430 - Warning about 430 on the market | Page 2 | FerrariChat

430 Warning about 430 on the market

Discussion in '360/430' started by FSM348, Oct 6, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    umm no one is assessing your character at all - we are just commenting that your ask is somewhat unreasonable. it foreshadows possible litigation. "no known mechanical issues with the car as of the date of this agreement" are words no ferrari (maybe car) owner can ever utter with complete confidence, never mind agree to in writing...which is why dealers needs to sell cars with 30 day warranties etc.

GTUnit, Oengus, Jason1031 and 7 others like this.
  2. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    posting a "warning" and the guys vin number is actually pretty absurd. You just doing that, means anyone googling the vin from now on will think something is wrong with that car, when really there is no proof or reason to think that from what you went through..As someone who goes to the lengths of posting a warning along with a vin (when you didn't see anything wrong with the car) that indicates the seller probably felt you will be a headache or a nightmare to deal with and decided to avoid the situation all together.

your intentions are fine, but you have now sullied that vin# forever..and for what reason? Now if the seller way lying about something or you had a PPI and found out major issues that weren't disclosed afterwards when you walked away, thats a diff story.

Personally i would not buy the car without a PPI or talking to the mechanic where the car is serviced first, but that would be discussed before making a deal and agreeing on a price (or at least say "contingent on ppi results)

PKIM, JaguarXJ6, GTUnit and 3 others like this.
  3. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Nobody said anything about your character. You’re free to buy another car. If the seller won’t allow a PPI, that’s what you should do. 430s are great cars. Enjoy when you get!

4. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    As echoed by many here, the "no known issues" wording is unorthodox, and I would not be comfortable with anything than standard practice - that is, an "As-Is" sale. That said, I do find it odd and suspect that he was not willing to have a PPI done on your dime. That would be a show stopper for me as well.
    Best wishes on your search.

5. dweintra

dweintra Karting

Aug 16, 2012
    Seattle, WA and Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Don Weintraub
    Hi Dan, I would like to message you about this car, but I cannot seem to be able to do so. I have interest in this car and stumbled upon this post. It is still available. Is there a way to reach you privately on here? thx

6. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    The car was on CL in the Orlando FL section. Seems like a lot of car for the $$$

7. FSM348

FSM348 Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2017
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Dan Smith
    I bought an absolutely perfect 430 from a member here and paid a bit more but couldn’t be happier. My advice, get a PPI and have a friend from here who knows the 430 look at it and drive it. Could be a good deal, be the current owner wouldn’t even allow a PPI. Very happy with mine that came with a Full PPI.

8. FSM348

FSM348 Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2017
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Dan Smith
    Looks like you jumped to heavy conclusions. Bought a fantastic 430 from a member here with no issues and I would even call him a friend at this point to a degree. Thanks for the character assumption. Thanks be never meet you but you would be disappointed with the differences between your assumption and who I represent myself as.

read above quote. I’d say that was a direct attack on my character. To each their own.

there is no recent PPI on that car according to seller and he flat out said no to having one done.

keep beating a dead horse folks. I tried to warn and apparently walked into a bees nest of BS. Like I said, nobody worry about me bringing up a potential bad seller again. Lesson learned.

for now I’m enjoying the beautiful 430 I got from a very decent guy who had all service records and PPI done prior to listing it. Great communication and super honest. What more can I ask for.

9. Apollo 11

Apollo 11 Karting

Feb 11, 2019
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Good for you and enjoy the car :)

10. dweintra

dweintra Karting

Aug 16, 2012
    Full Name:
    Don Weintraub
    Glad to hear you found a great 430! I would not buy one without a PPI either. Did you actually look at the car in person or no? Just wondering if you had seen the car to assess the condition in person.

11. dweintra

dweintra Karting

Aug 16, 2012
    Full Name:
    Don Weintraub
    I was seriously interested in the car and had a very good conversation with the owner I felt good about. I followed up again and unfortunately, the OP is right and he will not allow a PPI by anyone. This was a pre-offer question not related to any terms or conditions. Looks like a nice vehicle, but too many out there and more to come. I am shopping if anyone knows of any 430's not listed. Red coupe ideally.....clean but not too perfect I won't feel bad tracking it a bit and running around the city.

12. Apollo 11

Apollo 11 Karting

Feb 11, 2019
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I wound't even consider a car where the owner wouldn't allow a PPI to be performed. Huge red flag.

f355spider, arizonaitalian and Robb like this.
  13. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    No reason to buy any Ferrari without the ability to do a PPI. That seller is on crack.

Robb

arizonaitalian likes this.
  14. efg2014

efg2014 Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2014
    Northern California
    #39 efg2014, Nov 18, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
    I think you have to be careful when accusing someone. Did the prospective buyer ask why the seller would not allow a PPI? Assuming the seller is hiding something and is a crook is unfair. Is it a red flag, not to allow a PPI? Yes and it requires clarification. I would have said "May I ask why you won't allow a PPI?". The resulting answer in this case was insufficient and it was wise to walk away. To avoid the pitfalls of finding and buying a car from a private party, it may pay to but it from a place like yellow compass or some similar outfit.

