then moving to the upper east side.

One of the nice things about Vegas is that you are never more than 40 minutes away from ANYTHING. They think they have traffic, they are wrong. You can live in a real house, and be 15-25 (in "traffic") minutes from some of the best food and shopping in the world (imagine being able to live in Long Island, and it NEVER taking longer than 25 minutes to get to ANY part of Manhattan).

The only monkey wrench I might put in here, is although I think Southern Highlands is beautiful, and it is certainly safe, there is a reason the house price is where it is at. When everything stopped building that area was not all that built out yet. As a result, there are few supermarkets. restaurants etc. . . As an example, Summerlin has a Whole Foods, I dont think SH could support one.

Summerlin is by far my first choice. There is a lot of "normal" stuff going on. And just more access to every day things (more drug stores, supermarkets, restaurants, local bars, etc . . .)

Also, although Vegas does not have much traffic to speak of, the 15 which goes to LA can get backed up on Friday and Sunday. It is harder to avoid from SH. From Summerlin you can take 215 around if you feel like opening a car up, or take Flamingo, tropicana, Desert Inn etc all straight down to the strip (or airport) if you want.

If you are not under contract, I would at least look in the Summerlin area (I like the ridges, and although the prices have come down a bit they may still be high, you can also look at red rock country club). If you want to PM me, I am not a realtor, but one of my closest friends in Vegas is, and he is about as honest as they come (have had him tell many people a house is S**T and not to buy it). He knows Ken, so if Ken is your agent, obviously I dont want to cause an issue. Oh he also happens to Race Cars.

Sorry for the long answer, but safety? Not an issue (of course in the late 80's I used to go to the port authority at night to go the meadowlands to bet horses, then came back bowled, drank underage, and took the train home, which I hope my kids never do).

10. russell@ravg.com

May 4, 2004
    Almost forgot to mention . . .

Where I can understand the reasons you probably dont want to do it, Rent something in town first. Even if it is just for 3 months. I am not worried you change mind and want to leave Vegas, more you decide you picked the wrong neighborhood. Once you own here right now, it is VERY VERY hard to get out. Also some great rental deals out there.

11. crcs

crcs Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 18, 2009
    Burlington Ontario
    You must be the Sinoala's cartel new Vegas go to guy to be buying that at 23.

12. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    #12 ryalex, Jul 5, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
    There are assigned watering days which are not enforced (I live in a non HOA community). No limits on water.

As for critters: roaches and spiders. Some neighborhoods have scorpions but I haven't seen one yet. Black widows rarely come indoors but will be around any bushes or stuff left against walls. Spraying regularly and keeping a clean perimeter around the house keep them down.

One huge perk: no mosquitoes! Too dry for their larvae to grow.

Also I agree with the advice to rent before buying. You don't know yet what you like and don't like. And the double age to cheap homes is that homes are on the market for a while.

13. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I watch a probably biased program on this guy that was taking photos of "people" in Las Vegas not long ago ... no way in hell I'd ever live any where near there.

Looked like a place that sucked the life out of people and then they were stuck there.
    Pete

14. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    Every city has those "people", and not just in the US. Las Vegas is great as long as you know where you're going, just like any other city.

15. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I watched a program on this country that was a prison colony not long ago ... no way in hell I'd ever live any where near there.

16. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Better not visit peopleofkmartaustrailia.com either.

17. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Glad to here this. Program was scary.

And yes most definitely Sydney is far from perfect, but LV is not for me.
    Pete

18. phdev

phdev Formula Junior

Dec 26, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    Full Name:
    Ian Mason
    rebill monies? lol :)

Anyway, I love the home styles in vegas and that cheap life feeling goes away when you move away from the strip area, in my experience. I've never lived in vegas though. Good luck.

19. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Well...... that place looks like dump! :D

I'm from NYC, and if you have any common sense and good 'ol NYC street smarts, safety in Vegas won't be an issue.

But keep in mind, if you buy and change your mind....... you ain't getting out easily.

20. stradalespider

stradalespider Karting

Dec 1, 2007
    Luckily, I like living in dumps! I dont plan on selling even if I dont like it there. I have plenty of other places to live...

21. 8valve

8valve Formula 3

Sep 3, 2003
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Mick A.
    Not sure what the preferred runway usage is at McCarran, but that property is almost directly under the approach path for runway 01R....noisy maybe?