Wanted: Rear Michelin TRX Tires for 86 TR | FerrariChat

Wanted: Rear Michelin TRX Tires for 86 TR

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Doug Almond, May 23, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Doug Almond

Doug Almond Rookie

May 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    Larry D Almond
    Hi

I am looking for the infamous 280/45/VR415 rear tires for my 1986 Testarossa. They can be slightly used or new/old stock. I will be using these for just display only. I have luckily found some front and year 16' wheels that I can use to drive the car. I have called every Ferrari parts dealer on every continent, called Coker and Longstone and a number of other dealers. I even investigated getting the existing ones re-threaded but no one will touch it even though I tell them they are display only.

Thanks

Doug

2. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    what's the purpose for the display? I don't understand.

3. Doug Almond

Doug Almond Rookie

May 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    Larry D Almond
    i have 16x8 and 16x10 knockoffs to drive on but will put the period correct metric rims and period correct tires when I put the car in shows.

4. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    the 16's are period correct. Don't even worry about the TRX nonsense. You're not going to lose any points having the 16's on it. As for any other non-ferrari specific show, not one person will even bring up the TRXs. Many '86's came with the non metric wheels and there wasn't any rhyme or reason with what was mounted from the factory.

MOSS likes this.
  5. efes9

efes9 Karting

Oct 22, 2014
    I'm in a similar situation, except I only have my 2001 TRXs (rear; got new fronts about a year ago).

I don't like the 18" wheels from the UK (don't like the look). Have seen what appeared to be a 16" replica TR wheel complete with the knock of spline. But thus far, have not source this wheel. Does anyone have any info in this regard?

Alternatively, is there a factory 16" Wheel (ie non-metric wheel) with the knock off spline hub? If so, does anyone know where to source these?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

6. Doug Almond

Doug Almond Rookie

May 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    Larry D Almond
    The late production 86's and the 87 TRs came with 16x8 front and 16x10 rears that will fit on the 85 and 86 cars. It took me 4 months to find the non metric wheels. I found the fronts in Belgium and the rears in New York.

7. Longstone Tyres

Longstone Tyres Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    spence88mph likes this.
  8. montpellier

montpellier Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2009
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I had to do the same, it is very hard to find the 16" central spline , and cost is huge. Indeed,there are going to be many early cars unable to be driven in future as there are no tyres. So more wheels are needed !

9. Longstone Tyres

Longstone Tyres Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
  10. 500tr

500tr Formula 3

Feb 28, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Volkmar Spielmann
    It's simple: In 1985 and 86, customers could choose wether they want TRX or 16". Both versions were offered for Monospecchio cars.

11. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    What happened with the great TRX tires? They were supposed to be the wave of future technology?