Wanted: Salvage 308 | FerrariChat

Wanted: Salvage 308

Discussion in '308/328' started by Jonny Law, Sep 19, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    Looking for a 308 with a salvage title or reconstructed. A project I am looking at pursuing would involve taking apart a 308, piece by piece and putting it back together. I would rather not do this with a current good condition running one and ideally a fresh water flood vehicle would work best. Need the body panels intact with no dents, but not concerned with the paint. Not too concerned with the condition of the interior, and do not need a motor or transmission.

If you hear of anything, please let me know. Thx, Jon

Claudia k likes this.
  2. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I would dig around south Florida or the Houston area. There HAS to be one in either of those places that got wet beyond repair

3. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Or call Rutland's in Atlanta. They are always dragging one in

4. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Here is an '82 GTSi flood damaged I happened to stumble across recently. White- $6,800. Car seems to be undamaged but didn't see pic of the front. Good luck.

http://readytofix.com/CL/308.htm

5. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Seems too good to be true, but it fills the OP's needs for sure. There are $7000 in parts visible in the first photo alone.

6. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Flood damage vehicles are a nightmare! :eek: The only way it makes sense to tackle a flood car is if the vehicle is exceptionally rare or exceedingly valuable, otherwise...it's not worth the hassle. Vehicle chassis are not sealed up water tight, a submerged chassis will get water everywhere! then oxidation starts from the inside out.

7. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Yep, there's a reason they call them totaled.

8. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    I though there might be one or two show up as a result of the storms. Wanted to get the word out before the breakers got a hold of them.

I'll try them. Thx

9. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    This one has been around for a couple of years. It pops up every so often. Most of the web sites want a large deposit and they will let you know if you bid won. Thx

10. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    This will be a bare bones tear down. With fresh water the rust would be a lot lower.

11. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Not to mention all the serpents that got into the nooks and crannies.

12. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Having taken these down to their skeletons, water at any level makes them a total loss. One of the bigger issues is the steel itself, it was not virgin steel, hence it's rusts from the inside out as it is. Adding water only makes it worse. The factory tried to coat and seal so there is goop in some of the oddest places making a strip down job a real PITA and you'd have to really strip it down, as in cutting off body panels. That just doesn't make any financial sense at all. Not to rain on your parade but I'd seriously consider finding a non-flood chassis.

13. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    The long term issue with a flood car is really in the electricals. You CAN save one and be fine - as long as the ENTIRE wiring harness is replace and I mean every mm.

I have a car that went totally under in 2002. I left a layer of silt on the top of the rear view mirror just as a conversation piece. I was able to save it but it wasn't easy and the only reason I did it was for sentimental reasons. Had it been any other car, I wouldn't have bothered to even go get it from the shop it was in when the flood hit.

When I say that car went completely under water I mean had I been standing on the roof, the water would have been just under my knees.

14. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    If it was a 308/328 then you've got a golden horse shoe :cool:
    Seriously though, it comes down to the vehicle in question. Ferrari's esp those of the 70's and 80's are going to have loads of hidden issues after going for a swim. The GT4, 308/328.. the lower floor is a sandwich of fiberglass, molded to the chassis, you'd have to cut out the floor in sections to get all the water and moisture out of those nooks and crannies. uggh:eek::eek: no thanks. Having cut 90's era Ferrari's in half the floor has many pockets that would never dry out... yuck, stagnant water sloshing about oxidizing away... nothing like orange CrMo slurry seeping out of the corners like last weeks trash soup:eek:

15. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy

It was my 1980 Scirocco. Thank god that they were just barely a step above a Beetle in their complexity back then. Yanking everything out of the inside takes 10 minutes.

16. SaratogaCA

SaratogaCA Formula Junior

Sep 11, 2016
    Saratoga, CA
    Full Name:
    Sam T.
    But in RISKY BUSINESS, Tom Cruise's Porsche 928 went for a swim, but was fully recovered, and his Dad was none the wiser.

Are you saying that I can't believe what I see in 80s teenage flicks?

17. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    The Porsche 928 is air/ water tight in construction. Once the front bonnet is closed only place water can get into the engine bay is through the fuel injection breather hose ,where it's caught in a special air filter. Google "928 accidents" and you will find many accidents caused by driving with the windows closed. Driver simply loses consciousness due to oxygen starvation.

18. Tojo

Tojo Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2002
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Tim
    That particular website has plenty of questions being asked on google if it's a scam or not. I don't see too many positive stories about readytofix. Be wary if you go down that path.

19. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    Hi Rutlands has several 308s in various conditions. Please call or PM me here!

20. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    Will do. Thx

21. 365boxer

365boxer Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2004
    La Drova, Spain
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Like this you mean !

22. 365boxer

365boxer Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2004
    La Drova, Spain
    Full Name:
    Nick

Attached Files:

23. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Thanks for posting the photos Nick. Been here over 10 years and have never seen the 308 complete subframe structure. Very cool!

24. 365boxer

365boxer Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2004
    La Drova, Spain
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Sorry to disappoint but that's a 365 Boxer, very similar though.

25. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    No disappointment at all. Thank you for the clarification.