Wanted: Hotel Suggestion in LA near Staples Center | FerrariChat

Wanted: Hotel Suggestion in LA near Staples Center

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by SAFE4NOW, Sep 20, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    I haven't been to LA in over 20 years , certainly not downtown, so I am looking for suggestions for a nice / interesting hotel near the Staples Center for several nights in early December.

While the Ritz would be my go to, I am looking for another option that I may over look just searching online or on Hotels.com ( Up to $350.00 a night would be nice )

Thank you in advance for your suggestions!

S

2. kane00

kane00 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 4, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Hotel Fig just got a complete over haul and is super cool. https://www.hotelfigueroa.com

The Ace Hotel is good as well, but nearly as close to Staples.

The Nomad is new as well and very cool. Same as Ace, its a few blocks away from Staples.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  3. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    For occasional Music Center visits, my/our "go to" overnight stays have been in Biltmore & Bonaventure, both multiple times and like any other places, each with their positives and negatives.
    I like Biltmore for its vintage architecture, decor and vibe, Bonaventure for its renown beds + convenient and accommodating valet which usually allows me to park my (vintage) cars myself. Architecture, especially lobby, hallways, etc with their decor of Bonaventure is almost depressing, sort of reminds me of '70s/'80s eastern European/Soviet Union-era "accomplishments".
    Both have (almost) large enough pools for actual swimming and both within short walking distance from the Music Center, distance to Staples might be double.
    Wishing to try something different, wife once made reservations to Standard, but upon seeing the room (too austere/college dormitory/hip -like for us), we turned around, went downstairs, got a refund and drove across the street to Bonaventure.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  4. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    SAFE4NOW likes this.
  5. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    +1 on the Hotel Fig for a cool vibe. Indigo looks OK too.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  6. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I have stayed recently at all three and this is spot on. Hotel Fig is quieter and more subdued than the others.
    I'll add that the Hotel Fig has some great deals on their website.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  7. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Hotel Fig it is!

Thank you for all of the insight and opinions, I may stop in on the other suggestions for a drink just to check them out!

S

8. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    Ride the outdoor glass slide at the US Bank building :) it’s on the 70th floor. Something odd to do while in downtown. However, there are some really great restaurants. Check out the arts district.

Oh by the way, there are a ton of homeless in DTLA. It’s surprising and sad to see all the encampments and people. Most keep to themselves but I get accosted time to time.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  9. kane00

kane00 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 4, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Keith
    I've been in DTLA for 5 years now, owned a restaurant here as well. All the hotels mentioned are cool and have some great bars and restaurants.

You will like Hotel Fig, it has a cool bar/pool scene on Sat and Sun as well.

Enjoy

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  10. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Hotel Fig was great!
    Room was nice, hotel staff attentive, and I'd stay again.

Minor damage to rental while parked in valet care, still in process. After I approached valet manager requesting damage report ( because he claimed it was already there ) and/or parking lot video ( camera's present ) he made a passive/aggressive comment about how owners ( me ) don't realize they damaged their car all the time.... I mentioned to him that I was not the normal owner , and re-asked for the above documentation.

With that said, walked almost 20,000 steps at the Auto Show in one day!

Mashti Malones - Persian Ice Cream store
    Grand Central Market - Egg Slut FTW ! ( and another 7 food stops inside the market! )
    US Bank Building for the views
    The Beverly Hills Hotel - The Fountain Room for a shake and fun conversation with the staff
    Mulholland Drive for the drive
    Visited Tehrangeles
    and more!

Nice visit, I look forward to coming back again soon in 2019

S

11. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Funny thing. I have trekked to DTLA and hasseled parking several times to eat there, and buy bread while waiting in line. That said, there is another one just a hop skip and a jump from here in Venice and I haven't been there once! :)

SAFE4NOW likes this.