15. njcycleguy

njcycleguy Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 27, 2008
    Northeast
    Has it crossed anyone's mind that the ad and seller may have been a scam hence the reason the guy won't commit to a PPI? The car appears to be for sale in California now for $66,000 and original Florida CL ad had it's post removed.

sf_hombre likes this.
  16. dweintra

dweintra Karting

Aug 16, 2012
    Full Name:
    Don Weintraub
    The reason given was that he did not trust any of the places in his area to look at the car. My gut feeling says it is not any kind of scam, but without a PPI I had no further reason to pursue.

17. FSM348

FSM348 Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2017
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Dan Smith
    Thanks for posting your experience. Mirrored my experience as well unfortunately. I’m so glad I passed on the car honestly, I firmly believe you buy as much of the previous owners ticks as you do the actual car. So glad I bought from a very honest and open seller. It shows in the car.

I doubt yellow compass would touch the seller with a 10 foot pole. Hopefully more folks in this thread are finally seeing reality about the seller. For those that still doubt it, maybe you should buy it and let us know how it works out.

Apollo 11 likes this.
  18. Fireman1291

Fireman1291 Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Buy my car that's for sale. More expensive? Yes, but faster than a F430, newer, still under warranty and maintenance and you can PPI it all day for all I care. :)

-Adam

19. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    I flew out, drove it, bought it and it's with me in Colorado hence why the ad was taken down. You can find my thread in the 360/430 section detailing the research I did prior to flying out.

The seller is an Fchat member folks. You can search the phone number, find their name and spouses name, and coupled with the CarFax the info snowballs from there. The CarFax shows where it was maintained by Owner #3 for most of its miles. I talked with the service advisors both at Prestige and The Collection so the car was real.

And in person, it was immediately clear why he was hesitant in dealing with people.

Two people flew out before me weeks prior. One a rich "shot caller" who backed out due to wife permission issues so they claim and the other went cold which a ring to the insurance company found out it was cancelled and they fessed up a divorce situation looming and apologized.

It's his 4th Ferrari and had mediocre experiences at the stealerships. He is overly meticulous and resprayed the front bumper to perfection. He was jumping out of his skin the moment I put it in 1st to pull out of a parking lot to start my test drive. May have been afraid of both my younger age and tire kickers.

I put him at ease and started a casual to frisky controlled test drive.

It starts flawlessly, no discoloration around either manifold, no strange noises, leaks, paint or interior issues, sings to redline easily, with a fresh clutch and new tires with service records.

The only issues of note are it's due for an oil change, both front windows need a slight realignment against the seal a common issue, and I notice one of the passenger tail lights has a slight vibration also common. I found a previous owner at some point put touch up over the factory clear bra but the paint was pristine under. It's now getting a full clear bra, tint, and exhaust.

I didn't intend my first Ferrari being a "red, tan, shields." It's a win in my book.

Attached Files:

cavlino, E60 M5 and EastMemphis like this.
  20. FSM348

FSM348 Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2017
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Dan Smith
    Nice! Glad the car was good and found a home. Not the type of seller I will deal with in the future but all is well that ends well. Still doesn’t make sense he wouldn’t let anybody inspect the car but congrats on the car.

21. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Me too! I am looking for a driver, so the CarFax bothers me none and works to my favor. He insisted on loading it onto the enclosed transport and the driver issued me the instruction only I am to unload it. I was much less worried. :)

22. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    nice, well done! i love acquiring assets that are misunderstood or unloved

JaguarXJ6 likes this.
  23. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    #48 JaguarXJ6, Jan 20, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    After purchase inspection (minus leakdown/compression) is complete and thought I would check in.

It needs motor mounts, a brake wear sensor wire was split on driver front caliper, and when they replaced the clutch they didn't reset the wear percentage as it shows 100% worn. It has recent MKII manifolds. It's also been lowered about 3/4 inch in the rear. No leaks of any kind.

NoKidsNeedFerrari and APA#1 like this.
  24. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    I thought I would post a little update since it's been 3 years!

Right after taking delivery the battery drain issue the car had was traced to a faulty microswitch in the passenger door lock.

Performed a major 30K mile service, smoke tested manifolds for leaks, and did a cold compression check. 145psi with less than 5psi variance cold across all cylinders. Corrected for elevation this is 165psi cold.

At 34,xxx miles it was necessary to replace the driver's side fuel pump weeping from the top hat.

At 39,xxx miles I had a pinhole leak develop from in one of the F1 hoses in close proximity to the pump. The line was rubbing against something that vibration eventually wore away the braided insulation and damaged the rubber. This left me stranded on a 100F day in a shopping center parking lot. Even AAA was having problems with tow trucks in demand that day but luckily found one after waiting a total of 3 hours. Also did major service #2 since it was in the shop.

Now at 42,xxx miles and about to wake him this weekend from a four month winter slumber thanks to a wave of 40F temperature days to melt the last of the ice clinging to the driveway.

And Italian cars even leak in "Italian." :) The little bit of humor from the F1 leak fiasco left in the parking lot.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

cavlino and robertjskelton like this.
  25. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    I also added ceramic tint and put Llumar Platinum PPF over the entire car before I put a mile on it. Yes, the entire car because mileage and I will be no stranger.

We also discovered that someone at some point applied touch up paint of Rosso Corsa (wrong color) to the factory clear bra sections along the lower rear of the sills. Hilarious.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

RedNeck and cavlino like this.