Warbird Pebble Beach Concours AIRVENTURE? | FerrariChat

Warbird Pebble Beach Concours AIRVENTURE?

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by F1tommy, Aug 15, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    I was thinking about this when up at Air Venture this year. Would that be considered the Pebble Beach for warbirds and civil aircraft?? Some of the aircraft were so perfect it totally reminded me of the times I went to Pebble Beach to look at cars(this is not a debate on how fair judging is at either event).

Here is this years P51C winner from Air Venture 2018. The 2 Tigercats were also beyond nice. Everything looked better than new.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. mrcarlosspicey

mrcarlosspicey Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    Omaha
    Full Name:
    Parker
    Would be kind of neat but most airports aren't scenic or ritzy enough.

3. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
  4. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I've been to airshows that were paired with classic car shows, but usually the aircraft draw most of the attention. I took my car to one of those at Rome, GA, a number of years ago.

The British have it lucky with race tracks that used to be the perimeter roads of wartime airfields, like Silverstone (originally) and Goodwood. The current events at the latter usually feature a number of Spitfires and other warbirds.

5. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    The British do have some nice venues, but they are mainly cars. I am not talking about combining the two. My point is EAA Air Venture is the Pebble Beach Concours for EAA experimental vintage aircraft in the USA and maybe the world.

6. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark
    It is the best iteration that Aviation has of Pebble Beach. Just wish it would have a more formal judging process and a more knowledgable judging base. Some of the geezers judging don't have the slightest clue what they are looking at at AirVenture....

I know, I've done it...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner

That's ok.. I sometimes feel no matter where you go the judges are more connected than knowledgeable. I hear the same thing about Pebble Beach from people not within their inner circle, although the EAA should try to do better.